Hair fibers after hair transplant - Surgeons recomandations

Hello everyone,

For those who have had surgery I would like to know the different opinions of the surgeons regarding the use of hair fibers after the operation (toppik, kmax, etc)?

We can read everything online. Some say that it is safe 2 weeks after the surgery when all the crusts have fallen, others say that you should refrain from using it for 3, 6 months or even not using it at all because it can clog the pores of the scalp and choke grafts.

UPDATE 08/30/2019 - I will edit this post as I get answers from surgeons:

(source of information)

Belgium

Lupanzula: Not allowed. As he said, they could clog the pores (he told me after my surgery)

Mwamba: Allowed, 1 month after the surgery (he told me after a consultation)

USA

Robert M. Bernstein: Allowed, 5 to 7 days after the surgery (https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/answers/can-i-use-toppik-if-i-had-a-hair-transplant/)

Those we have other answers, feel free to PM me or just answer below. Wanna try to do something comprehensive.

Edited by tomaqk

• Administrators

I only started using hair fibers after my last surgery in 2016, ever since then i've been hooked lol. I don't believe in that "clog pores" nonsense. That's the same logic that people use when they say that wearing hats makes you go bald. I would say it's safe once all of the grafts have shed. That may be at 2 weeks, or past a month. Everyone is different. I shed my grafts around the 3rd week.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Yeah I heard Lupanzula recommends to his patients not to use concealers in case it clogs pores, whereas both my surgeons said it was ok after 2 weeks/4 weeks.

Yes, he told me the same thing after my surgery.

Can you tell me the name of your surgeons ? I will add them in the first post.

20 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I only started using hair fibers after my last surgery in 2016, ever since then i've been hooked lol. I don't believe in that "clog pores" nonsense. That's the same logic that people use when they say that wearing hats makes you go bald. I would say it's safe once all of the grafts have shed. That may be at 2 weeks, or past a month. Everyone is different. I shed my grafts around the 3rd week.

Meaning you did not use fibers for your previous surgery ?

And many weeks/days after the last one did you use fibers ?

What do you say it's a nonsense that fibers could clog the pores ?

Its important to clarify what the Dr's mean precisely when they say no Concealers as they may be referring to heavy make up based products like Dermatch which i would agree to avoid for a good while post surgery.  Clinics have told me before they have had guys cake stuff on like Dermatch each day and not washed it off properly and its led to sub par results.

However once you are healed i would see no issues using hair fibres.  And within vast research i did on the topic most Dr's (with a few exceptions that i don't really understand the logic) seem to say hair fibres are no issues after a few weeks once fully healed.  Ive use them myself 3-4 weeks post surgery with no issues along with many i spoke too.

Just only use them when needed and wash them off as soon as in house to allow scalp to breathe.

They can be a life saver if you want to conceal the surgery post op

Edited by BaldingBogger

• Administrators
On 8/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, tomaqk said:

Meaning you did not use fibers for your previous surgery ?

And many weeks/days after the last one did you use fibers ?

What do you say it's a nonsense that fibers could clog the pores ?

Correct, I did not use fibers before. Now I’m a huge believer in them. I used fibers at least 4-5x per week. Fibers are easily washed out. There’s no way they’re clogging pores id you wash them out every night.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:48 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Correct, I did not use fibers before. Now I’m a huge believer in them. I used fibers at least 4-5x per week. Fibers are easily washed out. There’s no way they’re clogging pores id you wash them out every night.

Can i ask which fibers you would recommend? And do you use anything with them, or just hair spray?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, keysersoze said:

Can i ask which fibers you would recommend? And do you use anything with them, or just hair spray?

I've tried all kinds, toppik, caboki, nanogen. They all pretty much work the same, but the best value in my opinion is Caboki, it lasts the longest and is reasonably priced. I use redken manuever pomade and hair spray. 

View my thread

On 9/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I've tried all kinds, toppik, caboki, nanogen. They all pretty much work the same, but the best value in my opinion is Caboki, it lasts the longest and is reasonably priced. I use redken manuever pomade and hair spray. 

Thanks mate I might invest. At least for a few months. One last question? Does it stay in place or does it fall oout and on your shoulders etc, or is that what the hair spray is for?

Hi,

I don't see an issue with it. Hair fibers are supposed to go on your hair and not so much your scalp. Of course some always gets on your skin, but I don't believe they clog your pores. 

I recommend patients start using it about 15 days to a month after the surgery because I don't want them adding to the debris and scabs they already have and avoid handling their hair too much in the first month. We want to let everything heal properly. But for example, if the recipient area is the hairline and they want to use it in their crown area, they can start using it after a couple of days.

That being said, I shave my patient's hair 95% of the time, so this isn't really an issue at least for a couple of months.

• Like 1

• Administrators

^ great post @Dr. Bruno Ferreira

• Like 1

View my thread