FUT or FUE

Hi guys,

I'm planning a HT soon and doing as much research as possible. Most HT doctors reccomend FUE but of course some also give the option of FUT. I'd like to know if anyone here has experience with FUT, and, is the scar with FUT very disruptive?

I find FUT intriguing because the graft yield is actually higher and the transection rate is lower. My main concern with it though is the scarring. I cut my hair around the back and sides to a 1 and it would be nice to avoid an obvious scar if possible. There is a misconception that FUE leaves no scar but this is untrue, it leaves little dotted scars that are just a little less obvious, in fact, Anastaskis in Greece tells his patients that FUE scars can be seen if the hair is cut tight (he is an honest guy). So yeah, the main issue for me revolves around obvious scarring hence why I'd love to know if a good FUT procedure leaves a very minimal scar and provides the opportunity to cut your hair short in the future?

Thanks!

• Administrators

What’s your level of hair loss, for me the scar was a dealbreaker, but I would have way more hair had I gone FUT first. It’s a fact. If you want to maximize your grafts, go FUT first.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My level of hairloss is like an NW2/NW3, I'm not sure precisely which one. I've been told about 2,400 grafts would be fairly perfect for me, some estimate a little less and some estimate a little more.

A scar would be shitty but some doctors are very good with their stitching so they can make a thin scar. If I can cut my hair to a #1 on the back and sides I'll start considering FUT instead of FUE. As you said (its interesting) FUT gives more grafts and yet more people are not aware of this, this aspect of it arouses me.

The two things that deter me fron FUT are the possibility of a terrible scaf and some online material that suggests FUE is better for hairline work because single-hair follicles can be cherry picked, which is more conducive to a good hairline. I'm only getting the hairline done (mostly temples), the crown does not need to be touched.

• Administrators

There is no way you would ever be able to cut your hair to a #1 after an FUT, even the best scars will be visible.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

24 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

And it makes me sad when I see that FUE only yields 75% of the transplanted grafts. I am sure FUE would be great for me but I am still sad because it is not 100% perfect. I am greedy like this lol.

FUE yield is nowhere near 75%. It's pretty much the same as FUT. You need to do a lot more research.

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

There is no way you would ever be able to cut your hair to a #1 after an FUT, even the best scars will be visible.

Melvin is correct - so basically your decision will be based on your preferred hairstyle for the remainder of your life.  Obviously, if you like a #1 cut on the back and sides then FUT is not for you.  The short baller style is all the rage and has been for a while so FUE is your best choice.  

• Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, voxman said:

Melvin is correct - so basically your decision will be based on your preferred hairstyle for the remainder of your life.  Obviously, if you like a #1 cut on the back and sides then FUT is not for you.  The short baller style is all the rage and has been for a while so FUE is your best choice.  

Great point, I mean will I be cutting my hair to a #1 when I’m old and 60 I kid i kid 😝but in all seriousness it is true, think longterm.

• Like 1

View my thread

Ok guys thanks a lot for your knowledge and input.

Hmm decisions decisions. Now it all boils down to picking the right surgeon. My warmest feeling right now is for Dr Anastasakis in Greece. He seems to be the real deal and he performs non-shaven FUE.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Ok guys thanks a lot for your knowledge and input.

Hmm decisions decisions. Now it all boils down to picking the right surgeon. My warmest feeling right now is for Dr Anastasakis in Greece. He seems to be the real deal and he performs non-shaven FUE.

I’m not familiar with his work, but wish you the best in your research. Use our surgeon reviews section as a resource. 

View my thread