how to know if finesterid is working?

vanilia

I am taking it now 4 months and dont see any results so far. Still i see a few hairs in my hand when i shampoo my head. Should i increase the dose or continue at this? I am taking around 0,6 every second day (5mg version cut in 8 pieces).

How to know that is started working?

• Administrators

Take pictures each week same place, same lighting, same angle. Allow at least a year before passing judgment.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Also about your dosage, cutting a 5mg pill 8 ways. You are getting about half the recommended dosage. This can also effect when you see results and how much, if any. Are you doing this because you initially had side effects? do you plan on increasing your dose at some point?

Some guys on here start with a lower dose to minimize the chances of getting side effects by giving the body time to adjust, then gradually increase up to the recommended dose over a period of weeks. I can't say whether there's any actual science behind that thinking, but there are some guys that swear by it based on their personal experience. Side effects and finasteride is a muddy subject, of the small minority of guys that do report getting side effects some of them are just being paranoid about the possibility and psych themselves out into actually having sexual performance issues. 

Edited by ciaus

As Melvin stated, you need to be on oral finasteride for at least 1 year to fully assess whether it's helping you or not. You can take up to 1mg daily as well. The chances of side effects are about 5%. Hope this helps and feel free to reach out privately if you'd like. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a video online that a doctor recommends taking the 1mg every other day as opposed to every day. The youtube channel is called The Hair Loss Show

Edited by Phab