Will the hairloss cure lead to the collapse of the hair transplant industry?

LifeIsSucks

If hypothetically some lotion came out that managed to regrow all the patients hair back to nw0/pre balding state, would that lead to the collapse of the hair transplant industry? I read that sm04554 has the potential of inducing follicular neogenesis.

I know it might be a silly question, but what kind of options would someone with naturally high temples have if all the good clinics went out of business? Assuming he wants them filled in

Edited by LifeIsSucks

Yes, it would lead to the collapse of the hair transplant industry. But I think we're at least 20 years away from a "cure." 

You have to worry about a lot of variables. Will the hair stay? Will stem cells differential into cell lines? The scariest scenario is what happens if the hair cells become cancerous? The last one is a very real issue that I think people overlook. 

Here's a great article on a "cure." I've talked to some PhD researchers, as well as MDs, and the consensus is that it'll be at least 20 years to have autologous hair growth that can overcome hair loss. I think the best bet is synthetic hair that mimics real hair. The question then becomes what is the quality of that synthetic hair and is it indistinguishable from your own hair.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/07/hair-for-all/594826/

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

From what I’ve read of this new treatment in the pipeline by Samumed...I’m not impressed...seems like a lot of hype by the firm to gain investment funds...but I hope they can create something more effective than what’s on the market, that’s safe of course. As for Hair Transplants, they’re not going away anytime soon, the only thing I can foresee truly curing Hair loss & Baldness is gene editing (CRISPR) but that may not be safe.

• Like 1

I doubt we will see a “cure” for a long time. But perhaps there will be a new and more Effective medication without bad side effects.

Another possibility is cloning follicles so we have more donor supply to be used in hair transplants.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:14 PM, vanilia said:

i have one probably totaly stupid question (havent read this info anyone before):

what would be if they would transplant hair from a person that just died on my head? would they grow?

There is new research on this exact same topic that has demonstrated success in mice. Normally, our immune system would reject tissue (hair is after all, also tissue) that doesn't belong to us. Organ transplantation gets around this through the use of steroids and other immunosuppressive drugs. Here's the article, I wish I could find an actual medical journal article on this at the moment but am on the road:

http://www.koreabiomed.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=4920

I would say this technology is about 10-20 years away though.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.