Almost 5 weeks post op....experiences/thoughts

Hello everyone,

I will be 5 weeks post op this Tuesday. Everything seems to be going ok...I started loosing some scabs at week 4. Most of the scabs are still there and am kinda happy because they blend in with my hair...don't make me look as bald. I am not using Rogaine as i can't afford it at the moment but am taking Propecia. Does Rogaine really make a big difference? What if i start later? or is it a case of use it now or never....

I thought the scabs would fall off 2-3 weeks after but they are still here!

Also i guess now the waiting game begins...I think 3-4 months is when i will see some growth.

Hello everyone,

I will be 5 weeks post op this Tuesday. Everything seems to be going ok...I started loosing some scabs at week 4. Most of the scabs are still there and am kinda happy because they blend in with my hair...don't make me look as bald. I am not using Rogaine as i can't afford it at the moment but am taking Propecia. Does Rogaine really make a big difference? What if i start later? or is it a case of use it now or never....

I thought the scabs would fall off 2-3 weeks after but they are still here!

Also i guess now the waiting game begins...I think 3-4 months is when i will see some growth.

Good luck with your HT. Does your doctor suggest you use rogaine? If your doctor suggest you use it and you want to use it you can get 4 canisters of the foam at costco for around $49. 3 canisters at Walsmart is around $39. The non foam is even cheaper.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

With todays ultra refined fu's, and smaller insisions, scabs should be gone by day 14. I think that maybe you are not washing the recipient area properly. It is imperative that the scabs be gone so as to allow proper healing of the sites. I think you should contact your Dr. and ask his opinion.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery....

I think people have different time lines in regard to scabs. My paperwork said 3 weeks for the scabs to fall off but I have seen many people have some scabs remaining at 4-5 weeks.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Actually, even with today's ultra refined hair transplants, scabs can last for some time if your doctor's postoperative instructions don't include a regime for gently removing them. For example, I know Dr. Rahal's patients typically have scabs for up to a month because they're told to let them fall off on their own. Other doctors ask their patients to start gently working them off after 5 or 6 days in the shower using gentle circular motions with the finger tips (not the nails).

Growmehair,

What did your doctor advise you to do regarding scab/crust removal and washing your hair? Be sure to consult with your doctor for his/her specific instructions on what to do with your remaining scabs.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Bill,

Dr. Rahal's instructions mentioned not to touch the scabs for a month and i can "resume" normal activities after one month. Most of the scabs in the front have fallen but there are still many towards the end. I have not been rubbing them to hardly when i shower. At some sites its slightly painful which i take as a sign not to rub hardly?

Wantego,

Thanks! your so nice to me icon_smile.gif

I can't see your weblog....did you remove it?

Originally posted by growmehair:

Hey Bill,

Dr. Rahal's instructions mentioned not to touch the scabs for a month and i can "resume" normal activities after one month. Most of the scabs in the front have fallen but there are still many towards the end. I have not been rubbing them to hardly when i shower. At some sites its slightly painful which i take as a sign not to rub hardly?

Wantego,

Thanks! your so nice to me icon_smile.gif

I can't see your weblog....did you remove it?

growmehair,

You are very welcome. I did not really do anything but thanks just the same. icon_smile.gif

I did take my blog down for the time being. I do plan to put it back up sometime in the future. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

with ultra refinehair transplant we actually make an incision less than a mm. Technically those scabs should fall off irrespective of whether you rub them or not. Technically, from Plastic surgery point of view any scar that does not heal in 2 weeks will leave a mark. Healing means removal of all scabs etc.

Generally, I encourage patients to remove the scabs by rubbing them off starting from 10Th day. The studies have shown that after 9th Day even if you try to pull the hair the grafts will not come off, so based on that, I encourage them to rub the scabs off. But then at the same time I ask them to clean the head with Alcohol swabs to remove the bacteria that are present on hands. This reduce the incidence of pimples as well.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Please do not be worried. I always say there is more than one way of skinning a cat.

I advise people bsed on my believes and experience. Dr Rahal must have his own way of doing things and I respect them as well. The ideal thing is to go an see your doctor rather than asking different openins of people on a forum like this.

SO do not worry, share your concerns and anything different or not clear ask the doctor. He is the best judge in the end.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

I would not call that pimples are the sign of activity and is good , as quite a few people do get great results without a single pimple. But getting pimples are not abnormal. In few cases you can get big pimples they could be as big as couple of cm, but if they ar more than few then I advise them certain anti pimple medical treatment.

All of them, without any exceptions so far had a full frowth after 5 months and these pimples tends to go away after 6 to 7 months.

Th PAIN after surgery depends on two things, 1

1) Patints own thresh hold and

2) the amount of tightness or the width of strip.

That is why it is necessary for the doctor to assess the mobility of the donor area and the vertical mobility should over lap with 5 mm at least. This also gives a great scar nd les pain.

Unfortunately it also gives less number of grafts.

As present day clinics are selling more based on one step surgery and doing moreand more grafts, they tend to take bigger and bigger strip, so naturally more pain and bigger scar.

but do not worry all will be well.

ALL IS WELL WHICH ENDS WELL

---