Number of grafts expectations🤔

Guy73

from my own experience I find this picture to be somewhat accurate for natural density. Often time people getting transplants with 1500-2000 grafts expect great results. While initially you feel great on your new hairline often times people start seeing themselves in different light situations and see a almost unnatural reality of hair transplants. Unless you get a surgeon who right out of the gate does over 60-70 grafts per sq cm I feel unless you really have thick coarse hair most people will fall short of a natural look. Even if I never had surgery done there has been a few occasions in life where I noticed a unnatural look about someone just by looking at them. One guy I happened to be in a group conversation at a party with, ( now we’re both standing under those basically drop ceiling light panels ) right away I noticed a unnatural look about this guys hair. I don’t want to say it looked liked plugs because it didn’t but the lack of density ( I am guessing maybe 40 grafts per sq cm) just looked a little stalky to me. I have seen another few similar people in my passings. Point is don’t expect miracles on one pass and look at this diagram closely. I think you will find for most people this chart to be true. I never bought into fut is soo much better and better results. I think it all depends on the doctor. And I have yet seen a case where a one pass fut blew my mind. Anyone can cherry pick a bad fue or just poor growth. I think grafts matter along with hair quality. What’s you guys thinking on this?0A290ECA-B330-453D-8249-5C1CBA42B691.jpeg.4d86974187190269ab19f1a3ae757baa.jpeg

• Administrators

I would say the crown takes more than 2,000 grafts if it dips back.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

You mention the lack of density looking unnatural, but there are plenty of men who have diffuse thinning hair and never had a hair transplant who have a lack of density, so it's not an unnatural look, although it's certainly not a good look. Back when I was 19 years old if I was out in sunlight you could clearly see a NW 6 pattern on me.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would say the crown takes more than 2,000 grafts if it dips back.

I would agree. Just a guide, give or take. 

10 hours ago, BeHappy said:

You mention the lack of density looking unnatural, but there are plenty of men who have diffuse thinning hair and never had a hair transplant who have a lack of density, so it's not an unnatural look, although it's certainly not a good look. Back when I was 19 years old if I was out in sunlight you could clearly see a NW 6 pattern on me.

I have seen the diffuse look naturally on people. Most people don’t have a perfect hairline with a diffuse look, although a few exceptions like some women lose hair that way. I am speaking in general and absolutely the people I saw had some work done. Either way your right so many variables. But just look on this forum alone very few people are one and done and even if it’s just the hairline that was done. Most people realize that you could use up 3k grafts just in the very front!  But again variables matter, I guess my only point was I see many complaints on YouTube or forums when in reality grafts per sq cm ultimately is the best predictor of outcome and when most people don’t know or even ask what they had done is just mind boggling to me because that can help determine what happens positive or negative.