Best time of the year to do the hair transplant

Hi all,
What are the best months of the year to do the hair transplant?
As far as I know, its better in the Winter, but, which months exactly are the best?
And which months should I avoid?

More information about me:
I am 30 old Software Engineer, I live in Israel, and my job is half remote (3 days from home and 2 days from office). which means that even in the summer, my job allows me to stay indoors.
Only when I travel to work 2 days a week, I have to travel for about an hour using the train, which is also not supposed to be a problem because I can try to sit in a place where there is no sunlight.

What part of the year exactly you recommend me to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think it matters. I mean, obviously don't go out into the scolding hot sun immediately post-transplant, but honestly, from what I've seen, after around a month (or perhaps less), you can almost treat the transplanted hairs like any other. I've seen people put fibers in and wear caps before the two month mark without any issues. 

There really isn't an objective set of reasons that will make this or that time of year better. Personally this would be the best time for me, after summer and before winter.

-If you'll be traveling far to where you'll be getting it done, the summer months will be the busiest with more people taking vacation time so you may want to avoid those months.

-The primary climate concerns are air cold enough to dry out the skin and sunlight strong enough to burn the skin. Where you're at in the world the fall/early winter time would probably be the mildest and most comfortable time.

-What works best for your schedule and the clinic you have selected. Ask the clinic when their workload is the lightest, so that they are under less workload stress etc.

3 hours ago, Hisoka said:

Hi all,
What are the best months of the year to do the hair transplant?
As far as I know, its better in the Winter, but, which months exactly are the best?
And which months should I avoid?

More information about me:
I am 30 old Software Engineer, I live in Israel, and my job is half remote (3 days from home and 2 days from office). which means that even in the summer, my job allows me to stay indoors.
Only when I travel to work 2 days a week, I have to travel for about an hour using the train, which is also not supposed to be a problem because I can try to sit in a place where there is no sunlight.

What part of the year exactly you recommend me to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Which Dr/clinic are you looking at?

I think due to covid most Drs/clinics at the moment is not working 100% like before, so it is a good time to do it now

Edited by digi23

Summer = long days of sunlight that makes it hard to disguise

Winter = short dark days that makes it easier to hide

However... doing it in summer means that you get to enjoy the next summer with your full result. you get to ride out the winter when it's all in between.

Doing it in winter means that in summer you will still look kind of weird, depending on how much was shaved down and how big the procedure was.

Conclusion: nothing is perfect. My money is on the end of September being the best so you have it done right as summer is over and the days get shorter, and you can re-emerge in April or May with the worst already behind you.

(none of this applies if you work in an office all year round)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Moderators

Where I live in the USA I always felt the best time to go was late November or early December.

1. You can have a big family gathering at Thanksgiving just before the hair transplant, so no worries.

2. At Christmas, shortly after the transplant, you can opt out of seeing family if you don't feel up to it without too much issue. It won't seem like you are avoidig them since you just saw everyone a month ago. You can easily tell them you're not feeling well, or whatever.

3. You can spend the entire winter wearing a hoodie or other hat when you go out of the house with nobody thinking anything of it.

4. It gets dark by 5 PM which also makes it much easier to hide from everyone.

5. Most people want to go places in warm weather. If someone suggests a place to go, just say we should do that in the spring when the weather is warmer (unless it's skiing or something, but then just say you hate to be out al day in the cold)

6. By the time anyone suspects you are hiding from them it's already April and you're almost at 5 months already and past the ugly duckling stage.

7. Once you make it to Memorial Day at the end of May and the Summer season starts you'll be nearing 6 months and ready to enjoy the Summer with all your new hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.