A few questions before/after FUE surgery

Cant seem to find answers for these, if you wouldnt mind.

1. I already take fin and minox and have done for years. I also microneedle once a fortnight. Leading up to a FUE procedure, should I stop the microneedling and minoxidil? If so, how far before the surgery and at which point can I resume?

2. Straight after a FUE procedure is it possible to wear, say a beanie hat on the flight home or not? 

3. For how long before and after surgery should one abstain from smoking/alcohol/junk food?

4. How soon after FUE can you start lifting weights again?

5. How soon after FUE can you go out in the sun?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

All of these questions are answered by the clinic, but I’ll answer you to the best of my abilities. But please know that the clinic may have different suggestions, as not all clinics share the same timeframes.

1. Stop the minoxidil and microneedling a week before. You can resume minoxidil after three weeks. I’d wait 1.5 months for the microneedling.

2. You can wear a loose fitted hat. Stay away from beanies they can get stuck on the fresh grafts and can tug and pull then out. 

3. Alcohol around 2 weeks, although a beer or glass of wine won’t do much, just don’t drink in excess. Smoking is no good and I’d say at least 1.5 months and if possible quit for the first 6 months. Junk food doesn’t really have any effect on the growth as long as you’re not getting malnourished. 

4. After two weeks you can start lifting, but ease back in to it. 

5. Don’t go out in the sun without a hat for at least a month. When you do go out use spf. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, markymark310 said:

At what point do you stop using the travel pillow and sleep normally after fue?

I never used a travel pillow, but I did sleep upright like in a comfortable armchair or recliner for up to 7-8 nights for the fluids and swelling in your head to drain and go down quicker 

Edited by home1212

On 8/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, HairGone29 said:

Cant seem to find answers for these, if you wouldnt mind.

1. I already take fin and minox and have done for years. I also microneedle once a fortnight. Leading up to a FUE procedure, should I stop the microneedling and minoxidil? If so, how far before the surgery and at which point can I resume?

2. Straight after a FUE procedure is it possible to wear, say a beanie hat on the flight home or not? 

3. For how long before and after surgery should one abstain from smoking/alcohol/junk food?

4. How soon after FUE can you start lifting weights again?

5. How soon after FUE can you go out in the sun?

Thanks in advance

Hi HairGone29,

First of all, we wish you all the best with your HT procedure. All the HT Clinics have their guidelines for the do's and dont's ........sharing with you an excerpt of what we advise our Patients at Darling Buds India (Dr. Bhatti's Clinic)

DO NOT exercise heavily on the day of procedure.

DO NOT have your hair cut before the procedure.

DO NOT take ASPRIN or IBUPROFEN products 7 days before, and 24 hours after the procedure.

DO NOT drink ALCOHOL for 24 hours before and after the procedure.

DO NOT take DRUGS/MARIJUANA for 48 hours before and after the procedure.

DO NOT take VITAMINS A,C and/or E (or any other MULTI-VITAMINS) or HERBS (specially garlic, ginko, Asian ginseng, ginger) for 10 days before the procedure).

STOP using MINOXIDIL (Rogaine) 7 days before the procedure.

DO arrange to have someone drive you to the office and pick you up or take a taxi, as pre-medication is often given prior to the procedure. You can also use our company car. Please ask for this service in advance.

DO call the office to arrange hotel accommodation for the night of the procedure if you live out of the city.

DO wash your hair well night before or the morning of the procedure.

Your hair must be at least one inch (1”) long prior to your procedure. This is required to assess the play of light and shadow to make a better plan for where to plant in higher density. Also a photographic record is required for future reference.

ON THE DAY OF THE PROCEDURE

You will need someone to drive you back. You may ask for our shuttle service which may be free of charge.

DO take light breakfast before coming to the clinic.

DO wear a front open, button down shirt to avoid pulling anything getting in contact with the top of the head (a very loose collar is okay).

DO NOT wear any cologne or perfume.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE CLINIC REGARDING ANY MEDICATIONS YOU MAY BE CURRENTLY TAKING.

FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE FOREGOING INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN INCREASED BLEEDING. AS A RESULT, THE PROCEDURE MAY TAKE MUCH LONGER TO PERFORM AND YOU MAY EXPERIENCE SWELLING OF THE FOREHEAD FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE.

AFTER THE PROCEDURE

DO’S AND DON’T’S

DOs:

1.            Take your medication at specific time of the day as advised on the schedule.

2.            Keep upright and sleep in semi setting position for minimum first three nights after the procedure so that head is higher than the heart.

3.            Water the roots minimum every 20 minutes on the evening after the procedure till you sleep and every 2 hours the next morning on wards.

4.            Spray antiseptic three times in a day (once in the morning after the shampoo after drying, second in the afternoon after lunch and 3rd time in the evening after shampoo and drying). This should be done from arm’s length away- 2 feet.

5.            Restart your other medications at your routine time as you were taking them prior to the procedure.

6.            Keep your eyes closed & covered with towel during antiseptic spray.

7.            Take shower and tap water bath below shoulders only.

8.            Do continue your routine work or even brisk walk.

9.            You may have normal sex life after 3 nights.

10.         Do keep the procedure area covered with cap for all outdoor activities up to 3 weeks to avoid direct exposure of dust, heat and sunlight.

11.         Keep pressing the forehead skin from mid line outwards to prevent the swelling going into your eyes & shifting it to the side of the face.

12.         While drying the planted area with swab after shampoo, dab dry backward to forward only and if your temple triangles have been worked upon, do this to top to bottom.

13.         Do use a travel pillow if you have got a previous strip scar repaired lest it touches the pillow. In such cases you shall have to lie upright for 5 days.

14.         Do not hesitate to call helpline in case of any query (8 AM- 6 PM) or in an emergency 24x7. For routine queries, e-mail is recommended for a comprehensive reply.

15.         Use sterile medical water provided in the kit for 5-days & then use potable mineral water. However since usually the medical normal saline water is left over, you can continue to use this till it finishes, after which you can start using mineral/ bottled water.

DONTs:

1.            Do not sleep flat for the first 3 days.

2.            Do not consume alcohol on the night after

3.            Do not pour tap water over the procedure site.

4.            Do not do heavy exercise, gym, aerobics, heavy weight lifting or yoga for one week.

5.            Do not bend down or forward to tie your shoe lace or to pick up objects from the ground for the first 3 days.

6.            Do not use hair dryer.

7.            Do not scratch the procedure area with you finger-nail.

8.            Do not allow teeth of your comb to touch the procedure area while combing.

9.            Do not apply any ice or cold pack over the procedure area, forehead or any part of the face.

10.         Do not stroke the planted area with gauze from forward to backward.

11.         Do not use any shampoo, washing solution or antiseptic other than what is supplied/ recommended.

12.         Do not take steam or sauna bath for 2 weeks.

13.  You can use your own loose cap/ hat after 5 days of the procedure or you can wear a bandana. We request you to wear only our cap as it is designed specially for your care. Use it only for outdoor activity. Do not wear any woolen cap. No turban for 2 months after the procedure. No helmet for 6 weeks after the procedure. Cap should not touch any procedure area. Wear it loose and do not press it tight across your head. Remove it by lifting it from back to front.

14. Do not go to the barber for 6 weeks after the procedure.

15. Do not color your hair before 6 weeks of the procedure.

16. After the first 2 weeks do not unnecessarily keep the hair covered with a cap. Give them air for a healthy growth.

17. If you develop dandruff, you may use Ketoconazole shampoo 2 days a week.

18. If the beard is the donor site, do not shave it for 7 days after the procedure. Till 7 days you can shave your beard and use a trimmer for the shadow area from where grafts have been take.

19. Do not use shampoo more than 2-3 times a week.

20. Do not wear the cap when on a long haul flight out of India since it will be uncomfortable. Tie a loose bandanna over the scalp.

21. Do not swim in a pool or in the sea for 3 weeks after the procedure.

HAPPY GROWING!

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.