Shampoo

HRBR in Dublin reccomend using tea tree shampoo for 1 week before surgery. I don't know exactly they do this.

Dr Saifi has not reccomended any specific type of shampoo.

Today when shopping for tea tree shampoo I saw some stuff called Neutrogena. It was an expensive shampoo and apparently it is good for things like flakey skin, dandruff, psoriasis and sebhorric dermatitis. I actually have sebhorric dermatitis/prosriasis.

Can anyone tell me why HRBR reccomend tea tree shampoo, and also, can anyone tell me about the Neutrogena shampoo that helps with psorasis and what not?

Thanks.

Don't know anything about HRBR Dublin. Do they recommend that for all patients, or just because you told them about your skin conditions?

It won't hurt anything, but your wallet, like you've noticed.

While tea tree oil does have some anti-inflammatory properties, since you know about your skin conditions I assume you already have a regimen you are following to manage them.  I'd stick with those and leave the tea tree shampoo for people with money to burn.

56 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Don't know anything about HRBR Dublin. Do they recommend that for all patients, or just because you told them about your skin conditions?

It won't hurt anything, but your wallet, like you've noticed.

While tea tree oil does have some anti-inflammatory properties, since you know about your skin conditions I assume you already have a regimen you are following to manage them.  I'd stick with those and leave the tea tree shampoo for people with money to burn.

You're wrong. HRBR don't make or sell tea tree shampoo and it is not costly, it can come to the same price as any old generic shampoo unless you buy some sort of exclusive novelty brand. A lot of people probably use it from time to time without even realizing it. I bought a bottle today for €1.77. However, the neutrogena shampoo which claims to help flakey skin, demratitus etc, that was expensive, that was €10.25 per bottle.

I use Nizoral once a week but I have been using that for years just to mitigate against the chances of unwanted flare ups on my skin/forehead and scalp.

The only thing Dr Saifi instructs with regards to shampoo is that you don't shampoo your hair the day before surgery, leave it as it is he says, he' give it a little rinse himself on the day of surgery. He doesn't say anything about tea tree shampoo.

I'm just curious as to why HRBR would reccomend using tea tree shampoo for a week prior to surgery, could it alleviate unwanted skin conditions, might it soften the skin or something, who knows? I'm also curiois about the Neutrogena shampoo that I saw in Tesco today, it claims to be good for skin conditions, but perhaps I am asking about that in the wrong place.

52 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

You're wrong. HRBR don't make or sell tea tree shampoo and it is not costly,

I never said they did. As far as not being costly, that means its still not free, so your wallet will be at least a little lighter.

I would expect to have heard more about pre-op tea tree shampoo from other doctors/patients here on the forum if there was actually anything substantial to it. Based on that 'recommendation,' and the potentially socially offensive act of not washing your hair the day before surgery, I'd be looking elsewhere for a doctor.

I like to encourage all my fellow human beings to take daily showers for the sake of your fellow man.

Or maybe this is one of those secrets of the Irish like leprechaun gold, and you've let the cat out of the bag! :D

Edited by ciaus
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I never said they did. As far as not being costly, that means its still not free, so your wallet will be at least a little lighter.

I would expect to have heard more about pre-op tea tree shampoo from other doctors/patients here on the forum if there was actually anything substantial to it. Based on that 'recommendation,' and the potentially socially offensive act of not washing your hair the day before surgery, I'd be looking elsewhere for a doctor.

I like to encourage all my fellow human beings to take daily showers for the sake of your fellow man.

Or maybe this is one of those secrets of the Irish like leprechaun gold, and you've let the cat out of the bag! :D

Haha. HRBR reccomended tea tree shampoo and I didn't mind spending €1.77 because for such a pittance you wouldn't buy much else anyway.

Dr Saifi reccomends you do not wash your hair the day before surgery and apparently he is a very good doctor.

1 hour ago, Rossybop said:

Dr Saifi reccomends you do not wash your hair the day before surgery and apparently he is a very good doctor.

Be careful with cheap, assuming something will actually work, you often get what you pay for. I've had two tea-tree-free procedures I'm happy with. AND I have Chuck Norris on my side! In the words from his immortal Right Guard deodorant commercials, 'The best defense is not to offend." :D

image.png

• Haha 2

I’m not aware of any scientific explanation for using tea tree oil. Could have some anti inflammatory/bacterial/fungal properties but nothing directly related to the actual transplant. 
I personally test scalps before surgery for sebum/ dryness levels etc using specific probes and cameras. If anything suspicious shows up then I might recommend certain treatments for that before or after the transplant. Varies from person to person. 

• Like 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

Be careful with cheap, assuming something will actually work, you often get what you pay for. I've had two tea-tree-free procedures I'm happy with. AND I have Chuck Norris on my side! In the words from his immortal Right Guard deodorant commercials, 'The best defense is not to offend." :D

image.png

Well HRBR are probably the most expensive clinic in the world and they are the ones that reccomended tea tree shampoo.

Dr Saifi is affordable on the grand scale of things but he is by no means as cheap as a hair mill or a budget friendly Turkish transplant.

Regardless of whether I shampoo a day in advance or not though I will make sure I smell good lol.

17 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I’m not aware of any scientific explanation for using tea tree oil. Could have some anti inflammatory/bacterial/fungal properties but nothing directly related to the actual transplant. 
I personally test scalps before surgery for sebum/ dryness levels etc using specific probes and cameras. If anything suspicious shows up then I might recommend certain treatments for that before or after the transplant. Varies from person to person. 

Great to have your expert input as always Dr Barghouti. 

Perhaps then HRBR reccomended tea tree shampoo for one week to help militate against sebum/dryness etc. I do bear the burden of some skin conditione and HRBR are aware of that. Maybe they believe tea tree shampoo encourages a more healthy scalp in patients like myself, who knows.

I'm intrigued now when you say you test the scalp prior to surgery and you don't operate if anything suspicisous shows. There is a little worry in my mind that maybe my skin/scalp will flare up when I need to have surgery and consequently I'll be sent home with no transplant. That would be such a bummer.

Mind if I ask what would discourage you from proceeding with a transplant?

I did not mean to cause any concern in anyway. It is mainly to optimize your general scalp condition. Having said that, transplants do work well even if you have some dandruff or certain scalp conditions. It is mainly to make sure that the scalp is healthy and clean. I dont see your condition as something that will be of any concern in terms of infections etc so don’t worry. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

No worries. I prefer to hear honest perspectives even if it can cause worry or concern.

There are probably some doctors that don't follow such protocol and its probably always better to be safe than sorry. I'll try to keep my scalp in perfect condition.

Cheers.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:34 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

I did not mean to cause any concern in anyway. It is mainly to optimize your general scalp condition. Having said that, transplants do work well even if you have some dandruff or certain scalp conditions. It is mainly to make sure that the scalp is healthy and clean. I dont see your condition as something that will be of any concern in terms of infections etc so don’t worry. 

What do you think of folliculitis and hair transplant? I always have some folliculitis popping up on my scalp, about 5-10 of them at a time, sometimes they go away sometimes make a comeback. 

6 hours ago, Falconary said:

What do you think of folliculitis and hair transplant? I always have some folliculitis popping up on my scalp, about 5-10 of them at a time, sometimes they go away sometimes make a comeback. 

If it’s something that is sporadic and manageable, then there will be no harm. I usually would often commence some antibiotics with the opinion of a dermatologist before, to keep the popping under control. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram