2 questions on grafts

Hi everyone

I have two questions about grafts please:

1. When they say 'a graft', do we mean one hair? So is 1 graft = 1 individual hair?

2. Would it be preferable for a surgeon to extract more or fewer grafts? Does extracting more grafts mean better coverage?

Many thanks!

34 minutes ago, firsttime said:

Hi everyone

1. When they say 'a graft', do we mean one hair? So is 1 graft = 1 individual hair?

2. Would it be preferable for a surgeon to extract more or fewer grafts? Does extracting more grafts mean better coverage?

Many thanks!

1. 1 graft can contain 1-5 hairs. It can be 1 hair grafts or 5 hair graft. It all depends on your donor characteristics. For example scalp donor average hair per graft is 2.2. Any body hair for example have usually 1 hair per graft. The more hair per graft, the better density you will achieve.
Also density highly depends on thickness of your hair.

2. Good surgeon should analyze your donor and choose the most suitable grafts for your HT. For example hairline should have 1 hair grafts to create naturalness. Behind the hairline it can be everything else to create density. In FUE surgeon is able to "cherry pick" grafts and can extract 3's and 4's if he needs to, but then your donor density could be compromised. In the end great result requires great artistry and donor management from a surgeon, so you will be left with good donor and good top.

• Like 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Administrators

A graft is a piece of hair-bearing tissue, which can contain 1,2,3,4, or even 5 hairs per unit.

Generally, more grafts=more coverage, but more isn’t always better. It really depends on a lot of factors. Have you consulted with any surgeons? Below is our list of recommendations, feel free to browse, and if a surgeon impresses you, send them a virtual consultation.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, firsttime said:

Hi everyone

Many thanks!

1. A graft is a follicular unit comprising of 1 to 6 follicles (hair strands).

2. Coverage depends on the artistic creation of density, intelligent placement of the grafts depending on their calibre and follicle count, head size and proper planning. Extracting more grafts has nothing to do with a good coverage. Hair transplant is creating an illusion, not getting the actual count of hair.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