What Norwood am I?

aKaWonderKid

What Norwood do you think i am guys?

Are there any reliable doctors who do f2f appointments in UK??

Dr arshads assistant (female unsure of the name) had a video call... told me look left, right, head down to chin and done me a quote saying good donor but she didn't even see the back or my head so that's making me question dr arshad.

Dr farjo assistant whatsapod me and said I should stay on fina but thays not doing anything. I'm still waking up and seeing hair on my pillow.

20210827_183533.jpg

20210827_183509.jpg

20210827_183457.jpg

20210827_183320.jpg

20210827_183252.jpg

5 going rapidly to a 6.  Hope you are doing some medical regimen to help you with retention and enhancement of the native hair.

• Like 2

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

You're a diffused pattern 5, meaning that you're not technically there yet as you still have hair on your scalp that is miniaturising heavily and providing a camoflauge of sorts, but you're definitely heading there fairly quickly. 

Without meds, you'll almost certainly be a true NW5 in the next five or so years I would imagine, maybe a little longer, maybe a little shorter. With meds, you could potentially see some good re-growth in your case due to the amount of miniaturised hairs that could possibly become fully terminal again. I assume you haven't been taking fin for very long just by reading your post, but it's normal to shed for months and months on end, especially in a case of diffuse loss, which would explain the hair on your pillows.

Your donor pictures aren't the greatest quality so it's hard to tell, plus the back isn't shown, but it looks a bit thin on the left side (can't see the right side due to the light contrast), so it doesn't look the best to be honest. Is it wet?

1 minute ago, JDEE0 said:

You're a diffused pattern 5, meaning that you're not technically there yet as you still have hair on your scalp that is miniaturising heavily and providing a camoflauge of sorts, but you're definitely heading there fairly quickly. 

Without meds, you'll almost certainly be a true NW5 in the next five or so years I would imagine, maybe a little longer, maybe a little shorter. With meds, you could potentially see some good re-growth in your case due to the amount of miniaturised hairs that could possibly become fully terminal again. I assume you haven't been taking fin for very long just by reading your post, but it's normal to shed for months and months on end, especially in a case of diffuse loss, which would explain the hair on your pillows.

Your donor pictures aren't the greatest quality so it's hard to tell, plus the back isn't shown, but it looks a bit thin on the left side (can't see the right side due to the light contrast), so it doesn't look the best to be honest. Is it wet?

Not wet.

What other meds other than fina/regaine can help?

Screenshot_20210827-204024_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210827-204020_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210827-204015_WhatsApp.jpg

Back looks decent enough to me, but I think you should have your donor checked before any surgery due to your sides, doesn't look terrible or anything, just a bit patchy above the ears. Possibly just some retrograde, but it seems to go up a bit higher than usual if that is the case.

Honestly, right now, not too much. Finasteride plus oral Minoxidil would be a fairly potent combo, if you wanted to take things up a notch you could use RU or CB as a topical AA to take care of any leftover androgens, including testosterone, on the scalp itself.

This would be about as comprehensive as you can reasonably get really, but these are un-regulated drugs you would have to buy off the grey-market, so I would have to advise against doing so. You could use a milder topical AA such as Fluridil, but at the available dosages its probably not going to add much to the equation. 

Fin and min alone should do a pretty good job, microneedling in conjunction has been shown to be pretty effective, so I would just start with this and see how you get on after a year or 2.

4 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Back looks decent enough to me, but I think you should have your donor checked before any surgery due to your sides, doesn't look terrible or anything, just a bit patchy above the ears. Possibly just some retrograde, but it seems to go up a bit higher than usual if that is the case.

Honestly, right now, not too much. Finasteride plus oral Minoxidil would be a fairly potent combo, if you wanted to take things up a notch you could use RU or CB as a topical AA to take care of any leftover androgens, including testosterone, on the scalp itself.

This would be about as comprehensive as you can reasonably get really, but these are un-regulated drugs you would have to buy off the grey-market, so I would have to advise against doing so. You could use a milder topical AA such as Fluridil, but at the available dosages its probably not going to add much to the equation. 

Fin and min alone should do a pretty good job, microneedling in conjunction has been shown to be pretty effective, so I would just start with this and see how you get on after a year or 2.

Many thanks for your reply. At least this has given me some hope I can have a transplant and not be bald.

Here is a video of the back. Its thin but If it goes like my fathers then it should ne good enough. 

I've been taking regaine. Should I swap to oral minoxidill? Stupid question incoming... how do i get my hands on this?

48 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Same thing happened with my IN PERSON consultation with Dr. Diep. Big red flag.

not heard of Dr Diep but Dr Arshad is apparently one of the most reliable in UK... Makes you think is anyone even reliable? Lets be honest they are all after our money.

Yeah, the back looks pretty good to me. You have fine hair, like myself, but it seems fairly dense from your vid, no issues. You can definitely have a transplant, as long as there are no issues with the donor. Check out Mr. Rolandas on YouTube, somewhat similar pattern of loss, probably even finer hair than you, he's currently documenting his second HT on his YT channel - could be a good place to get a feel of what's very much achievable. 

