Is it a compromise?

We all know (at least this is my opinion) that a hair transplant is a kind of compromise if it comes to hair density. What do you think what should be a expected density percentage of good procedure? Let’s say 100% is natural hair in the place that was never affected by hair loss. What % would you expect from a properly performed procedure? 

You really can't generalize. It depends on a lot of factors. The average scalp has 6000-8000 grafts, the density you might aim for is really calculated by a few factors such as the amount of expected future hair loss, your current level of hair loss, your age, patient/doctor expectations and a few other factors. 

It also depends where in the scalp you're looking at. The midscalp, you can get away with low density. The hairline, is where you want the most density. 

A NW2 at age 40 can aim for near native density in the hairline if they really wanted to while a NW7 might not even be a candidate for surgery. 

I think the general rule is that 50% of native density is enough as it presents the illusion of density. Though really, it's not about the density so much as it is about the illusion of density. So as long as the transplant looks good, the actual density is immaterial. Also, density isn't the only thing as density only calculates how many grafts per cm2. It does nothing to calculate the actual thickness of the hairs. If you plant 2 trees it'll be thicker than 20 blades of grass for example.

Edited by deeznuts
  • Like 4

• Administrators

A good procedure gets you 40-50% of your original density. Let’s say you had 80 fu per cm2 a good procedure will get you 40 fu per cm2. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree with both replies...just to add, the degree of coarseness (caliber) plays a critical role in achieving the illusion of coverage...so, thin caliber won't nearly produce as much illusionary coverage as someone with a high degree of caliber.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I totally agree with all of the above. 50% of what you had would the illusion of great coverage. Hair characteristics plays as important of a role too. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram