Lost trasplanted hair due to TRT.

I've had 5 hair transplant surgeries, and just when I thought I won the battle... 

I noticed I was still losing hair,  but I was losing my transplanted hairs....     I spoke to my HT surgeon and he said it could be due to low/high testosterone.    He said those hairs will grow back once my testosterone level is at a normal range. 

I'm on TRT, and my doctor has lowered my dosage over a month ago,   and now I don't notice any more hairs falling out.    So,   does anyone know if its true.... Will the transplanted hairs that fell out due to high testosterone grow back now?    

55 minutes ago, ljpcarrera said:

What weekly dosage off testosterone were you on? Any other drugs like HCG or Estrogen blockers. Also are you on Fin or duta?

Thx for the reply... 

Was on 100mg weekly,  but I've went down to 80mg weekly for about 2 months now and I noticed I made a big difference for my hair.    Used to see hairs in the tub after a shower, but not anymore.   

I'm also on HCG 50/2x a week,  anastrozole 1mg weekly,   finesteride 1mg a day...   

Not sure what duta is? 

Sorry duta is Dutasteride. That's a pretty low dose of test. I was planning to start the exact therapy your on but 150mg of test a week. 

I have been on Dutasteride since 2002. I still have pretty much all my hair, I am 50 now. I recently added topical Dutasteride like 3 weeks ago as I want to stop the pill form. It seems like the topical is allready improving the look of my hair. It might be an illusion. 

There is so many unknowns on how T not DHT effects hair growth. You are on FIN so maybe your DHT spiked with the 100mg of test and 80mg made that slight difference.

I have not started the TRT regimen but plan too in about two weeks. I will start a post on it.

How do you feel on Trt compared to before you started. I am on the low range of the scale, just looking to optimize it. 50 is no fun, lol.

2 hours ago, ljpcarrera said:

Sorry duta is Dutasteride. That's a pretty low dose of test. I was planning to start the exact therapy your on but 150mg of test a week. 

I have been on Dutasteride since 2002. I still have pretty much all my hair, I am 50 now. I recently added topical Dutasteride like 3 weeks ago as I want to stop the pill form. It seems like the topical is allready improving the look of my hair. It might be an illusion. 

There is so many unknowns on how T not DHT effects hair growth. You are on FIN so maybe your DHT spiked with the 100mg of test and 80mg made that slight difference.

I have not started the TRT regimen but plan too in about two weeks. I will start a post on it.

How do you feel on Trt compared to before you started. I am on the low range of the scale, just looking to optimize it. 50 is no fun, lol.

Ahhh...  My mistake.  

I was on 200mg a week, and lowered it to 160.     I was thinking about how on the syringe..   I lowered it from the 1 to 8.   

TrT is great....   Got good energy for the gym and the bedroom.   What more can you ask for.   💪

• Administrators

Can you share some pictures. I’ve often wondered about transplanted hair and exogenous hormone exposure. It seems to me that the additional testosterone is affecting your hair. Are you on a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor such as finasteride or dutasteride?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Can you share some pictures. I’ve often wondered about transplanted hair and exogenous hormone exposure. It seems to me that the additional testosterone is affecting your hair. Are you on a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor such as finasteride or dutasteride?

weird timing, was watching joe rogan yesterday discussing TRT and wondering what it would do to both native and transplanted hair. I'm nowhere near his age, but sounds interesting for middle aged/older guys. 

2 minutes ago, rj. said:

weird timing, was watching joe rogan yesterday discussing TRT and wondering what it would do to both native and transplanted hair. I'm nowhere near his age, but sounds interesting for middle aged/older guys. 

Joe Rogan...    He's the one that got me interested in TRT.... like it's the fountain of youth.    

I gotta watch his latest podcast to see what you're referring to.  

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Etownone said:

Joe Rogan...    He's the one that got me interested in TRT.... like it's the fountain of youth.    

I gotta watch his latest podcast to see what you're referring to.  

@Etownone I was just wondering why you were prescribed HRT. Was for a specific medical condition or was it a more aesthetic reason? The reason I ask is because if you have options to drop or replace the TRT with something else that would be where I would first start with re: hair loss. All the best.

Gatsby, I just turned 50. I did full blood work and my T was in the low range. Also, estrogen was a little high. I have a hard time keeping weight off and find myself being tired all the time. I did a lot of research online and YouTube about HRT.  If you do it correctly, getting bloodwork every six months and going to a reputable clinic, it really can really make a difference in your quality of life. I think the stigma behind taking testosterone goes back to imagining a bodybuilder, but they take boat loads of various drugs.

The people who all did a safe protocol seem to be very happy with there outcome. They are not representing any clinic so no financial gains. There’s a lot of great stuff on youtube. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested.... 

I've made a change in my TRT dosage and within 5 weeks I can see a big difference in my hair.   

Instead of taking my test shot once a week like I've been doing,    I now split my dosage in 2,  and now inject once every 3 days.    Hair is feeling and looking so much healthier.    

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't really have much of a problem with men taking hormone replacements once they start hitting late 40's or so as long as they aren't going overboard taking lots of stuff trying to be massive body builders or if they are doing it at a young age when they don't need it. Many women take hormones after menopause and nobody thinks anything of it, so why should it be a problem if men do.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

How many mg? And test cyp or enanthate? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I don't really have much of a problem with men taking hormone replacements once they start hitting late 40's or so as long as they aren't going overboard taking lots of stuff trying to be massive body builders or if they are doing it at a young age when they don't need it. Many women take hormones after menopause and nobody thinks anything of it, so why should it be a problem if men do.

Everything is done with doctor monitoring and his prescriptions.      

I'd recommend it to everyone pushing 50 and over.     But I know it's not for everyone,   so to each their own.