Storing meds during hot weather

Hello, 

I live in a house with no AC and I'm concerned about my meds and their efficiency during hot weather and after a heat wave.

I just bought new minoxidil and refilled my fin prescription last weekend and I just learned another heatwave is starting on Saturday here in Los Angeles.

How likely is it that meds for treating hairloss lose their efficiency because of the hot weather? 

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I live in LA too, it’s gonna be miserable this weekend. How do you live with no AC? That’s insane. Put them in the closet, it’s usually cooler there.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, voxman said:

It's gonna be even worse Inland where I am (Riverside), but hey, I've got a pool - c'mon out guys!

pool for movie.jpg

Looks perfect for having a bbq 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Place them in a cool place...not sure if you've got a basement but basements are usually cooler. Also, I'm assuming your minoxidil is in foam form and the contents are under pressure. It's dangerous to have that around high heat....it's essentially a projectile. See this:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/explosively-hot-aerosol-cans-and-high-heat-dont-mix 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Place them in a cool place...not sure if you've got a basement but basements are usually cooler. Also, I'm assuming your minoxidil is in foam form and the contents are under pressure. It's dangerous to have that around high heat....it's essentially a projectile. See this:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/explosively-hot-aerosol-cans-and-high-heat-dont-mix 

They don’t build basements in California lol. 

View my thread

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

They don’t build basements in California lol. 

Lol why is that? I've heard homes in Florida don't have basements either 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Lol why is that? I've heard homes in Florida don't have basements either 

A lot of reasons. The ground doesn't freeze so there is no need to encapsulate the pipes, And one of the other reasons is because of the height of the water table under it. If the water table level is higher, as in Florida for example, basements can be all the time flooded   

• Thanks 2

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, voxman said:

A lot of reasons. The ground doesn't freeze so there is no need to encapsulate the pipes, And one of the other reasons is because of the height of the water table under it. If the water table level is higher, as in Florida for example, basements can be all the time flooded   

I never knew that, good information 👍🏼

View my thread

14 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Nice yard! That’s riverside? Looks more like Joshua tree :)

I am actually at the very east end of Moreno Valley by the Badlands - and that is desert all the way to the border.  I love it.

3 hours ago, voxman said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info 

Additionally, the granite sub strata so prevalent in CA makes digging a very expensive proposition, as well as the anchoring needed to Earthquake proof a home. 

5 minutes ago, elduterino said:

I always stored all my meds in the fridge - steady, low temp cannot hurt drug molecules. Still have my native hair so it must be ok

I was thinking of doing this....but the suggested temp for Fin is room temp. I may try this.

2 hours ago, Lakershead22 said:

I was thinking of doing this....but the suggested temp for Fin is room temp. I may try this.

I’d follow what the label says (they did develop the drug after all), not what a random forum bro tells you

Edited by LonelyGraft

5 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

I’d follow what the label says (they did develop the drug after all), not what a random forum bro tells you

What would  be the point of going on forums to ask advice from other members, just be told "read the package"..I'm pretty sure he is aware of this option.

And yes, I also did store my Flutagel, - which was the topical flutamide in a gel, to reduce systemic absorption - in the fridge back then as well, around 2008 .and  it did work for hair , but gave me strong sexual side effects after a while, which I also documented on the forums. We have better options now. 

Edited by elduterino

2 hours ago, elduterino said:

What would  be the point of going on forums to ask advice from other members, just be told "read the package"..I'm pretty sure he is aware of this option.

And yes, I also did store my Flutagel, - which was the topical flutamide in a gel, to reduce systemic absorption - in the fridge back then as well, around 2008 .and  it did work for hair , but gave me strong sexual side effects after a while, which I also documented on the forums. We have better options now. 

Maybe knocking some sense into him so he can be cautious and not risk it?

what proof do u have that storing fin or min in the fridge is ok? I trust the manufacturer over your anecdotal evidence

The manufacturer wants to make money selling drugs, they often rely on expiry dates for that. Therefore drug manufacturer will never advise on the best way to store drugs, only the acceptable and convenient way to store until the expiry date

Research drugs sold as raw powder , are often frozen at -20c at the manufacturing site and can be effective for years. I stored my RU, airtight , in the freezer for 5 years and the powder still worked fine.

I stored all my meds, mostly in the fridge since 1998 without issues in terms of effectiveness, but I live in a hot and humid climate for half of the year. Depends where you live.

Storage of drugs also depends on humidity, that's why it says room-temp and dry, because moisture will pass through plastics

The more expensive meds. are stored in glass containers with aluminum caps

https://repair.geappliances.com/resources/faq/what-is-the-average-humidity-level-in-a-refrigerator

• Relative humidity: Humidity is actually a measurement of how much moisture is in the atmosphere compared to how much moisture there could possibly be at that temperature. For example, 50% humidity at 35° F is actually a lot less moisture than 50% humidity at 70° F because warm air has the potential to hold much more moisture. The humidity levels in your fridge are always proportionate to the interior temperature, which fluctuates several degrees over the course of a day.
Edited by elduterino

7 hours ago, elduterino said:

The manufacturer wants to make money selling drugs, they often rely on expiry dates for that. Therefore drug manufacturer will never advise on the best way to store drugs, only the acceptable and convenient way to store until the expiry date

Research drugs sold as raw powder , are often frozen at -20c at the manufacturing site and can be effective for years. I stored my RU, airtight , in the freezer for 5 years and the powder still worked fine.

I stored all my meds, mostly in the fridge since 1998 without issues in terms of effectiveness, but I live in a hot and humid climate for half of the year. Depends where you live.

Storage of drugs also depends on humidity, that's why it says room-temp and dry, because moisture will pass through plastics

https://repair.geappliances.com/resources/faq/what-is-the-average-humidity-level-in-a-refrigerator

• Relative humidity: Humidity is actually a measurement of how much moisture is in the atmosphere compared to how much moisture there could possibly be at that temperature. For example, 50% humidity at 35° F is actually a lot less moisture than 50% humidity at 70° F because warm air has the potential to hold much more moisture. The humidity levels in your fridge are always proportionate to the interior temperature, which fluctuates several degrees over the course of a day.

C5972504-88B1-4A8F-B5A4-5812BB9B2195.jpeg

7 hours ago, elduterino said:

Exactly, you’re purchasing straight up raw powder “research chemicals.” These pills the op is taking have fillers with organic properties that you and I both don’t know much about or how they degrade in various temperatures and settings. Rogaine foam also has lots of components in the vehicle. You Def don’t have a degree in chemistry or pharmacology so I dunno y ur sitting here giving advice on med storage like u know better than the drug companies

Rogaine foam, rogaine liquid, genuine merck propecia pills, proscar pills cut in 4, dutasteride capsules.. all of these I stored in the fridge over the years since I started meds in 1998 and those worked fine over extended periods. Nothing is going degrades faster than room temp if its below 25c and above 2c, it may be overkill or unnecessary at most, but its not going to make meds loose potency if stored in the fridge. There is zero science behind meds loosing potency if stored too cool, in a dry stable temp environment above freezing temperature.