Worried about hairline.

Ollie1252

Hello all. I’m 18 years old but my hairline seems to be somewhat receded. Now I’ve always had a bit of a bad hairline as I was teased as early as 8th grade but Im sure it’s gotten slightly worse since. This is odd as male pattern baldness is completely nonexistent in my family. I mean my dad has a very mature hairline but that’s all. So I don’t understand how this is happening to me. I went to the dermatologist the other day and basically what he said is he doesn’t think anything is going on but he said if it is really bothering me then I should hop on rogaine which is what I’ve been doing. Besides my hairline I have a very solid thick head of hair.  Could this just be early maturing like my father or something worse?

3405040F-AB99-4F5E-BC95-9FEAA2EC521F.png

275A9972-0571-42A5-BA7F-D8CF978E7CDD.png

It does look like classic recession at the temples but the good news is you are aware of it & addressing it early. With preventative medications, good shampoo's etc you can greatly slow down the loss almost indefinitely. I say that because when i was 18yo i was receding on the temples and now at 50 i am still fortunate to still have most of my hair. Do you have dandruff, scalp psoriasis, excessive itching etc? If so i am a strong believer in the benefits of Ionil T shampoo or a coal tar based shampoo - that helped the general healthiness of my scalp so much in the early days.

Look after your hair now and if you can control the loss you can always surgically correct the hairline with a top Dr down the track.

Best of luck.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Mikey1970 said:

It does look like classic recession at the temples but the good news is you are aware of it & addressing it early. With preventative medications, good shampoo's etc you can greatly slow down the loss almost indefinitely. I say that because when i was 18yo i was receding on the temples and now at 50 i am still fortunate to still have most of my hair. Do you have dandruff, scalp psoriasis, excessive itching etc? If so i am a strong believer in the benefits of Ionil T shampoo or a coal tar based shampoo - that helped the general healthiness of my scalp so much in the early days.

Look after your hair now and if you can control the loss you can always surgically correct the hairline with a top Dr down the track.

Best of luck.

Long time no see Mikey, feels like its been a few years since Ive seen you post.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah while I know my hairline is receded I’m just confused because it has been at this state for quite some time now and hasn’t moved back. Is it possible to recede a bit early on then just stop because I feel like that’s happening to me and it would make sense as that’s what pretty much happened to my father. He receded a bit early on then it stopped. Regardless of what’s happening I still plan on taking rogaine and hair strengthening shampoos. 

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Long time no see Mikey, feels like its been a few years since Ive seen you post.

Hi Melvin.

Yes, i have had my own nightmares with the Hair journey as i think you will remember. I have settled a lot since that time but as you are no doubt aware, it can leave some psychological scarring if you do not tread carefully and deal with ethical practitioners in this industry, thats for sure.

Cheers.

45 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Rogaine doesn't address the root cause of balding. Talk to your doctor about finasteride.

I don’t think he should be taking fin his hairline may slightly be receding but I really don’t think it’s anywhere near a point where he should hop on fin 

18 minutes ago, tbb1252 said:

I don’t think he should be taking fin his hairline may slightly be receding but I really don’t think it’s anywhere near a point where he should hop on fin 

Well if he's prone to further recession, min won't stop that. If that happens he'll end up taking fin anyway and need a hair transplant to get back to where he is now. The pictures he provided are difficult to evaluate because he cropped them so tightly, but I would not be surprised if he continues to recede.