Shedding hair with J or L shaped structure - is this normal ?

I’m day 34 post HT and since day 20-21 the shedding has started. Many if not most of the hairs I’m shedding are J or L shaped and I wonder if this is normal ? Or could it mean the grafts got damaged somehow and won’t grow back normally ?

DE4266F5-C683-4A5B-998F-4946EA114603.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

They'll be L shape and some that are J shaped. What you have to prepare for is that eventually all of your transplanted hairs will shed. Perfectly normal and expected. 

I know that they will all shed but the fact that so many of them have that weird shape is bothering me. I can’t stop but think that there is something wrong with it, maybe the assistants did something wrong during the procedure ? Or I did something after the procedure that may have caused them to become like this ?

Did you also had these J or L shaped hairs that shed ? Did they all regrow normally ?

6 hours ago, Beno99 said:

I know that they will all shed but the fact that so many of them have that weird shape is bothering me. I can’t stop but think that there is something wrong with it, maybe the assistants did something wrong during the procedure ? Or I did something after the procedure that may have caused them to become like this ?

Did you also had these J or L shaped hairs that shed ? Did they all regrow normally ?

As I wrote, J and L shaped hairs are quite normal to shed. Myself yes, 5 hts and have seen the same. It’s not a weird shape at all. I know your worrying about your grafts but everything your facing so far is perfectly normal and on track. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 2

This has been done to death over the years.  Completely normal.

I think it's to do with hairs being in the growth phase suddenly being forced into a shed.  Normal day to day shedding doesn't exibit the J or L shape as it's a controlled process, unlike shock loss.

• Like 3

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

most of the hairs I shedded had also the same shape (I'm 2 months post op) ; just like you I did a lot of research to find out whether this is good or not. I think I concluded that it may not be the norm (apparently most people shed straight hairs after thier HT) , but it seems that it shouln't affect the end redult. 

Almost all the people I saw in this and other forums with this "J" and "L" shape of shedded hair didn't have any problem witht the result. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:59 AM, JohnAC71 said:

They'll be L shape and some that are J shaped. What you have to prepare for is that eventually all of your transplanted hairs will shed. Perfectly normal and expected. 

Well said JohnAC71....😉

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY