Planning for a hair transplant

I am planning for a hair transplant in next 3-4 months and I am from India, so probably will opt for Dr Bhatti or Eugenix clinic.
I have been losing hairs for more than 12 years now and not on any kind of medication. I keep my hairs very short but it did not help in slowing down the hair loss process.
Finally I have decided that this is the right time to get a hair transplant. I have been following this forum for a while now and seeing the transformations of most of you guys have encouraged me to go for a HT.

I took these pics yesterday, what do you guys think of my current condition and how much graft would I need to have a decent coverage?

IMG_20200426_142053.jpg

IMG_20200426_132706.jpg

IMG_20200426_124144.jpg

IMG_20200426_132806.jpg

Edited by faiz0210

Hi,

I would recommend in the region of 3500 grafts (maybe an additional 500 beard grafts) to rebuild your hairline at its current level and strengthen your frontal third. You could do with a scattering of maybe 1000 or so grafts to help with some coverage in your crown/vertex area.

You do have a lot of what appears to be minitiarising hairs on top of your scalp which could recover through the use of meds (Finasteride, Monoxidil, Nizoral). This is an option for you and then to wait 6-9 months growing your hair out a little more and then reassessing your options.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shera said:

Hi,

I would recommend in the region of 3500 grafts (maybe an additional 500 beard grafts) to rebuild your hairline at its current level and strengthen your frontal third. You could do with a scattering of maybe 1000 or so grafts to help with some coverage in your crown/vertex area.

You do have a lot of what appears to be minitiarising hairs on top of your scalp which could recover through the use of meds (Finasteride, Monoxidil, Nizoral). This is an option for you and then to wait 6-9 months growing your hair out a little more and then reassessing your options.

Thank you for your reply.

Just a bit confused here, so are you saying that I can start on the meds now and see the result in 6-9 months and then decide on the extent of transplant?

1 hour ago, faiz0210 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Just a bit confused here, so are you saying that I can start on the meds now and see the result in 6-9 months and then decide on the extent of transplant?

Yes, you have the option of starting on the meds now and see how you progress over the coming months. I have seen Finasteride make a considerable difference in Indians after only 3 months otherwise it can take up to 6 months to kick in.

Research and be aware of possible side effects of Finasteride in particular.

You may be pleasantly surprised after 6-9 months.

• Like 1

I think Shera gave some great advice. Personally, I would split it into two surgeries. About 3500 for the frontal third for round 1. Then 1500-2000 for the crown during second pass. Of course your donor would need to be analyzed. The advice to try meds is also very good as you want to stabilize your loss and thicken areas that can potentially respond to treatment so you use less of your donor.

• Like 1

Dr Bhatti has been posting a lot of informative videos on hair loss these days, one of which says, not to opt for finasteride before a hair transplant.
I may have interpreted it wrong, but would love to have more clarity on this. 

No, you haven't interpreted it wrong.

My advice to you was to go down the medical route and see if that works. You may end up with an improvement that you are so happy with that you may even shelve the idea of a hair transplant for the foreseeable future or you may opt to go for a smaller surgery if you are  happy to take the meds long term to sustain any improvements.

The important thing is to distinguish between your natural state and your medically improved state.

If you was to go for surgery then Dr Bhatti would advise you to temporary stop the meds a few months prior to surgery so when the surgery comes he has a more naturally precise scalp to work on as explained in the video.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Edited by Shera

• Administrators

How old are you? You have some great names, as both are well liked on the forum. While the world is on lockdown, take this time to set up virtual consultations with both clinics. They will be more than happy to answer your questions via skype or whatsapp, that would be the best option. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/India/Tejinder-Bhatti/675

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/India/Arika-Bansal/688

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/India/Pradeep-Sethi/687

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

48 minutes ago, Shera said:

No, you haven't interpreted it wrong.

My advice to you was to go down the medical route and see if that works. You may end up with an improvement that you are so happy with that you may even shelve the idea of a hair transplant for the foreseeable future or you may opt to go for a smaller surgery if you are  happy to take the meds long term to sustain any improvements.

The important thing is to distinguish between your natural state and your medically improved state.

If you was to go for surgery then Dr Bhatti would advise you to temporary stop the meds a few months prior to surgery so when the surgery comes he has a more naturally precise scalp to work on as explained in the video.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Thank you for further clarifying things for me. The thought of not having to go for a surgery is wonderful one, never thought this could also be an option for me. I'll discuss all these points with Dr Bhatti and see what he thinks would be best for me.

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How old are you? You have some great names, as both are well liked on the forum. While the world is on lockdown, take this time to set up virtual consultations with both clinics. They will be more than happy to answer your questions via skype or whatsapp, that would be the best option. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/India/Tejinder-Bhatti/675

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/India/Arika-Bansal/688

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/India/Pradeep-Sethi/687

Hi Melvin,
I am almost 32 now and yes I have already submitted consultation through the link to all the three Doctors.
Discussion is ongoing with Dr Bhatti over email, the timeline I gave him is next 3-4 months for the hair transplant, to which he replied not to opt for any medications. He suggested I'll need around 3500 available scalp grafts and additionally, 1200 body grafts from beard and chest. Although I am not very comfortable with beard and chest graft but let's see how the discussion pans out.

I am yet to get a reply from Dr Arika Bansal and Dr Pradeep Sethi.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, faiz0210 said:

Thank you for further clarifying things for me. The thought of not having to go for a surgery is wonderful one, never thought this could also be an option for me. I'll discuss all these points with Dr Bhatti and see what he thinks would be best for me.

Hi Melvin,
I am almost 32 now and yes I have already submitted consultation through the link to all the three Doctors.
Discussion is ongoing with Dr Bhatti over email, the timeline I gave him is next 3-4 months for the hair transplant, to which he replied not to opt for any medications. He suggested I'll need around 3500 available scalp grafts and additionally, 1200 body grafts from beard and chest. Although I am not very comfortable with beard and chest graft but let's see how the discussion pans out.

I am yet to get a reply from Dr Arika Bansal and Dr Pradeep Sethi.

Ok let me make sure everything is working on our end. You should receive a reply soon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.