Is Density More Important Than Hair Thickness For Hair Transplants?

• Administrators

So many people ask how many grafts, how many grafts per cm2, how may hairs per graft ratio. But are those numbers more important than lets say hair thickness in microns? What do you guys think? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Is Density More Important Than Hair Thickness for Hair Transplants?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There are probably other factors that can sway this trade-off, but it mostly comes down to pure math:

Cylindric volume = pi * r^2 * h

So all else equal, someone who has 70 micron hair will have about 2x the volume compared to someone with 50 micron hair. In that case, the person with 50 micron hair would need to transplant around 2x the number of hairs to achieve the same overall volume.

If donor supply isn't an issue, I'd prefer medium-fine hair because it tends yield a more natural result. If donor supply may be an issue, then I'd prefer thicker diameter hair to get as much coverage as possible.

• Like 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

There are probably other factors that can sway this trade-off, but it mostly comes down to pure math:

Cylindric volume = pi * r^2 * h

So all else equal, someone who has 70 micron hair will have about 2x the volume compared to someone with 50 micron hair. In that case, the person with 50 micron hair would need to transplant around 2x the number of hairs to achieve the same overall volume.

If donor supply isn't an issue, I'd prefer medium-fine hair because it tends yield a more natural result. If donor supply may be an issue, then I'd prefer thicker diameter hair to get as much coverage as possible.

Its a shame donor supply is always an issue.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Doctors have often told me that the degree of one's hair caliber (hair shaft diameter) is the single most critical factor considered when achieving the illusion of visual coverage.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

20 hours ago, gillenator said:

Doctors have often told me that the degree of one's hair caliber (hair shaft diameter) is the single most critical factor considered when achieving the illusion of visual coverage.

Yes that is correct, unlike cheap hair mills that plant double and triple grafts at the hair (WHICH IS WRONG), professional skilled doctors have the challenge to create satisfied high density with only single grafts over the first 3cm of hairline, therefore you need much more quantity of single grafts covering area compare to the middle scalp with double and triple grafts, I myself have thinner hair than the average and I happy with my result by Dr. Maras.

* See my example for single grafts implanting hairline vs frontal middle scalp double and triple grafts 

20190706_080235.jpg

Edited by Doron Harati
  • Like 2

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

21 hours ago, gillenator said:

Couldn’t thick caliber donor hair be a problem too? Horse mane donor hair even singles planted in the hairline would look unnatural.