Transplant without finasteride. Aggressive hairloss

Hi all

Long story short (posted longer version in wrong thread).

Aggressive hairloss since 23. Now 31. History of hairloss on both sides, although older brothers are fine. 

Tried finasteride, got side effects. Trying minoxidil for approx 7 months on hairline and 4months on crown. No results so far, assuming won't get any at this point. 

So no medication. Aggressive hairloss. Young age.  Is transplant possible for me?

Top 3 pics. Today, but under a ceiling light.

Bottom 3 pics. Taken in bright natural ligh. Last year, longer hair, better lighting bri

IMG_20210604_225711.jpg

IMG_20210604_225605.jpg

IMG_20210604_225351.jpg

IMG_20200414_135210.jpg

IMG_20200414_135205.jpg

IMG_20200414_165910.jpg

At 31 you still have lots of hair...you do have diffused hair loss and without effective hair loss meds, you stand to lose everything on top.

Having said that, talk with your doctor about pulling down the dose and even the frequency of ingestion to say every 3rd day to minimize or even get rid of the side-effects.

Although minoxidil can help in the short term, it does not prevent hair loss like finasteride...talk with your doctor about the topical form of finasteride which typically does not have sexual side-effects...there is even a topical form that combines both finasteride and minoxidil.

If you were to move forward with surgery, you want to have your donor microscopically examined before making any commitments and if your donor is indeed suitable, try and keep your goals realistic and conservative.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks @gillenator finasteride is not a option unfortunately. I have tried microdosing and topical forms. All eventually lead to side effects, the just take longer to show. 

Im aware minoxidil won't last too long, but I felt it was better than nothing and worth a shot.

My post is really to hear perspective on whether transplant is a option for me considering my aggressive loss, young age and inability to take finasteride.

Thanks

Ok, sorry to hear about the topical form not working out...I wonder if dutasteride would give you sides...just a thought.

Yes, I do believe using minoxidil is worth it as it has been proven to hold hair follicles in the growth phase for longer periods of time...it also thickens up hair shaft diameter (caliber).

Again, you want to have your donor microscopically examined to make sure it is suitable for transplantation.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

this does not seem to be "aggressive hairloss". When I was scrolling down the page I was expecting pics of a nearly bald person, or someone with a ridiculous small island of hair up front surrounding by a sea of baldness. 

You have hairloss for sure and it is significant, but don't think it is objectively that terrible. 

Melvin (moderator here) did his transplant without taking Finasteride. I think you're much better than he was. But really, what matters is whether you will eventually reach NW 7 and above and how good your donor hair is and will be. Some surgeons utilise body and beard hair too.

From what little you've posted, I think you will be able to do fine with hair transplants.

I don't think you have agressive hairloss honestly, otherwise (if it started at 23) you would be (almost) bald at this point. That being said, given that you can't take fin, I wouldn't go for a HT yet given the amount of hair you still have. I would use just hair concealers (Topik, dermatch,etc.), and you would have amazing results. 

Once your hair is in the point where the concealers are not helping anymore, iI would go for a HT

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 1:37 AM, gillenator said:

Ok, sorry to hear about the topical form not working out...I wonder if dutasteride would give you sides...just a thought.

Seriously? 

1 hour ago, bald-and-bearded said:

Melvin (moderator here) did his transplant without taking Finasteride. I think you're much better than he was.

+1

1 hour ago, juancbz45 said:

I don't think you have agressive hairloss honestly, otherwise (if it started at 23) you would be (almost) bald at this point.

+1

OP - you are clearly balding in a diffuse manner, however a far cry from the worst case scenario. 

From observing the hair on top that isn't currently miniaturising you seem to have pretty decent hair, and without seeing a clear pic of your donor, I would take a gamble that it is probably average at the very worst. 

You need to consult with top doctors, and listen to their thoughts and views - as they will undoubtedly vary, and from that, decide which one you feel most comfortable with. 

If you are smart and strategic, choose clinics wisely, and have realistic expectations, there is no reason as to why you can't climb back from this via hair restoration. 

All medications need the advice of a doctor who is experienced in treating hair loss since we are just lay people here.

Gillenator