Transplant Hair Doesn't Match Native Hair, 2 Yrs Later....

My 1st hair transplant was just over 2 years ago. There was a lot wrong with it (a visible lack of density), but all the transplant hair did indeed grow. My native hair is thick but straight, while my transplant hair is strangely curly, and its noticeable at the hairline. Multiple docs have stated the primary theory is that my donor hair is curly so this is why it looks that way. When my donor area hair is short it is totally straight, but indeed, on rare occasions when I have grown out my donor hair long, it does get somewhat curly, but not as curly as the transplant hair, which is significantly curly. Furthermore, the hair is not just curly, but really stiff/rigid, even 2 yrs post HT! The curly hair does respond well to gel, but obviously that is a chore and I'm not a fan of the shiny, formal, gel look. It wouldn't bother me that much if I wanted a slicked back hairstyle, but its pretty annoying when I just want to do a relaxed side part. 

I can accept this flaw if it is indeed just naturally how my donor hair takes shape, but part of me wonders if the doc did a poor job of angling the hair or some other doctor/tech related reason.

I know at 2 years I need to accept this hair probably won't soften or straighten, but its hard to accept. I know transplant hair in general fully matures by 18 months. However I did ask Dr. Diep about it during an unrelated consultation and he said the hair should be better in 3-5 years, because hair cycles are super slow. 

In my pic, you can see the transplant hair extends/points outward; when it gets a bit longer it then does a loop/curl back in the direction of the scalp. Its not a problem when I have a buzz cut or, conversely, when the hair is significantly longer, but the curl is noticeable when the hair is shortish length. All the hairline transplant hair has this shape, its not just a few isolated hairs. As I said before, the transplant hair is also really rigid and stands up. My native hair is soft and relaxed at the base/root, but for all the transplant hair, the first couple centimeters or so the hair is completely vertical and straight, and after that the curl starts to form. 

Any thoughts on hair changing shape/texture after 2 years? Can anyone share pics/examples of badly angles hair, particularly at the hairline? How is the hair supposed to be angled at the hairline and temple points?  Any ideas besides gel on taming the hair? 

Pics below. Please do not comment on lack of density in the hairline. That is unrelated to this post. I actually had another hair transplant 2 months ago to correct the lack of density. Hopefully the new hair doesn't compound the situation...

curly hair.jpg

hair4 rotated.jpg

hair3 rotated.jpg

hair2 rotated.jpg

hair1 rotated.jpg

Edited by DenverBuff1989

• DenverBuff1989 changed the title to Transplant Hair Doesn't Match Native Hair, 2 Yrs Later....

@qui bonoI replied to your PM and just saw you responded here as well lol. Do you have any recommendations on specific waxes you use? 

It does help me accept this issue more if it really is an unpredictable behavior of the skin/scalp, rather than doctor or tech neglect. Another reason I think it may just be natural behavior is pretty much all my transplant hair has these curls. I would think it would be more on the neglect side if there were just sporadic, isolated cases of this on my scalp.

Yes I've thought about getting it removed as well. But who is to say if you get new grafts placed in the same area, the new grafts won't do the exact same thing. And I do like my hairline placement, its just the freaking curls look so out of place. In my case, I'm not sure either I'd want to add more grafts around these problem areas, bc again new grafts could do the same thing, and I wouldn't want my hairline to be any lower. 

I have noticed as well some parts of the hairline curl more than others. The very front/middle of my hairline is more of a downward curl, and naturally goes downward. The rigid, vertical curls are on the sides/temples. 

@qui bonothanks for the help. just to clarify, so what are your opinion(s) on why it occurred in your situation? If it's how the skin grips the hair, I would consider that an (unfortunate) natural response - obviously not a natural appearance, but natural in that its the scalp's reaction to the transplant. 

@Westview Shelley Lovitt of colorado, just a random doc doing HTs on the side. In hindsight I can't believe I ever thought it was a good idea to see her. The clinic she works at is run by James Harris, who I do actually like and did my repair ht 2 months ago

Do you know how the hairline is supposed to be angled? Does badly angled hair lead to curlyness?

Its interesting how every single transplant hair has significant curlyness. I would have thought if it was poorly angled it would just be a some portion of the grafts, not all of them. But I wouldnt put it past my 1st doc to get the angles wrong on top of everything else

42 minutes ago, Westview said:

It looks like your surgeon or the tech girls didnt get the angles right.

What clinic did you go to??

That was my first impression too...the angles of the grafts.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The key is to follow the exact angulations of the native hair within the area being grafted.

Native hair grows at various angles on the scalp so this is why the key is to match the surrounding native hair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

16 hours ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

@Westview Shelley Lovitt of colorado, just a random doc doing HTs on the side. In hindsight I can't believe I ever thought it was a good idea to see her. The clinic she works at is run by James Harris, who I do actually like and did my repair ht 2 months ago

Do you know how the hairline is supposed to be angled? Does badly angled hair lead to curlyness?

Its interesting how every single transplant hair has significant curlyness. I would have thought if it was poorly angled it would just be a some portion of the grafts, not all of them. But I wouldnt put it past my 1st doc to get the angles wrong on top of everything else

The good news is all this is fixable.  You'll just have to get another FUE done to fix this mess, so thats gonna cost extra money.  I wouldnt go back to the same clinic to fix it though, but you should try to hit them up for refund.  If they say no try putting pressure on them with a bad google review