Donor Scar Healing Time

I am 3 months post-op from a very awesome hair transplant by Dr. Feller. I have searched and read tons of information about the donor scar, but cannot find specific healing times and/or the redness of the scar.

Right now at 3 months, I'm able to shave my head down to #4 and the scar remains hidden. I chanced it last night and shaved down to a #3, however, the scar becomes completely visible.

What should my expectations be over the next year? Doctors always seem to mention #2 guard. Is this the norm or best-case scenario? What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Ron

Hey Pilot Ron,

Congrats on getting your HT down my Dr. Feller. I'm sure it'll turn out well. The healing time for a donor scar seems to vary. I'm fair skinned and have blonde hair, thus my scar is still very red about 3 and a half weeks post op. My scar from the first surgery had redness until about month 8-9. Right now, since I shaved my sides and back down to a #3, I have to use dermmatach to cover up the scars. Some seem to get away with a #2 guard, but that doesn't hold true for everybody. The lowest I could probably go without concealer would be a #5. But again, I have light hair and light skin.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Generally speaking if your considering strip you need to be ok with keeping your hair at 1cm in length. A 3-4 guard buzz after a strip session is right in line with good clinics, with some patients able to get to a #2 in some cases.

Your scar will continue to heal up and progressively get less noticeable in the next 3-4 months--- at 7-8months you can generally get a read on the width, but the scar will generally fade over time.

Another thing to do is to go to a good barber and have them fade your cut right up to the scar say a 2 guard to a 3 guard, then a 4 guard right at the scar itself. Might provide a nice look.

Also, if you get some Dermatch if you buzz to a #3 with a little scar showing you can a bit into the showing areas and be fine there as well.

Hope this helps!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Aaron/Jason,

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. It's a relief to know that I have many more months of scar healing before I can really grasp the visibility factor.

My hair is thick and dark brown, so I suppose this helps some? I also read about shock loss in the donor area, however, it is very difficult to determine if that is the case.

If I shave down to #3 right now, I must use concealer. But with concealer, the scar is undetectable. I hope that one day I'll be able to simply shave with a #3 without any concealer at all.

If I happen to be fortunate enough to be able to shave to #2, I will consider myself lucky.

Any more stories/experience with the donor scar, redness, and shave guard settings are welcome.

Thanks,

Ron

• 3 years later...

Not to many threads about scar healing/time.....

I'm almost two months in on my 3rd HT. After each of my HTs I was able to "grasp the visibility factor" at around the 7th/8th month. Takes a little longer than the actual transplanted hairs. About a year from now ill be getting a FUE into the scar.

I am 3 months post-op from a very awesome hair transplant by Dr. Feller. I have searched and read tons of information about the donor scar, but cannot find specific healing times and/or the redness of the scar.

Right now at 3 months, I'm able to shave my head down to #4 and the scar remains hidden. I chanced it last night and shaved down to a #3, however, the scar becomes completely visible.

What should my expectations be over the next year? Doctors always seem to mention #2 guard. Is this the norm or best-case scenario? What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Ron

Shaving down to a guard 2 with FUT is not the norm at all. The general consensus is shaving down to a guard 3 providing the scar does not stretch. I have only seen two examples of where the donor was shaved to a guard 2 and the FUT scar was still well hidden.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

How is the pain/soreness at this point? I heard around the 3 month mark its ok to get back into heavy physical activity (gym, weight lifting, etc) and wanted to see how you felt....

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

Guard 2 is a best case scenario.

Nobody knows how the donor scar will heal or possibly stretch.

The doctor will just keep telling you to wait till about 12 months to 18 months for final result.

guard 2 is exceptional case scenario and actually very rare to pull off undetected. ive only seen 2 cases at best that allowed it. guard 3 is best case scenario. guard 2 is rarer than hen's teeth.

"guard 2 is rarer than hen's teeth."

Agreed. Guard 2 is the sales pitch. Guard 3 or 4 is the reality.

indeed :) pencil thin and 1mm are also hyperbole and fallacy...