If you knew this was your final hair loss pattern (pics)

If you could look into the future and knew this would be your final destination in terms of hair loss, would you proceed with an HT? What would be a reasonable expectation in terms of results over time?

I will start my own thread soon, but basically I am now reaching a crossroads as to whether I want to pull the trigger on a hair transplant or shave down and move on. These are photos of my father’s hair, he’s in his 70s. While my family history of MPB is mixed, I am fairly certain that this pattern is close to where I’m headed. I don't think it will be any worse than this, as his loss was more aggressive at a younger age, his brothers have more hair than he does, and all of the men on the maternal side of my family have amazing, full heads of hair. So I feel fairly secure in assuming that this would be my “floor” in terms of MPB. A high NW but with pretty dense, slightly wavy donor hair, no retrograde thinning (my father and I also have very similar hair characteristics and donor density). 

Curious as to people’s opinions on what would be a reasonable expectation of the HT route over the long haul given this donor/hair. 

I’m not on fin due to having experienced side effects in the past. Using topical minoxidil only. 

024E498E-9951-4B72-94C8-1D8099E18F01.jpeg

5B79231C-072E-41A3-A618-67C0004B4447.jpeg

ADAA8878-E016-4419-9B8F-17806CD5BFB2.jpeg

7AE0FE2E-55DC-455A-9725-15908398FAF3.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yesplease said:

If you could look into the future and knew this would be your final destination in terms of hair loss, would you proceed with an HT? What would be a reasonable expectation in terms of results over time?

I will start my own thread soon, but basically I am now reaching a crossroads as to whether I want to pull the trigger on a hair transplant or shave down and move on. These are photos of my father’s hair, he’s in his 70s. While my family history of MPB is mixed, I am fairly certain that this pattern is close to where I’m headed. I don't think it will be any worse than this, as his loss was more aggressive at a younger age, his brothers have more hair than he does, and all of the men on the maternal side of my family have amazing, full heads of hair. So I feel fairly secure in assuming that this would be my “floor” in terms of MPB. A high NW but with pretty dense, slightly wavy donor hair, no retrograde thinning (my father and I also have very similar hair characteristics and donor density). 

Curious as to people’s opinions on what would be a reasonable expectation of the HT route over the long haul given this donor/hair. 

I’m not on fin due to having experienced side effects in the past. Using topical minoxidil only. 

024E498E-9951-4B72-94C8-1D8099E18F01.jpeg

5B79231C-072E-41A3-A618-67C0004B4447.jpeg

ADAA8878-E016-4419-9B8F-17806CD5BFB2.jpeg

7AE0FE2E-55DC-455A-9725-15908398FAF3.jpeg

In the case I got sides with Finasteride and heading for Norwood 7, I would only consider doing surgery, starting with FUT then FUE if:

1. My donor is some sick amount of grafts per cm2, like 120+ grafts/cm2

2. If I dont have that, I have a extremely good neck beard and atleast 85+ grafts/cm2 in the donor area. 

Otherwise I would be too worried about not getting the density I want to get good coverage.

Its fun to see all these amazing turnarounds, but you need to think it through.

Edited by digi23

8 minutes ago, HHH said:

I doubt minoxidil alone will do much to stem the hairloss, but you never know. Would you consider a HT/ hair system mix, like the below?

Agree re minox, but it’s all there is (for me) and better than nothing. 

Definitely won’t do a hair system. 

Absolutely, it's always worth trying, and tbh I was on minoxidil for about 5 years before adding fin, think it helped prevent the crown from receding as much as it otherwise might have, although didn't help the front at all.

Yeah fair enough on the hair system, I just saw that case earlier and thought it looked good. Doubt that's a route i'd take either.

SMP is getting better by the year though so I guess that's an option as well?

Using relatives' hairloss is an ok barometer but is far from a certainty......

That being said, if I knew my final hairloss pattern was going to be a NW7, I would only go the HT route if I had a ton of money to burn and could afford one of the most elite-surgeons. For NW 7 from an elite surgeon I would be looking at $25k-35k for the first surgery minimum. And even then, I would want to be prepared to not go back to a NW 0/1, and be prepared for a subsequent follow-up HT at some point down the line. I would give this advice for ANY HT prospect, but particularly for a NW 7. 

If you are definitely going to be a NW 7 and lack money, will for a 2nd follow-up, demand your hair to be perfect NW 0/NW 1, or can't take Fin for life, I would go for a hair system (if you didn't just decide to shave it). 

Edited by SadMan2021

For a man in his 70s, your father's donor area seems very strong. So I'd say you would have a pretty good outlook if you were ever to progress to a NW7. My father is the same age as yours and his sides and back is super thinned out...kinda makes me concerned for my future outlook, but in comparison your dad's remaining hair looks strong and thick.

• Valued Contributor

MPB is genetic. That said if your father is bald this does not mean you will go bald. My father died four years ago aged 86 and he took with him a full head of hair. However his father was bald as was men in my mother’s side of the family. If you are in any way in a position to be equipped to shave your head then I would seriously recommend this over a hair transplant/s. All the best.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The first question is: Have you ever shaved your head? If you haven't then how do you know you would be OK with just shaving your head and moving on? You have to try that option first. Then you have a better idea if it is worth it for you (because everyone is different) to attempt to have hair transplants depending on whether you can't stand the shaved head look on yourself or if you decide you really like it.

For me I knew I was headed to an extreme NW 7 because I had the same hair loss pattern as both my uncle who was 32 years older than I was and another older relative who was also the same extreme NW 7. I hated the way they looked and I absolutely did not want a shaved head. Your father has more hair than I do with better donor hair than I have and yet I had many hair transplants and I don't regret doing them, although I would have done it differently and had the front transplanted and had a hair system for the crown for a few years first which was my original decision, but I was talked out of it by the Dr who told me that was a stupid idea because I had a disease that was going to keep spreading if I just wore a hair system to cover it, but that's a whole other story.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

46 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

The first question is: Have you ever shaved your head? If you haven't then how do you know you would be OK with just shaving your head and moving on? You have to try that option first. Then you have a better idea if it is worth it for you (because everyone is different) to attempt to have hair transplants depending on whether you can't stand the shaved head look on yourself or if you decide you really like it.

For me I knew I was headed to an extreme NW 7 because I had the same hair loss pattern as both my uncle who was 32 years older than I was and another older relative who was also the same extreme NW 7. I hated the way they looked and I absolutely did not want a shaved head. Your father has more hair than I do with better donor hair than I have and yet I had many hair transplants and I don't regret doing them, although I would have done it differently and had the front transplanted and had a hair system for the crown for a few years first which was my original decision, but I was talked out of it by the Dr who told me that was a stupid idea because I had a disease that was going to keep spreading if I just wore a hair system to cover it, but that's a whole other story.

I have never shaved my head.

Until about 6 or so years ago, I always had a very thick head of hair, albeit a mature hairline NW2-3, which I didn’t mind. And I’ve always styled it on the longer side. So having a shaved head would be a radical departure from what my preferred look is and what people associate me with. It’s tough to build up the initiative to do it, although I agree with you that it is something I should try. 

unfortunately I began diffusing and thinning around that time such that my pattern has revealed itself. I’m 43 now.