Conflicting information FUT, DHI, FUE

It really depends on the individual. We usually would recommend getting FUT if you have a high Norwood level and need as many grafts as possible. 
It also depends if you can live with the FUT scar. Which rules out a lot of very short/fade cuts. Some clinics are able to do pretty mammoth FUT sessions. Hasson & Wong for example. What i really like is the combo cases Dr Bisanga does, FUT and FUE at the same time. 

Edited by JohnAC71

• Administrators

A lot of places have schills. They go undetected, these guys will usually say something like “FUT forget that DHI is better” anyone who knows anything about hair transplants know that DHI is an implantation technique, while FUT is the harvesting technique.

It’s a bit like someone saying is a phillips head screwdriver better? Phillips head, forget that a hammer is better. Would you take anything that person says seriously? No. In this forum, we have veterans who’ve had several hair transplants, they’re been at this 10+years. We we’re here before the whole Turkish model blew up. 

Anyone who discredits FUT is not being truthful, it’s a good technique, but like all things, it depends on the individual. There is no one-size-fits-all to hair transplant surgery. The reason why we host these live Q&A’s is so the community gets real, honest and credible information. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Thanks for the explanation, wow good to know. Is there any reason why someone wouldn’t want FUT?

It rules out shorter and fade cuts. You need to have your hair longer to cover the FUT scar. FUE allows for shorter cuts, but obviously still leaves scarring.

And there is always a risk of a stretched/wider FUT scar. Some are pencil like thin, others unfortunately are more noticeable. 

• Like 1

What I don’t understand about FUT is how do they get so many hairs out of a small strip of skin?? Why can’t they just extract the same strip of hairs using the FUE method and also take hairs from the other doner areas? That way you don’t have a huge scar ?

A lot of people think of 80s and 90s "hair plugs" when they think about hair transplants. One way of convincing people is to push the blame onto FUT with the big scar and the bad plugs, in favour of the bright new shiny FUE that "leaves no scars" and has a quicker recovery time.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

27 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

A lot of people think of 80s and 90s "hair plugs" when they think about hair transplants. One way of convincing people is to push the blame onto FUT with the big scar and the bad plugs, in favour of the bright new shiny FUE that "leaves no scars" and has a quicker recovery time.

But how can try get thousands of hairs from a small strip of skin? That’s what I don’t get? 

1 minute ago, Sitries1 said:

But how can try get thousands of hairs from a small strip of skin? That’s what I don’t get? 

I have absolutely no idea... for me it's about doing research, choosing the right clinic and trusting their judgement/ability. The technicalities like that go way above my head.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Sitries1 said:

The strip isn’t always small, there are megasession strips which are wide and extend pass the ears. These strips can opossess up to 7,000-8,000 grafts. If your skin is elastic, you’ll get sutured and there would be no visible change to your donor. Of course, not everyone is gonna get that many grafts, these are extremes I’m talking here, but 8k+ is impossible in one sitting with FUE, the donor would get destroyed.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The strip isn’t always small, there are megasession strips which are wide and extend pass the ears. These strips can opossess up to 7,000-8,000 grafts. If your skin is elastic, you’ll get sutured and there would be no visible change to your donor. Of course, not everyone is gonna get that many grafts, these are extremes I’m talking here, but 8k+ is impossible in one sitting with FUE, the donor would get destroyed.

That’s a hell of a job they did there. Wow. Can’t ever know see his scar 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s incredible, how many grafts does he have left? 

My strip was pretty much ear to ear. I forget the number of grafts but they said they got about 8000 hairs. My donor area looks exactly the same as before my surgery. I feel like I could easily have 2 more of the same size strips taken if I wanted to. 

2 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

My strip was pretty much ear to ear. I forget the number of grafts but they said they got about 8000 hairs. My donor area looks exactly the same as before my surgery. I feel like I could easily have 2 more of the same size strips taken if I wanted to. 

That’s some pretty good laxity you must have 👏 your pretty future proofed ! 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Do you have a thread of your results?

4 hours ago, Sitries1 said:

Looks great! No strip scar?

It’s very small. At a number four guard I can’t see it at all. At a 3 it’s slightly visible. My plan was to wear my hair longer anyway so I haven’t seen the scar in months. 

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

The scar is so faint I could hardly take a picture of it, even with my hair pulled apart like this. 

488E784B-70B9-4AE8-99AF-70BA5B29B731.jpeg

Wow that’s a pencil thin strip scar, you’re a surgeon’s dream. Good laxity, heal well. 

View my thread