Are hair transplants short-term solutions and long-term hassles?

22 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

True, that’s why forums like this exist. We’re not here to promise you anything, if I think you’ll be a bad candidate, I say don’t do it and look elsewhere. Our job isn’t to sell hair transplants, we’re here to educate and help link “educated and reasonable” patients with doctors backed by reviews. 

If we start pushing HTs on bad candidates, not only will we do a disservice to the patient, but well do a disservice to the forum, and the doctor. They’ll be a ton of guys coming here complaining that they were misled, or were never told they needed multiple HTs or that an HT wouldn’t cure their hair loss. Sounds like common sense, but you’d be shocked the dms I receive.

Maybe I’m too blunt, but I know when I see a bad candidate. The line of questioning is always the same. Of course question long-term, but if your expectations are that if you can’t have a full head of hair it’s not worth it, then yea move on. No one can guarantee that ever.  

I wouldn't say "blunt," I'd say defensive, using the "hair system" as some kind of threat. I have never said that I expect a full head of hair, nor have I said I'm interested in a hair system. This sort of response reminds me of the discussions I've had about the virtues and faults of America. Inevitably, someone will just toss out the entire question and say, "well if you don't like it here, why don't you move someplace else?" The whole point of the discussion is to gain a better understanding of the situation. Because I've never had a hair transplant, I can't say whether or not I'd feel it to be "a hassle," which is why I'm asking people who have been through it. If I ask and everyone responds with "It's been the best decision of my life, at most it's like getting a tuneup every five to ten years," I'm going to walk away with a different impression than if half of the responses are "I don't know, it's really been an unpredictable mess and left me with all sorts of regrets." Of course, people will have different tolerances, but it's something more to go on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, caricatura said:

I wouldn't say "blunt," I'd say defensive, using the "hair system" as some kind of threat.

The hair system was an alternative suggestion. To interpret that as some kind of threat is just pot stirring. Your forum name choice is becoming more revealing, a play on the word caricature, as in caricaturing someone suffering from hair loss. Like the forum user named 'Jolly' who goes around negatively posting on everyone else's threads.

You have no credibility with me going forward and I feel sorry for anyone that sincerely takes the time to reply to anything you post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, ciaus said:

The hair system was an alternative suggestion. To interpret that as some kind of threat is just pot stirring. Your forum name choice is becoming more revealing, a play on the word caricature, as in caricaturing someone suffering from hair loss. Like the forum user named 'Jolly' who goes around negatively posting on everyone else's threads.

You have no credibility with me going forward and I feel sorry for anyone that sincerely takes the time to reply to anything you post.

This ^ only members who like to stir the pot and like drama would like his comments I’m exiting the thread. 

image.gif

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Your interpretation of my forum name is as creative as it is absurd. I am not going around negatively posting on anyone's thread. The fact that my reasonable questions are interpreted as "negativity" is further evidence of the same sort of defensiveness that I mentioned. I don't seek any "credibility" from your or any posters on this forum, I am a self-professed novice to this entire process. If you don't like the topic, why waste time participating in it just to say so? And, as I said, I am grateful to the many of you who have actually tried to answer my questions. As far as I knew, that was the whole point of the network.

• Like 1

It appears "The Hair Loss Show" is warning to be cautious, too. And the main response in the comments is that what he doesn't account for is the importance of having hair when you're young (which I get). I may be wrong, but have a feeling this warning is partially due to a "boom" in HTs in recent years.

Look at Zinedine Zidane when he was playing for Juventus. He still had a full intact low hairline but his vertex had gone(or almost). If you have a transplant for the hairline/frontal third and then lose the rest behind later that's what you'll look like but I wouldn't class that as "goofy" looking, obviously if you've already gone down the transplant route then the likelihood is that you'd want to sort that as well but I don't think you'd be left with a particularly unnatural looking head - assuming the transplant itself was done to a good level.

Actually even now you can still see Zidane's hairline and frontal third is still kind of intact although he shaves it bald, it still creates a bit of a frame to the face which is better than nothing.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:19 PM, BLE123 said:

Look at Zinedine Zidane when he was playing for Juventus. He still had a full intact low hairline but his vertex had gone(or almost). If you have a transplant for the hairline/frontal third and then lose the rest behind later that's what you'll look like but I wouldn't class that as "goofy" looking, obviously if you've already gone down the transplant route then the likelihood is that you'd want to sort that as well but I don't think you'd be left with a particularly unnatural looking head - assuming the transplant itself was done to a good level.

Actually even now you can still see Zidane's hairline and frontal third is still kind of intact although he shaves it bald, it still creates a bit of a frame to the face which is better than nothing.

What an odd case. Yes, he looked okay when playing for Juventus. But I'm not sure I like the remaining "frame" today. I imagine he has to constantly shave really close to the scalp, lest it look funny (it's like a hair triangle island). Why didn't he get the rest filled in? And why, if he knew he wouldn't be able to fill in the rest down the road due to donor supply, did he set himself up with such a low, unnatural-looking hairline to start with? I guess he was just going for short-term gains, enjoying the moment.

Edited by caricatura

This is a really great thread, and you've echoed my exact thoughts and worries - worries that I have almost daily. 

Topics like this are extremely useful, so thanks for posting.

One thing to consider: if we are worried about longevity, as I am, I am going to opt for an extremely conservative hairline. Even if I have a 5-head, I'll be happy if I have hair

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 5:00 AM, caricatura said:

Your interpretation of my forum name is as creative as it is absurd. I am not going around negatively posting on anyone's thread. The fact that my reasonable questions are interpreted as "negativity" is further evidence of the same sort of defensiveness that I mentioned. I don't seek any "credibility" from your or any posters on this forum, I am a self-professed novice to this entire process. If you don't like the topic, why waste time participating in it just to say so? And, as I said, I am grateful to the many of you who have actually tried to answer my questions. As far as I knew, that was the whole point of the network.

I wouldn't bother explaining. His looney deep-dive into your name says enough about how he analyses information lol. Your thread is a great help.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:14 AM, caricatura said:

What an odd case. Yes, he looked okay when playing for Juventus. But I'm not sure I like the remaining "frame" today. I imagine he has to constantly shave really close to the scalp, lest it look funny (it's like a hair triangle island). Why didn't he get the rest filled in? And why, if he knew he wouldn't be able to fill in the rest down the road due to donor supply, did he set himself up with such a low, unnatural-looking hairline to start with? I guess he was just going for short-term gains, enjoying the moment.

That's his natural hair, he never had a transplant. That's what I'm  trying to say, he had a different balding pattern to most but I don't think anyone looked at him and thought he looked weird, he was just a guy losing his hair.