Is it possible to do hair transplant on a full head of hair?

24M. I know this might seem like a weird question. But in general, is it possible to get a hair transplant to make existing density at the crown and mid-scalp especially even thicker despite already having a head of hair? Or will it be difficult to transplant the follicles between existing follicles? I know this is very case dependent but I would just like to know in general if it is possible to do such a thing. 

As you can see, I’m pretty much like a NW1.5 with some diffusion in my crown and mid scalp. My temples are fine but the middle of hairline is slightly diffused as well. However, my hair about 2 years ago was super super thick to the point where even if I were to part my hair, you will not be able to see the scalp at all. No vitamin deficiency or anything. I am currently on Finasteride 1mg a day for 3 months. I used topical minoxidil in the past but I’m a non responder. Cant get oral Minox  in my country. My question is, if Finasteride doesn’t regrow my lost density back, will a hair transplant be possible for me to fill in my crown/mid scalp area for even more hair density? Last 2 pictures are damp/wet hair.

676B81F9-FD9B-4FA4-BFB3-973963EDDA87.jpeg

605BF5AB-3422-447F-8EDD-31CC67138B3E.jpeg

1FEC39D7-F97A-4384-9FB4-9C1AA7FD576E.jpeg

2FF3397A-2F9D-4C83-A018-A58FB0CB881E.jpeg

06B01D47-E352-47F0-B259-EE0C1718DBA0.jpeg

Edited by Joseph

4 minutes ago, Joseph said:

But in general, is it possible to get a hair transplant to make existing density at the crown and mid-scalp especially even thicker despite already having a head of hair?

Yes

4 minutes ago, Joseph said:

My question is, if Finasteride doesn’t regrow my lost density back, will a hair transplant be possible for me to fill in my crown/mid scalp area for even more hair density?

Yes - but I can't imagine any ethical doctors taking you on. Finasteride will hopefully help you to get back to where you were, but in terms of your hair currently - you could ask some surgeons to measure your density per cm2 - I imagine it will be pretty high still, so they will explain to you how hair transplant surgery is essentially designed to replicate original density, by using half of, if not less most of the time, at clever angles and positioning of the grafts.
That will hopefully allow you to understand that, despite it definitely being possible to do, your wish isn't really in line with what ethical hair restoration is about. This can change given the circumstances - for instance, if you were in your late 40's, 50's with this predicament, then surgeons may be more willing to go out and appease you . . however I'm guessing you're under 30, and that being so, it wouldn't be wise to execute what you are wanting to do. 

15 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Yes

Yes - but I can't imagine any ethical doctors taking you on. Finasteride will hopefully help you to get back to where you were, but in terms of your hair currently - you could ask some surgeons to measure your density per cm2 - I imagine it will be pretty high still, so they will explain to you how hair transplant surgery is essentially designed to replicate original density, by using half of, if not less most of the time, at clever angles and positioning of the grafts.
That will hopefully allow you to understand that, despite it definitely being possible to do, your wish isn't really in line with what ethical hair restoration is about. This can change given the circumstances - for instance, if you were in your late 40's, 50's with this predicament, then surgeons may be more willing to go out and appease you . . however I'm guessing you're under 30, and that being so, it wouldn't be wise to execute what you are wanting to do. 

By ethical do you mean that the hair transplant has a high chance to fail due to the difficulty of the scenario? Or is it just not worth it? Because honestly money isn’t the issue for me. I’m just afraid that the hair transplant might fail or even affect my other existing follicles because there’s very specific areas that I want to fill in. 

Sure you can.  While there seems to be minor thinning, it also seems you are dealing with contrast issues.  The idea of moving fwd with SMP is not a bad one.  Not sure, given the photo if you are also dealing with miniaturization.  PRP, Laser, Rogaine, Fin  or a combo of these may not be a bad idea.  I would give them a year to measure what you can achieve with them,  Based on the result you can then decide if it is worth it for you to continue meds long term. I would start investigating family history of hair loss.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

The risk on doing transplant on area which already has lot of original hair follicle is that there maybe shock loss and also the hair follicles which are in the process of miniaturization may be lost permanently hence the result may not be a lot better than what you started with even though the new hair follicles will be DHT proof.

Hence the diffused baldness is really tricky to work with. Its better to try to stabilize the hair loss using medicine and wait for few more years to check the progress.

• Administrators

Why on earth would you consider getting a hair transplant? You have a perfectly normal head of hair. You should consider topical finasteride or topical dutasteride and oral minoxidil WAAAAAYYYYYYYY before you consider surgery. Operating on you would be borderline insanity in my opinion.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Why on earth would you consider getting a hair transplant? You have a perfectly normal head of hair. You should consider topical finasteride or topical dutasteride and oral minoxidil WAAAAAYYYYYYYY before you consider surgery. Operating on you would be borderline insanity in my opinion.

I’m already on oral finasteride for many months. Also I can’t get a prescription for oral minoxidil in my country, and I don’t plan on ordering online from sketchy websites. I used topical minoxidil before but I am a non responder.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Joseph said:

I’m already on oral finasteride for many months. Also I can’t get a prescription for oral minoxidil in my country, and I don’t plan on ordering online from sketchy websites. I used topical minoxidil before but I am a non responder.

Try topical dutasteride via FUEclinic.com

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.