Is this a limitation of hair transplant or surgical error

I am 12 months post op from an FUE procedure, which is my second one. I am quite happy with the results, but there is an issue and I was wondering if it is a limitation of the procedure or more likely a surgical error.

Basically whenever I take a shower, I let my hair dry naturally. Once it is fully dry, my hair appears extremely thick and stays that way for a couple of hours. Usually the next day after I wake up, my hair appears quite thin, with the hairline being see through. I have heard hair transplants are just an illusion of density, so is what is happening here normal and has anyone else experienced this?

Do you have pics showing your hair after shower and the next day. One thing could be your hair is still maturing after this recent surgery as it may still be a bit wirey and can take a little over a year to fully mature in terms of texture. The other thing to keep in mind is what you stated regarding illusion of density. The exact density of your hair prior to any hair loss would not be possible via surgery and packing too closely would mostly result In a lot of grafts not surviving as they compete for blood supply.

A thing I always found also is that after showering and drying my hair it always seemed thicker but would appear more thin the next morning. The reason with me was mostly due to hair products mixing with my natural scalp oils weighing my hair down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deitel130 said:

Do you have pics showing your hair after shower and the next day. One thing could be your hair is still maturing after this recent surgery as it may still be a bit wirey and can take a little over a year to fully mature in terms of texture. The other thing to keep in mind is what you stated regarding illusion of density. The exact density of your hair prior to any hair loss would not be possible via surgery and packing too closely would mostly result In a lot of grafts not surviving as they compete for blood supply.

A thing I always found also is that after showering and drying my hair it always seemed thicker but would appear more thin the next morning. The reason with me was mostly due to hair products mixing with my natural scalp oils weighing my hair down.

He said he is 12 months post-op. But I agree it could be the products that could be making the hairs look/feel thicker.

15 minutes ago, baldiee said:

He said he is 12 months post-op. But I agree it could be the products that could be making the hairs look/feel thicker.

Yes, certain products when not over applied can add volume and give a good illusion of density. Usually though the next morning when the products break down and mix with scalp oils it tends to weight the hair down making it seem more thin from my personal experience.

Speaking very broadly, not specifically to your case as I do not see pictures, it is common post-op to need to use product or otherwise put more effort into styling your hair, than it was pre-op. Even in amazing "homerun" cases, the transplant hair may not be as compliant as the surrounding native hair. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, snowy said:

I am 12 months post op from an FUE procedure, which is my second one. I am quite happy with the results, but there is an issue and I was wondering if it is a limitation of the procedure or more likely a surgical error.

Basically whenever I take a shower, I let my hair dry naturally. Once it is fully dry, my hair appears extremely thick and stays that way for a couple of hours. Usually the next day after I wake up, my hair appears quite thin, with the hairline being see through. I have heard hair transplants are just an illusion of density, so is what is happening here normal and has anyone else experienced this?

It’s most likely because of the natural oils in your hair. When you wash your hair it strips the follicles of oils, so the individual strands don’t clump together. The opposite occurs when your hair is oily. 

Here’s an example of oily hair which shows the scalp, even in women. I have the same issue which is why I wash my hair daily.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.