(new1month-1sthaircutpics)Socialdrinkers Dr Cooley HT 6/18/04

Robert_

Well, its done! 2,300 graphs in all! I cannot begin to express how relaxed and easy this procedure was for me.

First off, please forgive me for my inevitable leaving anything out of this post tonight, as I have already taken the two Valium that will help me sleep soundly tonight, and Im sure I will be missing something or another.

I will say, though that the hair on the back of my head was extremely short. I had it in a "high-and-tight" hair cut so it was no longer than 3/8" or so. Looking at the stitiches, though, hardly noticeable. I feel very relaxed and only a SLIGHT tight feeling in the donor area. Im sure it will be sore tomorrow, but, I really still cant believe how painless and (dare I say it???) FUN the entire procedure was.

I did an interview on camera beforehand. There is footage of Dr. Cooley mapping out the new hairline and narrating the planned process the entire way. Some more pictures were taken, and I was shown to the room where the magic would happen.

I saw no less than 3 (though there may have been 4) microscopes along the far wall for dissection. The process began with my vitals being read and me taking some anti-biotics and two Valium to soothe me.

I then laid face down on the chair (its just like one of those massage chairs where your face pokes throught the bottom, so its very comfortable). I was then given a shot to further soothe me for the extraction.

Now, Ive read some stories on here about the application of the local anesthesia being painful, and I can see how it could have been, but Dr. Cooley has this really cool technique where he holds some kind of massaging apparatus next to the place its being administered while its being administered. This helped alot. I barely felt a thing. Not one time did I feel anything but a small prick.

The donor area was shaved and I could feel something being spread on the surrounding area to separate the hair so they would have an unabstructed area to work with. Now, for the actually extraction, I apologize in advance because I wont be able to tell you much.

To say the least, I was feeling pretty dang good at that point. I do remember the sound of them working, but as far as what was taking place, it beats me. Im pretty sure Brandy (the technician that was there the entire time...THANKS BRANDY!!!) was telling me what was going on, but who knows what I was thinking about.

The next thing I remember, I was being lightly nudged awake. At any given interbal throughout the day, my comfort was ensured by the entire staff. I noticed that there were no less than three technicians dissecting the graphs under the microscope when I stood up. I really had no idea how tedius this job is. I saw pictures in the album and this job takes some kind of attention to detail!

I was on cloud 9 (but never uncomfortably buzzed, just pleasantly euphoric) and went to the restroom for a quick break. This was the last time I would see my huge forehead the exact same way again.

When I returned to the room, I sat down and was even able to kick off my shoes so I was more comfortable. Let me tell you, this is NO DIFFERENT than kicking back in your recliner at home. A list of movies was presented to me, and since I hadnt seen Monty Python in a while, I opted for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Funny stuff, but I tried my best to refrain from laughing, I certainly wanted to make their job as easy as possible.

I fell asleep after only about 20 minutes into the movie, and awoke during the credits. By this time, it was lunchtime and I was given some Quiznos I had ordered earlier. Awesome stuff.

Back to business. Im given another Valium and given another look at the movie list. I pick a James Bond flick. I'm thinking I got through approximately 3 and a half minutes of this movie before I was out like a light again. It was just so comfortable. I awoke and saw the last ten minutes or so of this.

After that, I was immediately offered the list agian, but I opted to just say "nah". Seemed like a waste of time to keep popping movies in if Im just gonna snooze through them. They turned on the golf tournement, which was nice. Again, I drift off. I dont think it was so much the drugs as it was the fact that I had awaken at 5 a.m. to get to the office by 7:30 and didnt sleep the best the night before I was so anxious.

When I awoke, the radio was playing softly. That was nice too. Dr. Cooley and Brandy assured me to speak up at any time I felt anything remotely discomfortable, so occasionaly if I felt something like a mild pin prick, Id say so and immediately another shot of anesthesia was given.

They both worked so diligently for hours and hours. The longest break I saw either of them take was for no longer than 5 minutes. Even then, one would break, while the other continued to work. Heck, MY bathroom breaks lasted longer than that!

This is just my best memory (they warned that I wouldnt remember much) but I think that I was in the chair until a little after 7 p.m. After all the graphs (2,300! can you say WOW!) were placed, a few photos were taken and I talked to Pat. He congratulated me and asked how I felt. I felt great, couldnt wipe the smile off my face. Me and Dr. Cooley took a picture together and my post care instructions were re-itterated to me. I was given a take home bag with some sterilewater-cleansing solution, a ball cap, some rogaine, some other topical foam, and some Valium to help me sleep soundly for the next couple of days.

There is a likely chance that I wouldnt remember everything that was instructed, so Dr. Cooley gave me his cell phone number to call him tomorrow (how many Dr.'s can you call on a saturday???) so he can go back over it with me.

I once again thanked him, Brandy, and Ailene as profusely as I could and got driven back to Columbia, SC by my roomate. I sit here now, feeling no less than awesome and excited.

Like I said before, I will post pictures tomorrow, and it will give everyone a good look at my new hairling and redness (which is not bad AT ALL). But for right now, its bed time, for socialdrinker. Ill re-read this post in the morning to fill in any blank spots that Ive most assuredly missed and post those pics.

Once again, thanks so much Dr. Cooley, Ailene, Brandy, and the rest of his staff, Pat, this forum and everyone that has given me the tremendous advice and encouragement that made today possible.

*UPDATE 6/19/04*

I awoke this morning feeling refreshed and with even less soreness than from when I went to sleep. I slept on my back. With the help of the Valium, it doesn't appear that I rolled around much, or even any at all. I decided that since I was feeling a bit more level-headed, some pictures were in order. So, without further ado, here they are. Now, remember, these are taken with my phone under a bright bathroom light as to ensure the limited capabilities of the phone will capture the most detail.

My awesome new hairline!!!

Day1front001.jpg

Scar? What scar? Actually, one can upon inspection see the stitches and Ill try to get a better shot tomorrow of them. Keep in mind that the hair on the back of my head is VERY short (about 3/8", a 1/2" is really pushing it)

Day1scar.jpg

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its done! 2,300 graphs in all! I cannot begin to express how relaxed and easy this procedure was for me.

First off, please forgive me for my inevitable leaving anything out of this post tonight, as I have already taken the two Valium that will help me sleep soundly tonight, and Im sure I will be missing something or another.

I will say, though that the hair on the back of my head was extremely short. I had it in a "high-and-tight" hair cut so it was no longer than 3/8" or so. Looking at the stitiches, though, hardly noticeable. I feel very relaxed and only a SLIGHT tight feeling in the donor area. Im sure it will be sore tomorrow, but, I really still cant believe how painless and (dare I say it???) FUN the entire procedure was.

I did an interview on camera beforehand. There is footage of Dr. Cooley mapping out the new hairline and narrating the planned process the entire way. Some more pictures were taken, and I was shown to the room where the magic would happen.

I saw no less than 3 (though there may have been 4) microscopes along the far wall for dissection. The process began with my vitals being read and me taking some anti-biotics and two Valium to soothe me.

I then laid face down on the chair (its just like one of those massage chairs where your face pokes throught the bottom, so its very comfortable). I was then given a shot to further soothe me for the extraction.

Now, Ive read some stories on here about the application of the local anesthesia being painful, and I can see how it could have been, but Dr. Cooley has this really cool technique where he holds some kind of massaging apparatus next to the place its being administered while its being administered. This helped alot. I barely felt a thing. Not one time did I feel anything but a small prick.

The donor area was shaved and I could feel something being spread on the surrounding area to separate the hair so they would have an unabstructed area to work with. Now, for the actually extraction, I apologize in advance because I wont be able to tell you much.

To say the least, I was feeling pretty dang good at that point. I do remember the sound of them working, but as far as what was taking place, it beats me. Im pretty sure Brandy (the technician that was there the entire time...THANKS BRANDY!!!) was telling me what was going on, but who knows what I was thinking about.

The next thing I remember, I was being lightly nudged awake. At any given interbal throughout the day, my comfort was ensured by the entire staff. I noticed that there were no less than three technicians dissecting the graphs under the microscope when I stood up. I really had no idea how tedius this job is. I saw pictures in the album and this job takes some kind of attention to detail!

