By what age does balding stop?

People will carry on balding through to old age. Yes it may slow in your 50s/60s but unfortunately it will continue. Of course it depends on the individual.

My dad was 90+ with a full head of hair and not even any recession! For me no such luck. 

It greatly depends on individual, but my wild guess would be... 104? :D 

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

Over the years I had met with a number of men who just started to lose their hair in their 50s, and it was especially occurring in their crowns.

What I have observed was not age related but more when the individual reaches their genetic based ultimate Norwood class.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

What's interesting is that we're all aware of men (online) who are relatively young, say under 30, who go to a hair mill have what they perceive as a nice restoration of the frontal hair line.

However, with their donor area depleted and as they go into their 30s, 40s, 50s, they are presumably going to continue to have a nice frontal hair line but as their balding continues through life, are they not going to look somewhat odd with a lovely thick front hairline but bald crown and retograde balding through the depleted donor area?

Edited by Mike_2020
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike_2020 said:

What's interesting is that we're all aware of men (online) who are relatively young, say under 30, who go to a hair mill have what they perceive as a nice restoration of the frontal hair line.

However, with their donor area depleted and as they go into their 30s, 40s, 50s, they are presumably going to continue to have a nice frontal hair line but as their balding continues through life, are they not going to look somewhat odd with a lovely thick front hairline but bald crown and retograde balding through the depleted donor area?

This is unfortunately the biggest problem I see with today's HT. Even if it's done properly, some clinics are unethical and will give max density possible without taking into account future hair loss.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

All too often the young men want and even at times demand an overly dense-packed hairline and frontal zone without considering progressive loss in their 30s, 40s, etc.

And all too often the surgeon will do it because they don't want to lose the income and just give the patient what they insist.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 8/30/2020 at 1:58 AM, Mike_2020 said:

If a man does not take any medication (e.g. finasteride) to prevent hair loss, but what age does balding generally stop?

Has it generally ceased by their 40s, 50s, 60s?

With or without the medication, baldness never stops fully. The speed of pregression gradually tapers off with age. Medication can prolong baldness. It doesn't completely stop it. Androgenetic alopecia has to be effectively managed with proper medications.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

Yep, AA is a lifelong journey.

Gillenator