Diameter of Punch?

Okay, so it wouldn't necessarily be necessary to insist that a doc only uses a 0.7 mm punch for the entire procedure? As far as I'm aware this is the smallest which is commonly used.

• Administrators

Every punch causes scars, if you can’t accept scars, don’t get surgery. You should insist the surgeon use what ever tools give you the best results. In the end, using a small punch is worthless if you get mo growth.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Decent clinics don’t need telling which size punch to use from there patients. Choose someone reputable and let them do what they do best! 
Facts are FUT has a scar but FUE will leave teeny tiny scars too. It all depends on how short you wear your hair. A decent FUT scar is thin and quite undetectable. 
FUE done well is also quite undetectable even when a larger punch is used. Unless your buzzing really close. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike_2020 said:

Presumably the smaller the diameter of punch used during FUE, the less visible scarring will be afterwards?

It is true that fine and sharp punches cause miniature scars in comparison to the situation where thicker and bigger punches are used. However, needless to say, there will be microscopic scars. Plus the collective absence of hair from the donor region where they have been extracted from will be slightly visible if you keep extremely short hair.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Moderators

You can't simply go for the smallest punch size. If you go too small for certain hair types and flesh types then you won't get good, viable grafts and the grafts that they end up transplanting may not grow. If you have root ends that curve or if you have a mushier surrounding flesh or if the hair shafts are very thin and fine then you may need a larger punch size.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.