Future of Hair Loss Treatment

What will the future of hair loss treatment be and how far away is it?

We're all familiar with our Regaine and our finasteride, but the tragic thing about these medicines is (apart from the potential sides) that they apparently lose efficacy after a few years. I'm 1 year on fin now and 6 months on Regaine, had my first HT too 7 months ago. Right now I love how my hair is looking, the added thickness and new hairline are really making me feel great, but I dread the reality of seeing things fade again in maybe 5 years or so. Hence why I'd love to know what the future of treatment might be. I wonder if new treatments will hit the market within the next 5 years. I've heard of exosomes but don't know much about them.

It would be cool if some of the medical experts could give their opinions here :)

I think the most promising avenue for hair loss treatment will be hair cloning and I think that'll happen in the next 10-15 years. 

• Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

As @Dr. Suhail Khokharsays, I agree that hair cloning as it is commonly called will probably be around in the same sort of timeframe; there are currently a number of companies racing to get it done; Tsuji, Stemson, L'oreal, Tissuse and a few others that I can't remember the name of right off hand.

You'll get a lot of responses of people saying that it's been 5 years away for the past 30 years, which is fair I do understand their point, but I think it's shortsighted as back then the claims were made when there was really no evidence of the ability it could be done. Companies of the past like Intercytex were really nowhere close, whereas now, people like Tsuji (and probably the rest at this point behind closed doors) have actually cultured human cells to grow follicles in mouse models, have overcome problems with hair cycling etc, and essentially, hair cloning currently exists and has indeed happened in reality; just not in a human yet.

I see no reason why it won't transfer into humans (with their own cells at that), but what I would say is that who really knows how well the hair will look like texture wise etc. Will it be the right shape, colour, coarseness etc? Who knows, I'm hopeful, but that's what I'll be waiting to see. Human trials for a number of these companies really should be taking place in the next few years (I would say 3-5 at a maximum) if they don't, well I would discount hair cloning for the time being as something clearly would have went wrong, so we will find out either way soon. But I'm very confident we will see a number of companies enter human clinical trials over the next few years, I just don't know what sort of results we will get.

Really though, I don't think I'll ever personally be bothered about cloning as it's really only necessary if you're a nw6 or 7 which I'm nowhere near. I think we will have a number of topical/injectable treatments in the next 5-15 years that will outperform fin (hopefully also near completely side free) and essentially stave off further loss and even induce good regrowth in most people. We have Breezula, Kintors range of products (who are moving extremely fast), Olix pharmecuticals etc. plus whatever else is in the pipeline waiting to be announced in the next few years. Granted there's no guarantee any of these will make it through, I'm hopeful that lets say in 10 years, we will have a number of effective new treatments available, and some before then. 

Bayers PRLR drug is the most exciting, should be going to phase two clinical trials anytime soon and is backed by a huge company. First phase found that in stumped tail macaques (which is a very good model for humans genetically and also one of the only other primates that experiences the same genetic alopecia as we do), the monkeys basically regrew most if not all of their hair that had been bald for over 10 years in some subjects after 6 months of treatment, with improvements continuing for years after the treatment had stopped. So basically, you could get a round of injections for a few months every few years and potentially not only stop any further hairloss, but re-grow most of what has been lost as long as your follicles aren't calcified and scarred shut after decades of being bald in that area. 

You can read about all of this in depth here https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/forums/new-research-studies-and-technologies.24/

It's a really good forum for future treatments, but I wouldn't hang around the rest of the forum as it's full of sad, woe is me I'm losing my hair my life is over I've never had a girlfriend types of people, which is just pathetic. So stay in the new research section and ignore the few strange ones who seep into the comments. 

Have a read of all the companies I've mentioned in my post on there, go down the rabbit hole if you really want a good idea of what we **might** have coming in the next 5-10 years. There's a lot of people way more knowledgable than me there who have done tons of research and there are threads for all of what I've mentioned with lots and lots of pages of info explaining everything in detail, so if you're interested, read from the beginning. 

As a side note, I don't know what has made you think that fin is going to stop working after a few years. I know people often comment and say that this was the case for them, but if we go by actual scientific data from clinical studies (as you should do as this is heavily controlled and is reality rather than anecdote, it's actually accurate) then fin works well and shows no sign of losing efficacy at the 10 year mark in 90 plus percent of men essentially. It will work past then, but really that's all the data we have as that's the longest study length is all. 

So, no need to worry, fin will work for a long time. At some point, yes, the testosterone that fin doesn't do anything to stop along with the left over DHT that fin doesn't block will noticeably affect your hair, but you should really be able to get away with just Fin alone and a couple of HT's over the course of your life; even if nothing else ever came out. You should be able to be very old and have decent hair with the help of another few transplants maybe if your hair loss isn't super aggressive. Maybe even if it is. 

Rolandas made a video the other day going over a more recent 10 year study in 500 Japanese men from a few years back and explains everything quite well, so have a watch and have your mind at ease that you'll be ok. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.