I was on cloud 9 (but never uncomfortably buzzed, just pleasantly euphoric) and went to the restroom for a quick break. This was the last time I would see my huge forehead the exact same way again.

When I returned to the room, I sat down and was even able to kick off my shoes so I was more comfortable. Let me tell you, this is NO DIFFERENT than kicking back in your recliner at home. A list of movies was presented to me, and since I hadnt seen Monty Python in a while, I opted for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Funny stuff, but I tried my best to refrain from laughing, I certainly wanted to make their job as easy as possible.

I fell asleep after only about 20 minutes into the movie, and awoke during the credits. By this time, it was lunchtime and I was given some Quiznos I had ordered earlier. Awesome stuff.

Back to business. Im given another Valium and given another look at the movie list. I pick a James Bond flick. I'm thinking I got through approximately 3 and a half minutes of this movie before I was out like a light again. It was just so comfortable. I awoke and saw the last ten minutes or so of this.

After that, I was immediately offered the list agian, but I opted to just say "nah". Seemed like a waste of time to keep popping movies in if Im just gonna snooze through them. They turned on the golf tournement, which was nice. Again, I drift off. I dont think it was so much the drugs as it was the fact that I had awaken at 5 a.m. to get to the office by 7:30 and didnt sleep the best the night before I was so anxious.

When I awoke, the radio was playing softly. That was nice too. Dr. Cooley and Brandy assured me to speak up at any time I felt anything remotely discomfortable, so occasionaly if I felt something like a mild pin prick, Id say so and immediately another shot of anesthesia was given.

They both worked so diligently for hours and hours. The longest break I saw either of them take was for no longer than 5 minutes. Even then, one would break, while the other continued to work. Heck, MY bathroom breaks lasted longer than that!

This is just my best memory (they warned that I wouldnt remember much) but I think that I was in the chair until a little after 7 p.m. After all the graphs (2,300! can you say WOW!) were placed, a few photos were taken and I talked to Pat. He congratulated me and asked how I felt. I felt great, couldnt wipe the smile off my face. Me and Dr. Cooley took a picture together and my post care instructions were re-itterated to me. I was given a take home bag with some sterilewater-cleansing solution, a ball cap, some rogaine, some other topical foam, and some Valium to help me sleep soundly for the next couple of days.

There is a likely chance that I wouldnt remember everything that was instructed, so Dr. Cooley gave me his cell phone number to call him tomorrow (how many Dr.'s can you call on a saturday???) so he can go back over it with me.

I once again thanked him, Brandy, and Ailene as profusely as I could and got driven back to Columbia, SC by my roomate. I sit here now, feeling no less than awesome and excited.

Like I said before, I will post pictures tomorrow, and it will give everyone a good look at my new hairling and redness (which is not bad AT ALL). But for right now, its bed time, for socialdrinker. Ill re-read this post in the morning to fill in any blank spots that Ive most assuredly missed and post those pics.

Once again, thanks so much Dr. Cooley, Ailene, Brandy, and the rest of his staff, Pat, this forum and everyone that has given me the tremendous advice and encouragement that made today possible.

*UPDATE 6/19/04*

I awoke this morning feeling refreshed and with even less soreness than from when I went to sleep. I slept on my back. With the help of the Valium, it doesn't appear that I rolled around much, or even any at all. I decided that since I was feeling a bit more level-headed, some pictures were in order. So, without further ado, here they are. Now, remember, these are taken with my phone under a bright bathroom light as to ensure the limited capabilities of the phone will capture the most detail.

My awesome new hairline!!!

Day1front001.jpg

Scar? What scar? Actually, one can upon inspection see the stitches and Ill try to get a better shot tomorrow of them. Keep in mind that the hair on the back of my head is VERY short (about 3/8", a 1/2" is really pushing it)

Day1scar.jpg

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

socialdrinker,

your experience sounds alot like mine. i dozed off a bunch of times! which is kinda nice because it makes the day go by faster. funny that i can't remember which movies i saw. i think one of them was Saving Private Ryan, don't remember. happy healing!

thanks, tex! yeah, i do recall that at around 4 pm, i asked if the clock was wrong, because it seemed like i had been in the chair no more than an hour. The biology lectures i have to endure twice a week are by far more tedious than the procedure!

