How To Choose The Best Hair Transplant Surgeon For You?

• Administrators

Alright guys, for any of the thousands of lurkers of this site, what are some tips and tricks that you can give these guys and gals on how to select the right surgeon? What was your first step? Let's get this convo going.

How To Choose The Best Hair Transplant Surgeon For You

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well definitely get an in person examination if possible imo. Doesn't have to be the doctor that you want to do your transplant but it's nice to get someone to look at you in person imo.

Also create a list.

Biggest thing for me was just knowing the doctor has a huge list of guys with my hair type getting restored to a hairline that I wanted to get. Dr. De Freitas had a ton of results all showing me that fixing my hairline would just be a regular day of work for me. Though I strongly considered Dr. Hasson as well and he was a really close second but Dr. De Freitas had a ton of wow results, a lot of results where he worked with guys like me and the cost was almost half of that of Dr. Hasson. Also this probably goes against the advice of the forum (i.e. look at results not the tools) but I liked that De Freitas used implanter pens just cause I thought they were well suited for my hair type. Funnily enough, apparently H&W switched to implanters recently from that recent Konior Q&A.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Domino said:

I go off who’s vetted by the community plain and simple. I want to see cases like mine as @deeznutssaid. And I want to see patient reviews that are beginning to end.

Yea that’s the best way in my opinion. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Well definitely get an in person examination if possible imo. Doesn't have to be the doctor that you want to do your transplant but it's nice to get someone to look at you in person imo.

Also create a list.

Biggest thing for me was just knowing the doctor has a huge list of guys with my hair type getting restored to a hairline that I wanted to get. Dr. De Freitas had a ton of results all showing me that fixing my hairline would just be a regular day of work for me. Though I strongly considered Dr. Hasson as well and he was a really close second but Dr. De Freitas had a ton of wow results, a lot of results where he worked with guys like me and the cost was almost half of that of Dr. Hasson. Also this probably goes against the advice of the forum (i.e. look at results not the tools) but I liked that De Freitas used implanter pens just cause I thought they were well suited for my hair type. Funnily enough, apparently H&W switched to implanters recently from that recent Konior Q&A.

De Freitas is a superstar, and having a doctor that works on similar hair types is important. Different hair types require different skills like afro hair.

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

I think the absolute first thing anyone needs to do is to make sure they're researching the correct stuff before even thinking about making a list of clinics. So:

- Understanding what a natural (non-transplanted) hairline looks like (irregularities, single hair grafts, direction of the grafts etc)

- Understanding how to recreate natural looking hairlines & what that requires a surgery to do/have/be able to do (microscopes, ability to dissect multi-grafts into singles if required, natural hairline design, creating irregularities)

- Donor area management

- Medical/topical interventions

- Understanding how long and complex HT surgery takes/is 

Once someone has gotten a firm grip on that stuff (and that's by no means an exhaustive list!), then that should automatically start to whittle down the list of eligible surgeries/clinics. Then I think it's definitely critical to get onto forums and start looking at unfiltered, non-selective (ie, the full truth!) patient journey threads and really look at results, levels of service, aftercare, comparable hair loss cases and so on.

Lastly I then think price & location. Location shouldn't be a factor - if you live down the road from Hasson & Wong then... Tremendous! But if you have to jump on a 9-hour direct flight to India because you want to go to Eugenix then that's also awesome. How many guys go to some bang average or even terrible HT clinic because it was sort of convenient and nearby? Price is a fact of life. If we could all afford Hasson & Wong or a top Belgian clinic we'd all go there. Finding an affordable option does require more careful research because the worst clinics on earth are also the cheapest ones. So price shouldn't be the *leading* factor, but it will inevitably be a factor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

I think the absolute first thing anyone needs to do is to make sure they're researching the correct stuff before even thinking about making a list of clinics. So:

- Understanding what a natural (non-transplanted) hairline looks like (irregularities, single hair grafts, direction of the grafts etc)

- Understanding how to recreate natural looking hairlines & what that requires a surgery to do/have/be able to do (microscopes, ability to dissect multi-grafts into singles if required, natural hairline design, creating irregularities)

- Donor area management

- Medical/topical interventions

- Understanding how long and complex HT surgery takes/is 

Once someone has gotten a firm grip on that stuff (and that's by no means an exhaustive list!), then that should automatically start to whittle down the list of eligible surgeries/clinics. Then I think it's definitely critical to get onto forums and start looking at unfiltered, non-selective (ie, the full truth!) patient journey threads and really look at results, levels of service, aftercare, comparable hair loss cases and so on.

Lastly I then think price & location. Location shouldn't be a factor - if you live down the road from Hasson & Wong then... Tremendous! But if you have to jump on a 9-hour direct flight to India because you want to go to Eugenix then that's also awesome. How many guys go to some bang average or even terrible HT clinic because it was sort of convenient and nearby? Price is a fact of life. If we could all afford Hasson & Wong or a top Belgian clinic we'd all go there. Finding an affordable option does require more careful research because the worst clinics on earth are also the cheapest ones. So price shouldn't be the *leading* factor, but it will inevitably be a factor.

Great post, I agree with everything you said 👏🏼

View my thread