(new1month-1sthaircutpics)Socialdrinkers Dr Cooley HT 6/18/04

Robert_

HBT, i think those pics are decieving with the wet hair concerning shock loss. My hair is pretty fine so it always looked very thin wet. Ill post another pic of it when dry. I know that I have some, but i dont think its been a whole hell of alot. At least not yet.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Socialdrinker

Dr. Cooley did a great job. Were you his only patient that day? When do you have the stitches out? Does Dr. Cooley offer staples or sutures. I was just curious based on discussions on this board between staples or sutures. Anyway, you look great. I have a consult with Dr. Cooley on Monday the 28th. I just hope he can offer me so good news regarding repair work. I believe you have seen my photos and know that I need extensive repair work.

Thanks, Altair. Yeah, I was his only patient that day. Thats another good thing about them: they only do 1 patient per day. I get my stitches out this coming friday (2 weeks post op). I know that he offers the stitches and likes to use them as he says they make for a less noticeable scar. He also offers the disolvable sutures, which brianK got. I dont know if he offers staples or not. I didnt ask. Im fairly certain that he can offer you some good news, as Ive seen some pretty atrocious "before" pictures in his album and the "after" pictures were certainly exceptional. Good luck with the consult!

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. Cooley sent me this pic taken in the office exactly 1 week post op on 6/25/04. You can see how fair skinned I am (Ive been staying out of the sun to protect the graphs, perhaps to overkill, but oh well) and you can see that there is hardly any (really, if at all) redness. Getting the stitches out friday. Ill have more pics to post then.

1weekpostopinoffice.jpg

Looks like you're healing really well, socialdrinker. I have my 1200 graft procedure with Dr. Cooley in early August. If I would get my haircut 2 weeks before surgery with a #4 guard, do you think I'd be able to hide the stitches in the back? I don't want my g/f and my friends to find out I had it done ( I will wear a hat the first week-2 weeks I see my girlfriend).

I would say a #4 is PLENTY to cover the stitches. The length that I had was about 2 weeks out from a #2 guard on the back and from day 1 one could only see a line back there. Youll be fine. Even if the line was detectable with the hat off, a hat will cover it comfortably, as long as its loose enough those first 2 days.

I can't believe how good Dr. Cooley is. I had never heard of him before the education center and essay competition.

Great work Pat for bringing him to our attention!

Social Drinker... couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. icon_cool.gif

Im due back at Dr. Cooleys office tomorrow afternoon, so I figured id post some 2 week (well, 1 day shy of) pictures of my hairline and scar before the stitches are removed.

Hairline

2weekspostopntbeforestitchrem.jpg

Stitches from back (sorry so blurry)

2weekspostopscarback.jpg

Stitches from side

2weekspostopscarlftside.jpg

Everything is still going great. I feel a slight numbness in the recipient area, but nothing troublesome at all. In fact, I only feel it when I comb through my "existing" hair. Also, the stitches itched a little more the second week than the first, but its barely worth mentioning. I do think the hairline pic is decieving, maybe due to the bathroom light or due to my camera being a camphone and not having a good resolution. The redness that shows on the picture is not truly accurate. There is barely any redness at all.

hey social,

can we get a better pic of the side? The light is distorting the hairline.

The annoying numbeness you have should only last about a month. And if your head feels tight, that will only last about a month also. Soon, you'll wake up and say, "when did that go away?"

Ask and ye shall recieve...

2weekspostopside1.jpg

I doubt this is much better, its really hard to get a decent pic from the side. Be all end all, you really cant see anything at all except the hair.

But yeah, this tightness that I read about, I havent had any. Guess im lucky.

Looking good Socialdrinker! Have you been able to go out with noone noticing without a hat? Did you tell your friends or g/f (unless you're single) you had a HT or are you doing a good job hiding it?

I never went out without a hat before so I havent been out without one since. The only person that knows is my roomate (shes the one that drove me home) and she thought it was cool as hell. With the hat on, its totally undetectable. With the hat off, it just looks like I have peach fuzz in the recipient area, so yeah, i guess with Toppik and Couvre (on my still-bald crown) I could go out without a second look.

Just got back in the house from having the stitches removed. Oddly enough, this was the most pain I have had the entire time, and it wasnt bad at all. Just some pulling sensation, really. Talked to Dr. Cooley for quite a bit. I'll be going back in 3 weeks from now and about every month thereafter for new pics and such (which is good, b/c my camphone does suck; I know, I know, I need to break down and buy a real camera). Anyway, other than a slightly dry scalp, which he recommended a shampoo for, everything is going great. I still cant work out to any great extent for another 2 weeks or so, but I can do some light running and lifting if i wanted to. Im thinking Ill be lazy for 2 more weeks. Wont hurt much, right? heh heh heh. So anyway, here are some better pics:

While he was cleaning up the recipient area with some gauze, some of the hairs were coming out and he showed them to me. Im actually kind of relieved that they are falling out. It means progress. Call me crazy, i know...

2weekatoffice1.jpg

Right after the stitches were taken out.

2weekatoffice3.jpg

And again, with hair down:

2weekatoffice2.jpg

Yeah, I know I need a haircut to get that fuzz off my neck, but I was waiting for the stitches to be removed. I have no idea what my stylists reaction is going to be. Thanks!

Thanks, HBT. Yeah alot of people ask me why I dont mind driving an hour and a half every week (or, now, every month), but it really comforts me to know that everything is ok as I progress

I was kind of scared to shower normally until after I got the stitches out and asked Dr. Cooley if it was ok. Before then, I was using a cup to wet and rinse my head and just patting the shampoo on the recipient area. I may have gone longer than needed, but better safe than sorry. So, yeah, last night, I had my first "normal" shower; putting my head under the stream and lathering normally. I even saw more of the transplanted hairs in my hands after i lathered, which spawns mixed feelings...hahaha

Ill probably get a haircut Tuesday, but not my usual "high-and-tight". Ill get a similar one, but i wont use a #1 on the back and sides. Perhaps a #3 will suffice since I wear a hat all the time anyway.

In my case most of the transplanted hairs fell between the end of week 3 and now (end of week 4). I would say around 100 per day on average, but the amount has been decreasing significantly for the past 3 days. I still have loads though, wonder if they will also fall or not.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

My experiences varied. Some of my HT I saw 50-60% fall out in the first 4 weeks. The HT that I used Cytograft or saline frequently-- every 2 hours-- I did not have much fall out/or domant period--the hair continued to grow at the transplated state? That's how it worked for me. 6 procedures

Hey Socialdrinker, Today I believe is 3 weeks post op for you, and another question I had is are you able to comb your hair and wash it normally now? Has anyone detected something is going on up there?

Yup. today is 3 weeks. I can wash and comb my hair like I want to. After week 2 Ive been able to. Noone can tell anything, of course, the hat naturally helps. The itching has all but subsided and I feel great. I dont really have much to tell. I guess its pretty boring from here until I see some growth

I will say that about 25% or so of the transplanted hairs have fallen out. Again, mixed feelings. Dr. Cooley reminded to try to keep my mind off it, which is terribly difficult to do.

I still havent had a hair cut yet. Im, quite frankly, waiting for a little more length in the back. Maybe next week.

I finally took some 3 week postop pics. One of the diminishing transplanted hairline and one of the donor area scar (sorry im not talented enough to lift my hair with a comb and take the picture by myself and my roomate isnt home)

You can see that the hairline has fallen out quickly. This may be due to rubbing by my ballcap. I dont know. Anyway..siiigh...theres the big ol forehead again...hahaha.

3weekpostop.jpg

Ill definitely get another pic of the scar area after I get that haircut. I guess im waiting for some more transplanted hair to fall out and let the back grow out a little more. That way, my stylist can just guess as to whats going on from month to month when i start growing my new hair...hahah...but I will end up telling her. Shes such a sweet lady.

3weekspostopback.jpg