Minoxidil post transplant

WhatComesNext

Hi guys,

I recently had a 4500 graft HT at Eugenix on Nov 8th to 10th. I'm looking at ways of both minimizing potential shock loss of existing hair in frontal area and mid scalp and for accellerating the growth of the transplanted hair.

I've researched whether or not minoxidil would help significantly in these areas or not. It seems to be the case but I'm a little concerned with having to use it forever if I start. I am already on Fin.

I was hoping to hear some anecdotal experiences from forum members about whether or not it is worth it to start on minoxidil mainly to make sure my existing hair doesn't shock loss out. If the frontal existing hair did shock loss out that would be a nightmare scenario, leaving a gaping bald spot in my hairline. Here is how my hair looked pre transplant to give you guys an idea:

received_279517220767588.jpeg

20211004_104040.jpg

Minoxidil will definitely boost your transplant growth and also help with your existing hairs.

I am currently a minoxidil user for over 5 years, but am more concerned how soon to restart it after a transplant, and maybe is it ok to take it orally in the meantime and switch back to topical after a certain amount of time. 

32 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Minoxidil will definitely boost your transplant growth and also help with your existing hairs.

I am currently a minoxidil user for over 5 years, but am more concerned how soon to restart it after a transplant, and maybe is it ok to take it orally in the meantime and switch back to topical after a certain amount of time. 

Thanks for the fast reply @asterix0. I've seen the internet saying that it's okay if you use it for 6 months post HT and stop - but other users saying once you start it you have to use it forever. Confusing. 

No, do not stop minoxidil, you must continue to use it.

Is it annoying? Yes, very much so, it is inconvenient. However, I got on it because I wanted to go all out with keeping as much hair as I could, so I used it together with finasteride, and it has definitely helped me. I would be slick bald Norwood 6 without finasteride and minoxidil, that is 100% fact. 

Unfortunately, the photos are not very good.  Seems you've kept a strong forelock but there seems to be little else.  I would not worry much about shock loss in the front.  I would however, urge you to consider getting on all modalities to help you retain the native hair.  What area(s) did they work? Hopefully they concentrated the grafts and not put them diffusely throughout the pattern.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Yes it is advised to use minoxidil post transplant. a general rule is to use maintenance meds for as long as you care :))

• Like 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

29 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Unfortunately, the photos are not very good.  Seems you've kept a strong forelock but there seems to be little else.  I would not worry much about shock loss in the front.  I would however, urge you to consider getting on all modalities to help you retain the native hair.  What area(s) did they work? Hopefully they concentrated the grafts and not put them diffusely throughout the pattern.  

They rebuilt around the frontal lock - lots of transplants to the sides of the lock but left the frontal lock mostly alone, with some thickening happening. Good to know I don't have to be too heavily concerned about shock loss in the front. I will get on 5% minoxidil right away since I'm now 12 days out. Is it okay if there's still redness/flaking or should I wait for that to be over before starting the minox?

Looks like this now: 

20211122_114822.jpg

Edited by WhatComesNext

Maybe I was just lucky, but I've never had any medications for hair prior to surgery or post surgery.  My first surgery was 9 years ago.  I also didn't experience any noticeable shock loss.  Again, maybe I'm just lucky but I never wanted to have to take medications for hair loss or retention.  I do respect doctors recommendations for others.  I wonder how many others on this website experienced great growth and retention of hair without meds.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators
On 11/22/2021 at 8:33 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Yes it is advised to use minoxidil post transplant. a general rule is to use maintenance meds for as long as you care :))

^this

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.