I can't really recommend you do or don't start oral min as I'm not a Dr, and it's more of an off-label type of use. Do some research online and have a think. Read some studies, papers, look up forum posts, speak to prospective surgeons about it etc. But essentially, the point of it is that it's more effective due to the fact that many people naturally lack the necessary sulfotransferase enzyme that enables minoxidil to work as a vasodilator and aid hair growth. With oral, it doesn't really matter if you have it or not due to the liver processing the drug meaning it should be pretty effective for anyone who uses it, which isn't the case with topical. 

Not a stupid question, it's hard to get prescribed by a GP, best bet is to speak to a HT doctor in the UK and get a prescription from them. Shouldn't be too difficult. 

Also, yes all surgeons are after our money at the end of the day to be blunt, but this is just like any other service offered or business in life - everything revolves around money. But there really are doctors who care about their patients and don't want to ruin their lives with a botched surgery. The good ones who have a conscience (and are also skilled mind you, which is few and far between) know how much hair loss affects those coming to them and they also know how much worse they would make things if they perform a bad surgery. Just with all people, some don't care and will do whatever to make a quick buck, whilst others actually want to help others and do what they can to improve their quality of life. 

The industry itself attracts a lot of conmen and unethical doctors by the nature of insecurity that is attached to it's customers and the vulnerabilities that can easily be preyed upon. Combined with a lot of money to be made of course. Just do a lot of research, you're obviously fairly new to all of this, so don't jump into anything before you have researched for a good amount of time - I would recommend at least 6 months.

I would look into the following doctors as a starting list: Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Feriudini, Dr. Bruno Pinto, Dr. Ximena Vila, Dr. Bruno Ferreira and Dr. Rafael De Freitas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update

Luckily enough I've got an appointment early next month with bisanga as he's visiting London.

Its only a 20min consultation but if he thinks I'm good enough then I'm tempted to book in with him.

Thanks for all your help everyone

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aKaWonderKid said:

Just a quick update

Luckily enough I've got an appointment early next month with bisanga as he's visiting London.

Its only a 20min consultation but if he thinks I'm good enough then I'm tempted to book in with him.

Thanks for all your help everyone

Great news ! Hope it all goes well 👌

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@aKaWonderKid that's great that you are getting an in person consultation. Having said that I would speak to Dr Bisanga about finasteride. Wishing you all the best!

I have started that, The front of my hair is going rapidly now along with the temple so I am just looking forward to the consultation in London now.

I thought about seeing a trichologist for 200 pound but might aswell wait the extra week to see Dr Bisanga!

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2021 at 8:57 PM, aKaWonderKid said:

I have started that, The front of my hair is going rapidly now along with the temple so I am just looking forward to the consultation in London now.

I thought about seeing a trichologist for 200 pound but might aswell wait the extra week to see Dr Bisanga!

Hey ! Did you have your consultation with Dr Bisanga ? What is his opinion about your donor area ? And his opinion about your final Norwood ? Curious.

Thanks ! 

4 hours ago, Rafowens said:

Hey ! Did you have your consultation with Dr Bisanga ? What is his opinion about your donor area ? And his opinion about your final Norwood ? Curious.

Thanks ! 

Hi

I pulled out due to a few things but also I'm going to see a trichologist on the 28th.

I'm thinking of going with someone in England purely because I know recovery and stress free is a big part and I feel having it done in England (my home country) will be better for me

Just be careful if your choosing here in the Uk. I know you have already consulted with Dr Arshad & Dr Farjo. That leaves Dr Reddy and Dr Ball. We don’t have any other choices in the Uk that are doing good work. And even the Drs mentioned are not always getting the best results. 

Edited by JC71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Just be careful if your choosing here in the Uk. I know you have already consulted with Dr Arshad & Dr Farjo. That leaves Dr Reddy and Dr Ball. We don’t have any other choices in the Uk that are doing good work. And even the Drs mentioned are not always getting the best results. 

I was thinking more towards dr ball. I know he's pricey but I just feel more comfortable.

But hey, I've changed my mind 5 times akd will definitely change it 5 more times 😂😂

At the moment its not 'terrible' and its better shorter than in the photos above but just excited to see the trichologist next Sunday.

• Like 1

Just now, aKaWonderKid said:

I was thinking more towards dr ball. I know he's pricey but I just feel more comfortable.

But hey, I've changed my mind 5 times akd will definitely change it 5 more times 😂😂

At the moment its not 'terrible' and its better shorter than in the photos above but just excited to see the trichologist next Sunday.

It’s absolutely fine (and normal) to keep changing your mind. We have all been guilty of the same ! 

• Haha 1

• Administrators
On 8/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

Didn't you also end up having a successful surgery? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 8/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

dr diep requires pictures of the back of your head, he knows if you have good donor or not, how is that a red flag lol

42 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Didn't you also end up having a successful surgery? 

Yes but it was only 1800 grafts. Diep was saying I had over 10k available.

42 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

dr diep requires pictures of the back of your head, he knows if you have good donor or not, how is that a red flag lol

I consulted with him in person. He didn't even look at the back of my head.

• Confused 1