That looks great, Socialdrinker. Did you get disolvable sutures? Will there be a video of some of the surgery up soon? Good luck with the growth and please keep the photos coming!

I didnt get the disolvable sutures since Charlotte is only an hour and a half away and I have nothing better to do on Fridays anyway. This coming Friday (1 week post op), i will go for a cleaning and the next friday (2 weeks post op) I will return to get the stitches out.

Im not sure when the video will be available, thats up to Dr. Cooley and Pat. I know there was footage running much (if not all) of the time I was in there, but dont take my word for what exactly got documented. Im a lightweight with anesthesia it seems so I was off in LaLa land the whole time.

Some pics that were taken before/during/after the procedure...

Pre-Op Front

preopfront.jpg

Pre-Op Right

preopright.jpg

Pre-Op Left

preopleft.jpg

Strip Dissection

stripdissection.jpg

Procedure

graphplacement2.jpg

Yeah, I know, you dont have to say it...haha...a nose job is in inevitably in the cards for ol' socialdrinker...hahaha.

graphplacement1.jpg

graphplacement3.jpg

Notice some of the microscopes used for graph dissection in the background. This was taken later in the day after all had been dissected, but this is for anyone that questions if microscopes are used.

graphplacement4.jpg

Post Op

rtaftersurgery.jpg

An extremely jubilant (and still slightly anesthesia-buzzed) patient and the fantastic Dr. Cooley directly after the procedure.

MeandDocCooley.jpg

Thanks alot!

nice job with posting good photos.

Good to see you had a *HOT* icon_wink.gif nurse. My second procedure, I had a hot nurse, and didn't even know it because of the head and face garbs she had on.

Of course after I realized it, she she removed the coverings, I immediately started hitting on her. That was until I changed out of my gown and look at my self in the mirror, to see that I looked like I should ride the short bus, with all the head wrap I had on!

That was kind of a killer for me. LOL, wonder what she was thinking! icon_eek.gif

Absolutely excellent photos, Socialdrinker! Very detailed. I can't wait to have my procedure done in August. I believe you're going to be very happy with the results. Dr. Cooley has to be one of the greatest doctors in America in my opinion. Good luck with the growing and please keep the photos coming!!

thanks, Brando and HBT. I was going to post new photos of my head today, but there really is no difference except that the redness has subsided tremendously. I have experienced NO swelling and I feel great. I took it extremely easy the whole weekend and even today. I will continue to do so for the remainder of the week until Friday when i go back to Charlotte for a cleaning. The one thing though...no matter HOW prepared you think you are, that first shower/bath session will FREAK YOU OUT!!! hahaha i just KNEW i was going to mess something up! Luckily, everything is just how it should be.

Socialdrinker, Congrats on your procedure with the good Dr Cooley. Looks like he did a great job with you.

To Dr Cooley, Offering your services like you have to Socialdrinker speaks volumes for you and your dedication to hair transplantation. Very few would have done what you have and you should be commended for it. Great job.

Socialdrinker, I was wondering if you know the dimensions of the strip that was taken out. I'd kind of like to know your yield, how many fu's per square centimeter they got out of you. Thanks.

Whew! Both good questions. As a newbie, (even though i just had it done) ill try my best to field both, but i welcome help...

Hairboy: Im preeeeeeetty sure that Dr. Cooley told me that I had about 75 per sq. cm of donor area hair. He said it was near the top of the scale, though I do apologize I cant be more accurate. I'll write this down to ask him for sure on friday. To be completely honest, I heard that I had enough and I was so stoked about that, it didnt occur to me to ask more specifics, but I do remember him telling me the approximation.

Hairworthy: The nurse, as I recall, (her name is Brandy) is placing graphs in areas more in the middle and away from the hairline. The ones toward the front that had to be more strategically placed were done by Dr. Cooley. Even though I was kind of out of it, I do remember them switching sides so she could work on the "filler" work while he concentrated on the "trim(?)" of the hairline so to speak. I hope this made sense. Perhaps it was for this reason that she didnt need magnifying goggles on.

