I am considering a $6/graft surgeon, but looking for feedback

Hi all,

So I’ll preface this by saying that I am no wealthy man, but I really want to get an FUE transplant in the near future. I’ve got some money in the bank, but I don’t make a whole hell of a lot, so this is a big expense. I found a clinic in LA called “LA FUE Hair Clinic” that has some pretty solid results posted and is relatively cheap considering transplant costs in California/US for FUE transplants. (https://lafuehairclinic.com)

This clinic posts videos explaining the process and everything, which is really cool, but obviously with the price being cheaper, I’m curious what exactly I’m missing, if anything. There was one patient in particular whose results really blew me away after I watched the video and caught up to his final results. I notice one of the main surgeons there is not an Md, too, so I’m wondering if maybe they’re a bit more amateur...? 

Sorry, I’m kind of new to this, so I appreciate any insight. 

16 minutes ago, HairGuy90 said:

Do you think that’s indicative of something bad?

No, I just don't believe it. For example, there's no way this hairline is close to that. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EsB-kH9LH/

The only red flag I see (if I'm bein picky) is that their results are in Instagram. Low resolution and too easy to apply filters. Lots of clinics do that. Even though some of the results look pretty good, I'm super skeptical.

Any reason why you wouldn't try Spain, Belgium or Turkey. For about $3/graft you can get a great surgeon with far greater reputation and tons of success threads on here. 

10 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

No, I just don't believe it. For example, there's no way this hairline is close to that. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EsB-kH9LH/

The only red flag I see (if I'm bein picky) is that their results are in Instagram. Low resolution and too easy to apply filters. Lots of clinics do that. Even though some of the results look pretty good, I'm super skeptical.

Any reason why you wouldn't try Spain, Belgium or Turkey. For about $3/graft you can get a great surgeon with far greater reputation and tons of success threads on here. 

Any surgeons in particular that maybe you know of? Unfortunately I am not a fan of flying and I’m not sure how well I would do with traveling to a foreign country for something like that. 

Many people don't like flying and travel is tricky right now. I went to Turkey and did a little sight seeing while I was there... and I was able to save a lot of money and I even flew business class. I would say most people on this forum flew to their doctor.

As for clinics, there are a bunch of possibilities. I would spend a lot of time going through the Surgeon Reviews and Patient Results forums on here. You'll find people with similar hair as yours and see many photos. This isn't an operation you want to skip your research. 

On edit... be careful of Facebook groups. They are heavily budget focused.

Edited by MachoVato
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HairGuy90 said:

Hi all,

So I’ll preface this by saying that I am no wealthy man, but I really want to get an FUE transplant in the near future. I’ve got some money in the bank, but I don’t make a whole hell of a lot, so this is a big expense. I found a clinic in LA called “LA FUE Hair Clinic” that has some pretty solid results posted and is relatively cheap considering transplant costs in California/US for FUE transplants. (https://lafuehairclinic.com)

This clinic posts videos explaining the process and everything, which is really cool, but obviously with the price being cheaper, I’m curious what exactly I’m missing, if anything. There was one patient in particular whose results really blew me away after I watched the video and caught up to his final results. I notice one of the main surgeons there is not an Md, too, so I’m wondering if maybe they’re a bit more amateur...? 

Why not go with FUT first? You'll maximize the number of grafts going the FUT route and then doing FUE.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Just now, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Why not go with FUT first? You'll maximize the number of grafts going the FUT route and then doing FUE.

Hello Dr. Khokhar,

My issue with FUT is the scar it will likely leave. If I finally get a HT, I want it to be nearly impossible to tell. 

7 minutes ago, HairGuy90 said:

My issue with FUT is the scar it will likely leave. If I finally get a HT, I want it to be nearly impossible to tell. 

I've had six FUT surgeries.  Nobody can tell, and I don't wear my hair super long either.

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

5 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

I've had six FUT surgeries.  Nobody can tell, and I don't wear my hair super long either.

I was under the impression there is a linear scar with any FUT, some are just less noticeable. Do you have photos of your results by chance?

Of course If you choose a elite/decent Clinic you have a better chance of ending up with a decent FUT scar.

Although their is no guarantee it will end up pencil thin. I have had to have mine revised as it stretched. 
Look through the 100s of real FUT patient results on the forum, you will see how different they can end up. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HairGuy90 said:

Hello Dr. Khokhar,

I've had 2 FUTs and no barber has been able to tell. The characteristics of the scar depend on the pre and post procedure regimen of the patient, intrinsic healing properties of the patient, and the skills of the surgeon. Feel free to PM as well and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

7 hours ago, HairGuy90 said:

Hi all,

If you are willing to travel some options are listed here:

• Valued Contributor

@HairGuy90. RESEARCH, research and then research. Are you able to put up some pics of your current hair loss situation? Are you taking finasteride (and if so how long?) to stabilize your hair loss? Forget about marketing and BS photos. You should be able to meet with previous patients if the surgeon is in your neck of the woods. You should be looking for results from patients that have a similar hair loss to your own with excellent results achieved on a consistent basis to find the surgeon that's right for you. You will be looking into the mirror everyday as a reminder of how much research you have put into your choose. Price should be the last priority (and that doesn't mean that you have to see the most expensive surgeon in the world - and it is surgery never forget). All the best!

• Like 1