Should people with a bad family history get transplants?

I've been wondering this a lot lately.

We all know that in the case of a NW 6-7, there really isn't enough hair on the head to facilitate a transplant.

If someone is hypothetically a NW 3-4, but their family has an extensive history of really high Norwoods, do the members here think it's advisable to have a HT?

My thinking is this: if someone is likely to end up at that level, then a transplant is only a temporary fix, and they will (more likely) end up with not enough hair to facilitate more procedures.

Or, they will end up having to shave, only with the additional scars from FUE/FUT (FUE is not scarless, so no need to comment on whether it is or isn't).

I know medication can help, but I have spoken with people in which Finasteride simply isn't strong enough to stop their hairloss progressing.

Eager to hear everyone's thoughts. It's a tough topic, but something a lot of us just don't think about. I know myself I CHOSE not to think about it, as it stressed me a lot.

Cheers!

6 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

We all know that in the case of a NW 6-7, there really isn't enough hair on the head to facilitate a transplant.

If someone is hypothetically a NW 3-4, but their family has an extensive history of really high Norwoods, do the members here think it's advisable to have a HT?

My thinking is this: if someone is likely to end up at that level, then a transplant is only a temporary fix, and they will (more likely) end up with not enough hair to facilitate more procedures.

Or, they will end up having to shave, only with the additional scars from FUE/FUT (FUE is not scarless, so no need to comment on whether it is or isn't).

I know medication can help, but I have spoken with people in which Finasteride simply isn't strong enough to stop their hairloss progressing.

Eager to hear everyone's thoughts. It's a tough topic, but something a lot of us just don't think about. I know myself I CHOSE not to think about it, as it stressed me a lot.

Cheers!

See if you struck with hairloss you will eventually go bald in few years.. hair transplant is considered by young people who deep inside know that they will go bald over time... but 20 to 30 is not the age to bald so any nw3 would get one with the support of medicine could retain that youthful look n spend his young age focusing on other things like work career, dating, marriage, n etc.... once a particular age is passed hair doesn't matter , although with hair transplant you could retain hair on your scalp with a bit of baldness..

8 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Cheers!

The cases where patients do not have a family history of baldness are few. Plus baldness is unpredictable and can skip generations also.

Finasteride can stop baldness from progressing. But this medication is a choice. If one wants to take it then it is good. However, if one doesn't for any reason then the progression baldness is inevitable. 

If you are okay with not taking finasteride, losing more hair in the future and then going in for more transplants then you can go for a transplant.

If you are not planning on going in for more transplants, not taking finasteride, in the future then you shouldn't go for one now.

If you are planning to take finasteride and then go for transplant then you can go for a transplant now. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

It depends on the person, if your expectations are to look like you’re not balding at all, then yes a hair transplant is not worth it. You will undoubtably be disappointed in time. However, many like myself are satisfied with having a good hairline and midscalp with a thin crown. Not everyone is okay with this, so it comes down to expectations.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 hours ago, Yake said:

See if you struck with hairloss you will eventually go bald in few years.. hair transplant is considered by young people who deep inside know that they will go bald over time... but 20 to 30 is not the age to bald so any nw3 would get one with the support of medicine could retain that youthful look n spend his young age focusing on other things like work career, dating, marriage, n etc.... once a particular age is passed hair doesn't matter , although with hair transplant you could retain hair on your scalp with a bit of baldness..

Totally disagree ... if hair loss matters to you at any age, it will matter to you at any age.