Protein Supplements - Hair loss???

A quicky - I have started work-out almost daily. I want to get on to some protein supplements for muscle building but read somewhere that Whey proteins can lead to hair loss. I anyway have very thin hair and might go for HT in 5-6 months. Would you recommend taking protein supplements? If yes, what things I should be careful of while buying supplements(Any specific minerals to avoid or look for). Thanks

This question has been asked so many times before. There isn't any evidence that whey protein can cause hair loss, however, I don't exactly see maximuscle funding such a study!!

You get protein from food anyway (albeit its not whey), so will getting it from a supplement make much of a difference??

If you're unsure you could always just taylor your diet so you get your protein from food.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Did you have a cup of coffee this morning?

From the wiki on Baldness treatments, "Caffeine has been identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro, and reduced testosterone-induced follicle growth suppression"

What? "testosterone-induced follicle growth suppression?"

Now google, "testosterone diet" to see how diet effects your test levels (most are aimed at keeping test high) and ponder the question, then tell us what you find.

As absurd as this sounds to many, in recent months the same question keeps being asked again and again. So, I agree with the majority here and have the belief that the use of supplementation as whey(or other types) protein, and its link to further hairloss is infounded. But then why is the topic coming to light so frequently?

My thoughts are that upon joining/rejoining the gym or intensifying your workout and regime, is generally a big commitment and change in your lifestyle. One that you are very aware of. Therefore, 6 weeks, 2 months or so down the line, when you feel that you have experienced thinning of the hair, for our own sanity, we must attribute this to something. We cannot accept that we have began down the path of MPB, or that our daily use of Propecia is still allowing our "condition" to worsen. So we look for reasoning from changes in our lifestyle. It must be the training, it must be the whey! Its not just a coincidence that the majority of us guys who are experiencing MPB are insecure about it, and therefore we look after ourselves in other areas. Areas that we do have more control over. Our bodies.

In the contemporary world of science and intense research of most subjects body and health related, especially on this website regarding hairloss, until it is proven that there is a direct effect between furthering MPB and whey protein, I have chosen my side!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.