Dealing with regret. What to do next?

Some of the hairline grafts will need to be punched out - I see a number of multi-hair grafts up front but that's an easy fix.  You may want to consider a two-step approach.  1) Punch out the poorly angled and multi-hair grafts and give it a few months to heal.  2) Undergo another surgery to increase the density in the hairline.  The pitting will be camouflaged with more surrounding hair, also pitting improves with time.  It's hard to tell from the pic, but the strip scar doesn't look great.  So you'll have a decision to make whether to go FUT or FUE.  Where are you located?  You should be very selective with who does your next surgery.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

@AlexMeister21 Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of the grafts post-op. Just of my swollen face which ballooned significantly for a week.

The whole 1000 vs 2000 grafts thing is really weird and the little confidence I had in the doctor evaporated at that moment. I’m trying to find any paperwork I might still have. The doctor did keep looking at my chart, saying “nope, we did 2000.” He also kept saying everything looked "great! fantastic!" so there's that. 

@NARMAK, I definitely have buyers remorse, but this forum and community has helped so much already. While I wish I could have done so many things differently in the first round, all I can do is learn from the mistakes.

I’m now at the 10.5 month mark and that's what the most recent photos reflect. I know the HT process is a waiting game and often one that feels eternally long. Even though I’m not yet at the 12 month point, I don’t think I got an objectively good procedure.

@BeHappy, I appreciate the note on the pitting. I hope too that by adding grafts for density, it’ll help camouflage it.

@aaron1234 the biggest take away for me this time around is that I will absolutely travel for this second procedure. I’m in the mid-atlantic and there seem to be good options on the east coast-ish (NYC, North Carolina, Chicago, and Virginia).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maed88 said:

@AlexMeister21 Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of the grafts post-op. Just of my swollen face which ballooned significantly for a week.

The whole 1000 vs 2000 grafts thing is really weird and the little confidence I had in the doctor evaporated at that moment. I’m trying to find any paperwork I might still have. The doctor did keep looking at my chart, saying “nope, we did 2000.” He also kept saying everything looked "great! fantastic!" so there's that. 

@NARMAK, I definitely have buyers remorse, but this forum and community has helped so much already. While I wish I could have done so many things differently in the first round, all I can do is learn from the mistakes.

I’m now at the 10.5 month mark and that's what the most recent photos reflect. I know the HT process is a waiting game and often one that feels eternally long. Even though I’m not yet at the 12 month point, I don’t think I got an objectively good procedure.

@BeHappy, I appreciate the note on the pitting. I hope too that by adding grafts for density, it’ll help camouflage it.

@aaron1234 the biggest take away for me this time around is that I will absolutely travel for this second procedure. I’m in the mid-atlantic and there seem to be good options on the east coast-ish (NYC, North Carolina, Chicago, and Virginia).

@Maed88 please pay the help you got from the forum forward by naming the clinic, so others might avoid the same difficulties you have had.. 🙏🏼

• Like 3

I don't understand why so many surgeons undercount the grafts needed.....during surgery the doctors will clearly know it's not enough....it's  unethical to essentially 100% sentence a patient to a 2nd surgery when the 1st procedure isn't even done yet! 

@Maed88 not to be pessimistic but 10 months is  enough time to judge this. You definitely need a follow-up procedure in order to achieve your original desired result. 

I know you are mum on who the operating doc is, but $10/graft is crazy expensive for what I assume was just a random cosmetic surgeon working in your city. 

Edited by SadMan2021

@New_Barnet_Please I definitely will. I get why folks would be hesitant to post reviews of a bad HT. At the same time, many of these doctors shouldn’t be touching people’s heads. Maybe it’s because I’m down the rabbit hole of reviews but I’m amazed at the number of folks who need or talk about repairs. 

@SadMan2021not pessimistic at all. If anything, it’s reassuring that I’m not crazy for thinking that what I got wasn’t good enough. Certainly for the price. Whether it was 1000 or 2000 grafts …

2 minutes ago, Maed88 said:

@SadMan2021not pessimistic at all. If anything, it’s reassuring that I’m not crazy for thinking that what I got wasn’t good enough. Certainly for the price. Whether it was 1000 or 2000 grafts …

@Maed88 that's good. I had a bad 1st surgery 3 years ago and am still dealing with it unfortunately (all the experts on this site have had a bad 1st HT, its basically a rite of passage, jk jk). 

I'd post some reviews for the doctor on Yelp, Google, anywhere where people would generally go to if they are directly seeking that clinic. The photos speak for themselves. Who knows..maybe the doctor would stop pretending like everything's fine if their reputation is diminished.

• Like 1

It's what you'd expect for 1000 grafts unfortunately. Give it till 12-18 months and then see someone with more experience to get it filled in with FUE.

Including the name of your surgeon here would be helpful so others can avoid the pain you've been through but if you're not comfortable that's completely understandable.

Good luck and keep us updated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Rolo density has a lot to do with number of grafts but also skill. Both of which my surgeon lacked. 

What is your graft estimate and how does that compare to the info you got in other consults? 

I saw you’ve posted several times that you’re anxious about your upcoming surgery. Jitters are normal. It’s surgery and a big step. Having said that, I would trust your gut. A bad first transplant is devastating and I’m speaking from experience. 

If you postpone instead of cancel will you lose your deposit? That could buy you time to do additional research, have more conversations with your current doctor, and potentially seek out more consults if you haven’t done that. 

Hello i did consult with another dr and i believe it the same around 1800 grafts.  I tried to postpone but they still said i forfeited the deposit and had to put new deposit for the new date. They later reduced by 1/2 the loss on deposit.  At the time i did have a real family medical reason to postpone so i didnt think it was correct.  But i worked around it and kept the date.  
i go back and forth with this.  I only worried because of shock loss, what if it doesnt grow back, what if it gets worse.  

Thank you.  What i want is not to change my hairline, not to lower it, just to fill in and make it more dense.  This is why i felt that perhaps shock loss and trauma to existing hairs might create permanent loss of existing hairs.  27411217-A7D3-4628-9A14-F4C43625CC25.thumb.jpeg.48a72943ec76431e28ec53346ff7198c.jpeg14E40310-65B1-4248-83AB-530FBFDA7BED.thumb.jpeg.15cb865b9eb7c9867e84930c9083d3d6.jpeg