Maximizing Lifetime Grafts with FUT and FUE - Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. David Josephitis

• Administrators

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I've been redeemed! Seriously, I am glad that you had this convo with these docs because, for some of us, doing FUE and then FUT is the more optimal choice. FYI, Dr. Suneet Soni, who is a recommended surgeon on this site, does both FUE and FUT in a single session. Perhaps you could interview him in the future about the success of this combined technique.

• Like 1

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, kirkland said:

I've been redeemed! Seriously, I am glad that you had this convo with these docs because, for some of us, doing FUE and then FUT is the more optimal choice. FYI, Dr. Suneet Soni, who is a recommended surgeon on this site, does both FUE and FUT in a single session. Perhaps you could interview him in the future about the success of this combined technique.

There has been a lot of debating whether you should go FUT first or FUE. I think its best go FUT first unless you plan on having regular sized session nothing above 3,000 grafts. I asked them if I could have an FUT after having 5K plus, and they said it's possible, but I may need to wear my hair longer to cover the scar, so something to consider.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

FUT + FUE = Max Grafts! 

You are definitely a testament to that. I wish I would've thought about this when I had my HT. At that time it was FUT vs. FUE FML.

View my thread

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You are definitely a testament to that. I wish I would've thought about this when I had my HT. At that time it was FUT vs. FUE FML.

FUE was in its infancy when I started this journey, so it wasn't as credible an option as it is now.  Didn't really have much of a dilemma at the time. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

39 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

There has been a lot of debating whether you should go FUT first or FUE. I think its best go FUT first unless you plan on having regular sized session nothing above 3,000 grafts. I asked them if I could have an FUT after having 5K plus, and they said it's possible, but I may need to wear my hair longer to cover the scar, so something to consider.

I am glad you mentioned this as it's extremely important to talk about how much FUE is done before going to FUT.

Out of curiosity, have you ever let your hair grow longer (specifically donor) and if so, how does it look?

I'm really interested in the order too. I understand combining them to maximise grafts, I just want to know if there's any downside to going FUT, doing a smaller FUE and then potentially a large FUT down the road.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators
12 hours ago, kramer79 said:

I am glad you mentioned this as it's extremely important to talk about how much FUE is done before going to FUT.

Out of curiosity, have you ever let your hair grow longer (specifically donor) and if so, how does it look?

I never have, most I’ll let it grow is about a month before I want to cut it desperately. 

View my thread

• Administrators
13 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

FUE was in its infancy when I started this journey, so it wasn't as credible an option as it is now.  Didn't really have much of a dilemma at the time. 

That’s true. It was sort of a given to get FUT at that time. How was the difference for you? 

View my thread