FUE + PRP...better results? any evidence?

Hi everyone!

I am scheduled for FUE (roughly 1700 grafts) in a few weeks.

The practice is offering PRP during the procedure, and says that the PRP may help prevent shock loss and speed the growth of new grafts.

They are not making any definitive claims, just saying this is what they see from experience.

Let me add: I already am receiving PRP and will be finished with my third PRP treatment before the FUE procedure.

What do you think?

Thank you!

• Administrators

There’s no evidence it does anything really, some people have good results with it. I believe @Mycroft has some experience with PRP as a standalone. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, williamsburgh said:

Hi everyone!

I am scheduled for FUE (roughly 1700 grafts) in a few weeks.

The practice is offering PRP during the procedure, and says that the PRP may help prevent shock loss and speed the growth of new grafts.

They are not making any definitive claims, just saying this is what they see from experience.

Let me add: I already am receiving PRP and will be finished with my third PRP treatment before the FUE procedure.

What do you think?

Thank you!

Are you on minoxidil and finasteride? That'll help give you better results.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Are you on minoxidil and finasteride? That'll help give you better results.

Hi Dr. Khokhar,

I am applying minoxidil twice per day. I am not currently on finasteride because I am concerned about side effects.

What do you think about PRP during the transplant itself?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, williamsburgh said:

Hi Dr. Khokhar,

I am applying minoxidil twice per day. I am not currently on finasteride because I am concerned about side effects.

What do you think about PRP during the transplant itself?

Thanks!

As a starting point I'm going to say that it's absurd to be making plans to undergo SURGERY but being afraid of side effects from Finasteride that you may not even have. If you're concerned about shock loss and haven't even tried Finasteride you're making a mistake.

Good PRP may indeed speed up early growth and reduce chances of shock loss. I found it to be beneficial for my hair independent of surgery, but the most impressive results I've seen for it all come from users using some manner of DHT blocker as a foundation. If you can't tolerate Finasteride due to known side effects that's one thing, but if you're not even willing to try you're severely limiting how effective growth boosters like Minoxidil or PRP will be for you.

• Like 1