Dutasteride

Hi guys, Has anybody ever gotten a prescription for dutasteride of Dr Maurice Collins from hrbr in Dublin. I sent an email asking would it would be possible to get a prescription and his assistant offered me to pay €150 for a consultation when I have already been on many with him. I just wanted the question answered. I am willing to pay for consultation but I don't want to pay that amount just to be told that it cannot be prescribed. A lot of doctors are reluctant to prescribe this as it dosen show symptoms of prostate cancer. So I worried about paying for nothing.

Thank you for your help.

• Administrators

I’m not sure what the specifications are in Ireland, but in the US you can get it filled online through keeps or hims.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You can also discuss this with your primary care physician...just be sure to explain that you want to take the medication for hair loss and as long as they document your chart to this effect, it may be okay to get your script this way.

My PCP supplies my finasteride scripts for me and made the proper notes in my chart, and especially for when it's time for testing the prostrate in the future.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you for the help guys.  Unfortunately my family doctor does not to prescribe me this over the concerns about prostate symptoms.

Melvin would I be able to get dutasteride medication transported to Ireland? I remember some guy in ireland had been stopped with medication in customs.  

Nor sure how old you are but most PCPs will have their male patients undergo routine PSA tests around age 30 or so...this would show any elevations.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm also interested in Dutasteride since Finasteride seems like it would take a while to begin showing results in prevention of hair loss (in particular shock loss after FUE).  what would you say is a good dose to begin with (topical) for someone who is new to Dutasteride and just had an FUE?

Listen guys, none of us are licensed physicians here and I cannot stress enough the importance of discussing this issue with a doctor beforehand and then securing the appropriate prescriptions.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Dutasteride is a heavy hitter...works on 2 isoforms of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase so it is more effective than finasteride. Consequently, the chances of side effects are greater than finasteride. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Dutasteride is a heavy hitter...works on 2 isoforms of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase so it is more effective than finasteride. Consequently, the chances of side effects are greater than finasteride. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6388756/

Conclusion

Dutasteride seems to provide a better efficacy compared with finasteride in treating AGA. The two drugs appear to show similar rates of adverse reactions, especially in sexual dysfunction.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, nicoandgello said:

Conclusion

Dutasteride seems to provide a better efficacy compared with finasteride in treating AGA. The two drugs appear to show similar rates of adverse reactions, especially in sexual dysfunction.

If you don’t get sides from fin you’re probably good on dut. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

53 minutes ago, nicoandgello said:

Conclusion

Thanks for sharing. There are other studies (including meta-analysis) showing dutasteride has a higher rate of side effects than finasteride, which makes sense since there's less circulating DHT with dutasteride versus finasteride. The question is basically is this higher rate of side effects STATISTICALLY significant.

https://escholarship.org/content/qt24k8q743/qt24k8q743_noSplash_a1e8afffb231f05b00ab34aa7352f16a.pdf

https://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/html/10.2340/00015555-3035

https://www.urologytimes.com/view/finasteride-had-fewer-sexual-side-effects-compared-dutasteride-men-bph

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Thanks for sharing. There are other studies (including meta-analysis) showing dutasteride has a higher rate of side effects than finasteride, which makes sense since there's less circulating DHT with dutasteride versus finasteride. The question is basically is this higher rate of side effects STATISTICALLY significant.

https://escholarship.org/content/qt24k8q743/qt24k8q743_noSplash_a1e8afffb231f05b00ab34aa7352f16a.pdf

https://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/html/10.2340/00015555-3035

https://www.urologytimes.com/view/finasteride-had-fewer-sexual-side-effects-compared-dutasteride-men-bph

I agree with you doctor. My own speculation is that dutasteride has a little worse side effect profile not because of DHT, but higher estrogen levels caused by it.

• Like 1

Just now, nicoandgello said:

I agree with you doctor. My own speculation is that dutasteride has a little worse side effect profile not because of DHT, but higher estrogen levels caused by it.

Interesting thought. Do you have a background in the biomedical sciences? Your posts are very well informed. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Interesting thought. Do you have a background in the biomedical sciences? Your posts are very well informed. 

Haha, not at all. For me its just a wild guess. Its always hard to justify opinion when it comes to Androgenic Alopecia just because smart people in the world have yet to do comprehensive studies on it. As of know, we still dont even know how much effect testosterone has on our hair, but by many anecdotal evidences we can say that it is in fact harmful in above average range. DHT has little effect on male bodies after puberty especially when it comes to sexual sides.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Very true...I know a number of guys who did not experience efficiency with finasteride, switched to DUT and then could not take it because of the side-effects.

• Like 1

Gillenator