Should I consider surgeons outside NYC?

Hello everyone. I have been browsing this forum obsessively for a while. I feel I have benefited a lot from the awesome info here. Thank you!

I have been considering a hair transplant (leaning toward FUT but open to FUE). I am 30 year old,  NW3, based in NYC. I have met with Wesley, Bernstein, and Bloxham. They all recommend 2000-2800 grafts (FUT or FUE by Wesley and Bernstein, FUT only by Bloxham). 

I am still deciding between the three of them but just realized that there is really no need to restrict myself to NYC. Let's say I don't care about cost and am willing to travel anywhere in the world. Anyone you would recommend over the best clinics in NYC? Or am I only going to get marginal benefit by looking outside NYC? 

Thank you!

I’m in almost same exact situation as you, decided to go with True and Dorin. I think it’s nice to not have to leave the city for follow up visits, or for second surgery, etc.

The other thing that struck me was speaking to patients that told me they traveled here from elsewhere to go to T&D or surgeons you mentioned.

It seemed to me that there aren’t that many surgeons that do “mega sessions” (3000 graft+ in one session) in NYC. Also, as I’m sure you know, surgeons here charge consultation fess.  

If I could go *anywhere*, the other option I was strongly considering was Hasson and Wong, but with the borders closed right now, staying local just made sense (also we don’t have tax on cosmetic procedures - I think they do in Canada, I could be wrong).

Edited by Concord75

A common trope on the forum is don't let location be the determining factor in selecting your HT surgeon.  I agree with that 100%.  However, you've already had three in-person consults with reputable docs in NYC, so if you really clicked with one of them then go for it!  If you're still not sure, get more consults with elites like Shapiro, Konior, H&W, etc.  Like @Concord75 said, check out True & Dorin as well.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I came from UK to New York - you're lucky to have so many great options

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

Never let your location be the deciding factor, there’s great surgeons in NYC no doubt, but there’s nothing wrong with expanding your horizons.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Unlike some poor fellow I know in Montana, you have the luxury of top notch elite HT Surgeons down the street from you.  It's your decision, but you're off to a great start already with those 3.     

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.