Wow! I like Dr. Cooley's hair. His transplant looks almost undetectable! Thanks for the pics socialdrinker. I'm sure you'll great results.

Your lookin good Social Drinker. I keep checking on your progress top see how your doing. Thank you for the pictures. I also think you got a good Doc. It says a lot about him and how he is dedicated to his patients. Do they take the pictures with their own camera or did you bring your own? Keep us updated all the time like Jotronic did. It gives us a lot to look forward to.

Those pics were taken by their camera and Dr. Cooley himself emailed them to me monday, so immediately posted them.

Yeah, to talk to the man (Dr. Cooley), there was never a doubt in my mind that he holds a passion for his profession and that he held the upmost concern for the aesthetically pleasing finished product.

Ok, i just got out of the shower and realized that since I am going in for the cleaning tomorrow, it may not look exactly the same so i snapped a quick shot after I got out of the shower. There is also one I forgot I snapped at the 4 day mark included. I have no idea why i never posted it earlier.

4 days post op - (Tuesday)

My hair looks greasy in this one, because there is Monoxidil 5% applied.

4dayspostop.jpg

6 days post op - (Thursday)

6dayspostop.jpg

I went to my 1 week post-op follow up and cleaning at Dr. Cooley's office today. Ms. Ailene went over my head and cleaned the scabbing and dead skin that had accumulated around the graphs. She told me that the area was healing very well and I was sure glad to hear it.

Dr. Cooley came in and agreed. They both seemed actually as excited as I am to see the progress. Its a great feeling to see that after such a procedure. We talked some about what to expect the next week before I get the stitches out next friday and I was told to pretty much keep up what I was doing.

After a couple of pictures, Ms. Ailene brought out a "laser comb" and brushed through my hair with this a few times. She informed me that they had seen enough conclusive evidence that it promoted healing and healthy growths if the new graphs. As I have dont next to no research on it, I have no real opinion, though before today I was pretty skeptical. My way of looking at it is this: it cant hurt, right?

After that, I was invited to see another gentleman getting a second procedure done. I was shown some of his before/after pictures and then actually got to see it being preformed. Yeah, I know what youre thinking:

"drinker, whats the big deal, you already had yours preformed"

Its different to see it yourself though, out of the chair; totally cool.

So anyway, Brandy, (the cute tech in my procedure pictures) said that she was going to clean up the dead skin around my stitches to ensure better healing. This didnt hurt really at all either, even though she was using sharp forceps to (i guess) dig the dead skin away from the donor area. Quite the contrary, it felt pretty good, because it alleviated the itching. That was pretty much it! Visiting that office has been a great experience every time. These were taken just now after I got out of the shower with my phone. Dr. Cooley is going to send me the better ones that were taken in the office today, but these will give you an idea of how great it looks (even though its a little blurry, sorry 'bout that). Im in no pain, there wasnt too much scabbing to begin with, no swelling, and the redness is all but dissipated (though these pictures kind of bring it more out than what it actually looks like in person). Itching has been the one thing that is even remotely annoying. A little self control and a little of this nifty foam substance given to me has taken care of that, though.

Now, for the pics:

Top:

1weekpostopaftercleaning.jpg

Right:

1weekpostopaftercleaningrtside.jpg

Left:

1weekpostopaftercleaninglftside.jpg

looks like you maybe getting a little shock lose. But hard to tell from the wet hair. If so, don't sweat it. It'll grow back with the grafts.

Can't believe the lack of redness, and lack of swelling. I've seen pics of people who look like they were in a bar fight the night before, and someone took the ugly stick to them.

Maybe so. I cant say for sure. Im not too worried about it though, since Im definite that the end will justify the means.

(Yeah, upon reading this again, I saw that it DID need to be changed...hahhahaha)

umm, I handed that torch to Rugger! LOL icon_eek.gif

Hey, even if it is shock lose. Definitely stick to the "end will justify the means."

It is very true!! Look like crap for a month or 2. Look twenty times better in the end. It comes back.