Wearing a buzzcut/cutting hair with clippers after HT long term

I’m at day 28 post op now and wonder if it is risky for the transplanted hairs to cut them with clippers once every or second week to keep them short ? Is it safe now or do I need to wait longer ?

This is important to me as I don’t think my density is good enough to do any good long hairstyle. I want to keep them short and cut them regularly but I wonder if transplanted hair grafts would be in danger by it.

I'd consult your surgeon and see what they suggest, from my research there's different advice ranging from fine to buzz after 2 weeks to only cutting with scissors until many months.

If density is your concern, then there's going to be more of an illusion of density when there's some length to the hair. Buzzing it too short will actually make the hair appear less dense.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yoo said:

I'd consult your surgeon and see what they suggest, from my research there's different advice ranging from fine to buzz after 2 weeks to only cutting with scissors until many months.

If density is your concern, then there's going to be more of an illusion of density when there's some length to the hair. Buzzing it too short will actually make the hair appear less dense.

Not really the first 3 month so I understand his concerns since it looks weird with a lot of hairs behind the transplant area.

40 minutes ago, Beno99 said:

I’m at day 28 post op now and wonder if it is risky for the transplanted hairs to cut them with clippers once every or second week to keep them short ? Is it safe now or do I need to wait longer ?

This is important to me as I don’t think my density is good enough to do any good long hairstyle. I want to keep them short and cut them regularly but I wonder if transplanted hair grafts would be in danger by it.

I'm 5 week and keep it buzzed. It was ok for mwamba

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Yoo said:

Yeah some surgeons say it’s ok after a few weeks while others recommend to wait months it’s weird.

I have that weird round thin patch behind my hairline where they implanted a few hairs but not enough for it to be full. Before my HT when I had long hair that spot always became visible when I brushed my hair up but not while having a buzzcut (6,7 mm). Because of that I want to cut them regularly but I wonder when would be the safest time to start doing it and also if the grafts could get potentially damaged even if I would wait longer.

You're safe to buzz them at 4 weeks.  The question is whether you plan on doing that longterm as you'll need a certain length to achieve the illusion of density with the transplanted hairs.  

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Valued Contributor

Definitely consult your surgeon, but I'd have thought after several weeks you'd be ok to buzz the hair down, but maybe err on the side of caution and use a guarded buzz, rather than a zero or 0.5.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

You're safe to buzz them at 4 weeks.  The question is whether you plan on doing that longterm as you'll need a certain length to achieve the illusion of density with the transplanted hairs.  

That’s great!

I currently already have a buzzcut/undercut since I’ve been cutting the sites to 0-1mm since day 14 and with the new lowered hairline and fuller temples it looks really nice actually. Its the round thin spot I described above that puts me away from growing them out longer. My plan is it to cut them to 6-8mm weekly and the sites to 0.

Well, you're only a month out.  Things will be changing in a couple months.  When that does eventually happen, be open to longer styles to make the most of the transplanted hair - ideally styles take would make use of a shingling effect.  

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group