Massage recipient area?

Hi All,

i am coming to 3 months since my HT. I have a question on massaging, can i massage my recipient area with my fingers? I know its still recovering and slightly sore but it feels good when i massage it gently.

Will it help with recovery?

10-14 days post op, for the sake of being ultra conservative, you can do whatever you want.  No restrictions.  Not sure what you mean by recovery...by that time you've recovered.  Will it help with the "timing" of the grafts? I don't think so.  It is typically at 3-4 months when the grafted hair begins to grow....

It certainly will increase blood flow to the area which is a good thing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi there 

@LaserCap.. Is ón the money.. I've been gently massaging avocado oil all over scalp including recipient since day 14 and I think its helped tremendously.. Including donor.. In fact i had  a massive shed from week 2 losing nearly all of implanted hair so I actually buzzed recipient to a number 1 and continued doing so every week up to a couple of weeks ago...

From week 2 you can pretty much go about your business as if you never had a transplant in the first place.. I know Asmed don't allow a buzz to recipient for 6 months which is way OTT.. 

Good luck with everything 

Z

• 1 year later...

If you’ve undergone FUE, you’re safe to massage your scalp in any way shape or form at that stage. However, if you’ve undergone strip, I wouldn’t massage the scalp too hard. Massaging shampoo or conditioner into the scalp for example is fine however, doing scalp exercises is not advised only three months postop from strip. 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.