What Is The Hair Transplant Ugly Duckling Phase?

• Administrators

How many of you experienced the ugly duckling phase? What did you do to alleviate it?

For me, my first procedure I just lived with it. It was horrible and that was a brutal 3 months. However, my last procedure I used Toppik and that was a godsend. 

What is The Hair Transplant Ugly Duckling Phase?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey a couple of questions:

1) Does using Toppik have any affect on the result of the transplant?

2) Do you have any idea about what percentage of people do not shed after the transplant? and is the output better if you shed?

Thanks.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, ag120 said:

Hey a couple of questions:

1) Does using Toppik have any affect on the result of the transplant?

2) Do you have any idea about what percentage of people do not shed after the transplant? and is the output better if you shed?

Thanks.

Toppik does not affect the yield. I've only seen maybe 1-2 people not shed. Didn't appear to have any noticeable difference. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I  have a different view of Ugly Duckling.  Since my recipient area was not shaved, and I don't buzz by head anywhere, the worst part is waiting for the buzzed donor area to grow out.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Yeah, I definitely had it for a few weeks - but it wasn't so bad for me. I buzzed my head completely and had significant redness in the recipient area, but I convinced my employer at the time to allow me to wear a hat to work for undisclosed "medical reasons". They obliged and I used that to get me through first several weeks. After that, the redness had gone away just enough that it just looked like a mild sunburn, so I ditched the hat and nobody asked any questions. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56