Minoxidil Scalp Irritation

Hi Guys,

I am facing scalp irritation (redness and itching) after using minoxidil, tried both liquid and Foam and had same issues. Can you guys suggest any other alternative to keep my existing hair. I have thinning on my crown. 

Used finasteride for quite a long but had to stop it due to side effects.

Minoxidil can couse scalp inflammation which is bad for your hair. If you want regrowth, oral minoxidil is pretty safe when micro dosing, 2.5mg or 5mg. As far as AA go you could try topical finasteride, or dutasteride. There is also flutamide which some people had great success with. 

Without a DHT blocker like finasteride, minoxidil, the oral and the topical versions, is only going to help enhance your vulnerable hairs until the DHT flowing through your body causes you to ultimately lose those hairs. Just be sure that you are aware of that, minoxidil is not a long term solution for keeping your hair.

There's also shampoos with ketoconazole like Nizoral, but that's going to only help you marginally. There's lesser known and used options that may give you some results like dermarolling, although with that most of the guys on here are also using minoxidil so hard to say how good that works all by itself, I wouldn't expect too much. And there's laser caps, but I would put even less hope in that for any meaningful results, more of a marginal thing too that hardcore guys do along with everything else I've mentioned.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Does your minoxidil contain alcohol? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.