Anyone here willing to share a pic of their FUT scar (and how much time has elapsed since operation)?

Wanted to get a sense of FUT scars and the variability in how minimal or noticeable it can get. Would love to hear your guys' experiences and reflections on your FUT scar and whether or not hiding it has impacted your quality of life compared to MPB. 

13 minutes ago, motegam said:

Wanted to get a sense of FUT scars and the variability in how minimal or noticeable it can get. Would love to hear your guys' experiences and reflections on your FUT scar and whether or not hiding it has impacted your quality of life compared to MPB. 

Over 10 years ago I had my first FUT, and then later had another. Unfortunately it remained stretched until i had a scar revision a few years ago. However it’s still not good and i will get some beard grafts implanted at some point.

But if you go to a decent clinic and have good laxity you could end up with a pencil thin scar. What is worth doing is the scalp laxity exercises which can help minimise stretching of the scar. 

All of my scars from six FUT's (three days after an FUE) in all their glory.  They aren't best case or worst case strip scars; probably somewhere down the middle.  With my hair grown out they aren't an issue unless my hair is wet.

722027452_MOISCARZ-1.thumb.jpg.fe6a650335f9b72a05d2669cbb961be4.jpg

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

For those who have FUT scars (even ones that are covered well at a 3-4)

Does the scar line show when tilting your head forward in bright light?

Also, Did you guys find the scar was better at 6 months as opposed to 4 months? (as far as cutting the donor shorter)

On 9/15/2021 at 9:59 PM, kramer79 said:

A shorter hair style increases the likelihood of this happening.  Every strip patient needs to find that sweet spot in length, not just for the recipient area but donor as well.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:59 PM, kramer79 said:

Also, Did you guys find the scar was better at 6 months as opposed to 4 months? (as far as cutting the donor shorter)

The scar will continue to heal for months, but that doesn't necessarily include a reduction of its width.  What's better at 6 months is that hair around the scar that was shocked out will have grown back, doing a better job at hiding the scar.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 9/15/2021 at 11:59 PM, kramer79 said:

Yea, comes down to the more dark something is the more light it absorbs, and the more light/white it is the more light it will reflect. Because most of what makes the scar visible is that its lighter in tone than the surrounding skin, as your head tilts towards more light the scar will reflect more light and be more visible.

Starting with a decent scar that wasn't botched, implanting hair into the scar or getting SMP on the scar, or both, can help camouflage it well enough that people won't notice unless you ask them to try to find it. Try to remember to make and keep that your standard or you'll always be disappointed. Because its almost always going to be possible to tilt your head this or that way and focus in on the area and make it out to some degree when you're looking in the mirror. But again that's because you know what you're looking for, and nobody is trying to see it as much as you. 

Adding this, I'm not affiliated with them, but there are some screens at this page of concealed FUT scars from one of the top SMP clinics, screenshotting the overview below the link. 

https://scalpmicrousa.com/results/scar-camouflage/

image.thumb.png.89dcbb8ac3706420e569bbdf2d00d82a.png

Edited by ciaus