Advice: Wait for Hasson or go for Konior?

1 hour ago, FuriousGeorge said:

Border is closed to all US citizens - only Canadians traveling back from the US are mandated to quarantine. If a US citizen shows up by plane, train, car, boat or hot air balloon, they will be turned away....unless it’s considered essential services ( I would argue hair restoration is essential - if only Trudeau were bald, maybe he’d agree 🤣). 

Really? I know American's that just landed in Vancouver and are quarantining in one of the mandated hotels. Now I wonder what essential service they told. 

10 hours ago, FuriousGeorge said:

Border is closed to all US citizens - only Canadians traveling back from the US are mandated to quarantine. If a US citizen shows up by plane, train, car, boat or hot air balloon, they will be turned away....unless it’s considered essential services ( I would argue hair restoration is essential - if only Trudeau were bald, maybe he’d agree 🤣). 

Can’t you get a medical visa? I have heard some people have been getting medical visas. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, hairophile said:

@FuriousGeorgeThis must be really frustrating for you! I second that.

I am new here and doing my research. What made you pick H&W over Dr Konior?

I’ve done research for about 5 years - consulted with H&W office in Seattle back when Mike was the consultant (now replaced by Doug). Visited H&W during a business trip last year also. I used this site a lot, including talking with many previous patients of many doctors behind Hasson and Konior. 

My case is I need an FUT mega session (4-5k grafts) to densely fill in a lost frontal third and restore a hairline, including a bit of temple work. Hasson is reputed to be the best at doing this. I consulted with Dr Konior when the border closed to explore my options and was surprised when he confirmed Hasson’s specialty of densely packing large mega sessions and he encouraged me to wait it out and stick with Hasson. Konior is top notch and very honest and ethical, but it was one more data point from an honest expert that Hasson was the right choice for me. 

Another difference to consider between the two is Konior is more expensive and he does everything himself (minus assistance from key techs), which puts his waitlist at usually 1+ year out. Hasson has techs do a lot of the work outside of making the strip and the recipient slits - but those techs have all been there for a very long time and are proven professionals from what I’ve discovered.

It really all depends on your goals - either doctor will be world class, but Hasson seems the best for my situation and goals. 

Things seem to look positive by summer (maybe) and fall (more likely) for border openings. 

1 minute ago, FuriousGeorge said:

I’ve done research for about 5 years - consulted with H&W office in Seattle back when Mike was the consultant (now replaced by Doug). Visited H&W during a business trip last year also. I used this site a lot, including talking with many previous patients of many doctors behind Hasson and Konior. 

My case is I need an FUT mega session (4-5k grafts) to densely fill in a lost frontal third and restore a hairline, including a bit of temple work. Hasson is reputed to be the best at doing this. I consulted with Dr Konior when the border closed to explore my options and was surprised when he confirmed Hasson’s specialty of densely packing large mega sessions and he encouraged me to wait it out and stick with Hasson. Konior is top notch and very honest and ethical, but it was one more data point from an honest expert that Hasson was the right choice for me. 

Another difference to consider between the two is Konior is more expensive and he does everything himself (minus assistance from key techs), which puts his waitlist at usually 1+ year out. Hasson has techs do a lot of the work outside of making the strip and the recipient slits - but those techs have all been there for a very long time and are proven professionals from what I’ve discovered.

It really all depends on your goals - either doctor will be world class, but Hasson seems the best for my situation and goals. 

Things seem to look positive by summer (maybe) and fall (more likely) for border openings. 

Thanks@FuriousGeorge! I truly appreciate your detailed explanation. How bad are the wait times to schedule with H&W?

On 4/29/2021 at 12:12 AM, FuriousGeorge said:

Been pushing my megasession FUT appointment (4-4.5k grafts) with Dr Hasson for almost a year now and Canada is not looking very positive relative to the US. It seems super unclear when the border will open and it’s getting super frustrating to see no end in sight. 

I’ve decided I will only let Hasson or Konior cut me. 

I’ve recently consulted with Dr. Konior who has been great in providing good info on what he would do (4K grafts) and his overall assessment. I was transparent with him about my perpetual Hasson appointment and he openly informed me that Dr Hasson is very good at large sessions and advised me to wait things out of I could, which was an interesting and honest response. 

Konior has a non-refundable $2k deposit, which really discourages me from booking something with him as a backup in case the border continues to stay closed into 2022.

I don’t doubt that Konior would do a great job, but wanted to call out for any other info I should consider and any advice or recommendations? 

Contact the Canadian Border. Ask what you need to do to enter the country. Get a letter from your Doctor saying you have an appointment on so and so. They will let you across. I did this a few months ago with the American border. I Drove across the border because I had a doctors note. Just call ahead of time. Or just fly into Canada and quarantine for 3 days. There are many ways around it.

I've been wanting to go to H&W too, so have been keeping an eye on the border situation. Looks like they extended the closure again recently >_<.

My other choices are Bisanga and Eugenix, which are currently non-starters as well. I may try to get in during late-Fall.

On 5/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, DaveWheeler said:

Contact the Canadian Border. Ask what you need to do to enter the country. Get a letter from your Doctor saying you have an appointment on so and so. They will let you across. I did this a few months ago with the American border. I Drove across the border because I had a doctors note. Just call ahead of time. Or just fly into Canada and quarantine for 3 days. There are many ways around it.

Just to clarify, are you Canadian? The US will still let Canadians in with just a negative test. It’s not the same way for Americans trying to get into Canada. I’ve talked about all options with Doug and Christine at H&W and nothing will work. I keep a close eye on the news and regulations - Canada makes you quarantine for two weeks, not three days. All the info can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, FuriousGeorge said:

Just to clarify, are you Canadian? The US will still let Canadians in with just a negative test. It’s not the same way for Americans trying to get into Canada. I’ve talked about all options with Doug and Christine at H&W and nothing will work. I keep a close eye on the news and regulations - Canada makes you quarantine for two weeks, not three days. All the info can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

I think you can get in with the vaccine

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.