Will 1,000 grafts make a difference in my crown? (photo)

• jc636 changed the title to Will 1,000 grafts make a difference in my crown? (photo)

1000 would help and give you adequate density. Maybe 1500 would be better? It’s important not to get to carried away. The crown is know for being the black hole of grafts. We need to keep a lot of grafts in reserve for the rest of our head 😃

• Administrators

Will it make a difference? Yes, is it enough to look like you’re not balding? No. What are your expectations?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Will it make a difference? Yes, is it enough to look like you’re not balding? No. What are your expectations?

My goal is to look like I’m not balding 

Edited by jc636

I would guesstimate that 1k is nowhere near enough and you would need 2k, or potentially even more. Looks like pretty significant crown loss. As someone said above and is a super common phrase, the crown is indeed known as a black hole for grafts. Also crown loss often times is worse than what the picture shows. 

Looks like you do still have some hair there, you aren't completely bald. This could ironically be a bit of a hindrance. IMO some doctors are hesitant to do work on the crown for fear of shock loss and permanently destroying hair that remains there. I'm sure you can find a doctor regardless tho. With enough convincing and being aggressive enough, every doctor will bow down to the almighty dollar. 

Curious if you have tried using Toppik or another concealer? Your loss seems to extensive for concealer to blend in well, but you never know. 

Rogaine and Finasteride/Dutasteride allegedly work much better on the crown than the hairline, but I have been using both on my crown for years and nothing has come of it. IMO Rogaine is a total scam, idk anyone it legit works for. 

30 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

I would guesstimate that 1k is nowhere near enough and you would need 2k, or potentially even more. Looks like pretty significant crown loss. As someone said above and is a super common phrase, the crown is indeed known as a black hole for grafts. Also crown loss often times is worse than what the picture shows. 

Looks like you do still have some hair there, you aren't completely bald. This could ironically be a bit of a hindrance. IMO some doctors are hesitant to do work on the crown for fear of shock loss and permanently destroying hair that remains there. I'm sure you can find a doctor regardless tho. With enough convincing and being aggressive enough, every doctor will bow down to the almighty dollar. 

Curious if you have tried using Toppik or another concealer? Your loss seems to extensive for concealer to blend in well, but you never know. 

Rogaine and Finasteride/Dutasteride allegedly work much better on the crown than the hairline, but I have been using both on my crown for years and nothing has come of it. IMO Rogaine is a total scam, idk anyone it legit works for. 

I use dermmatch. After applying it to the crown the untrained eye can’t tell there’s any loss. There’s a thin layer of vellous hair that the camera doesn’t show well The dermmatch makes these hairs thicker.

I’ve used been using dermmatch for 5 years and no one has any clue I have hair loss of any kind. That is why I want a transplant. It would be nice to get out of the shower and not have to do anything to my hair.

Edited by jc636

I think the number of grafts depends on whether you get FUT or FUE.  With FUE the surgeon can cherrypick the strongest multi-haired grafts, thus giving you more density than FUT would with the same amount of grafts.  Are you on Fin?  Because a HT in that area might cause temporary and/or permanent shock loss to the weakened native hairs in the area, offsetting some of the benefit you might get from the HT.  Fin would help prevent this.  Either way, I think around 1,500-2,000 would be in the right ballpark.  The dermmatch is working well for you!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group