Have my transplanted follicles been harmed from sun exposure?

I was underwent hair transplant procedure by DHI technique about 4 months ago. After about 3.5 months of the procedure (exactly 112 days), I walked under the hot sun for 2.5 hours (from 15:30 to 19:00pm) to induce vitamin D to my transplanted hair. Afterthat, I noticed that my long hair looks a little less dense even though I still see new hairs which are about to grow up but not so much. In fact, my hair starts to look more dense after 3 months of the procedure and the vellus hairs have disappeared but I am not sure if it fell or transformed to normal hair.

When I invistigated about this issue, I have found that I shouldn't expose my transplanted hair to the sun for at least 4 months or the transplanted grafts will be harmed.

Have my transplanted grafts been harmed or affected?

Edited by hairtargeter

I really doubt that you could have caused any harm to the grafted follicles 3.5 months after the procedure. It is the exposure to the sum immediately following the procedure that is a concern. More because it could cause a more permanent redness discoloration to the scalp. 

• Thanks 1

I doubt that one time in the sun like that will have done harm - and from what I understand, the risk involved is greater when it comes to an actual sunburn

As for the length of time suggested before you can get normal sun exposure, this is one of those areas that really varies from clinic to clinic (which can be frustrating that there's no scientific consensus). Depending on the clinic, you'll hear anything from a couple months to up to a year. We recommend patients avoid the sun for 6 months as a general rule. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

What's done is done.  Many believe, if you are out on the sun for an extended period, you can freckle permanently.  This is if you do it right after the procedure.  The suggestion is to put sunscreen and a cap, which you should be doing anyway.

No, I don't think this will harm anything.  The issue is the fact that it typically takes 3-4 months for the follicle to reincorporate into the blood stream.  The first growth is weak and it improves with time. That is, the shaft of the hair will thicken up.  Thus, after 3 -4 months, you shouldn't notice anything.  

If you're noticing less hair, it may be because you are in the process of shedding - which is normal.  I would suggest you take a set of photos now and another set in 6 months.  

What medical therapy are you currently doing?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

What's done is done.  Many believe, if you are out on the sun for an extended period, you can freckle permanently.  This is if you do it right after the procedure.  The suggestion is to put sunscreen and a cap, which you should be doing anyway.

No, I don't think this will harm anything.  The issue is the fact that it typically takes 3-4 months for the follicle to reincorporate into the blood stream.  The first growth is weak and it improves with time. That is, the shaft of the hair will thicken up.  Thus, after 3 -4 months, you shouldn't notice anything.  

If you're noticing less hair, it may be because you are in the process of shedding - which is normal.  I would suggest you take a set of photos now and another set in 6 months.  

@LaserCap Any studies or articles to back up the “3-4 months for the follicle to reincorporate into the blood stream?”

ive heard doctors say it takes 5-7 days for grafts to re-establish it’s blood supply. Even read a study that said grafts begin to re-vascularize at day 3 and complete by about day 7.

Most clinics will tell you it takes 3-4 months for the hair to start growing.  I've also noted that with PRP the growth comes in sooner.  Does that mean that the "rooting" is faster?  It'd be interesting to hear from doctors on this one.

Wow, 5-7?  Even plants take longer than that to start rooting.  

9 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Most clinics will tell you it takes 3-4 months for the hair to start growing.  I've also noted that with PRP the growth comes in sooner.  Does that mean that the "rooting" is faster?  It'd be interesting to hear from doctors on this one.

Wow, 5-7?  Even plants take longer than that to start rooting.  

@LaserCap Establishing blood supply vs seeing first signs of regrowth are totally different. Which of these were u initially referring to?

1 hour ago, transplantedphil said:

I think we went from a specific discussion about the potential effects of sun exposure on newly implanted grafts, to the more general topic of graft survival from their initial implantation process to their subsequent entrenchment and maturation.

But the real question is wtf is @LaserCap talking about?

8 hours ago, jj51702 said:

But the real question is wtf is @LaserCap talking about?

If you read the very first post, hairtargeter asks about sun exposure....but he also mentioned...."In fact, my hair starts to look more dense after 3 months of the procedure and the vellus hairs have disappeared but I am not sure if it fell or transformed to normal hair.

Thus, sun exposure has nothing to do with this, but blood does.

The human body is amazing....But let me not go into another tangent....need to avoid the wtf's as much as possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jj51702 said:

@LaserCap Establishing blood supply vs seeing first signs of regrowth are totally different. Which of these were u initially referring to?

Follicles regain blood supply in 3 days based on 'Perez-Meza D, Leavitt M, Mayer M. The growth factors. Part 1: clinical and histological evaluation of the wound healing and revascularization of the hair graft after hair transplant surgery. Hair Transplant Forum Int. 2007;17:173–5.'

I find all of this fascinating. But let's try to stay on subject. Members are quite reactive. No need to get another WTF.

4 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Follicles regain blood supply in 3 days based on 'Perez-Meza D, Leavitt M, Mayer M. The growth factors. Part 1: clinical and histological evaluation of the wound healing and revascularization of the hair graft after hair transplant surgery. Hair Transplant Forum Int. 2007;17:173–5.'

I find all of this fascinating. But let's try to stay on subject. Members are quite reactive. No need to get another WTF.

Wtf is not a bad thing mr laser. Wtf= whose transplanted follicle

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Wtf is not a bad thing mr laser. Wtf= whose transplanted follicle

Hahah. Good save. 😎

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 8/16/2019 at 1:10 AM, LaserCap said:

Thank you. In fact, the core of my question is about DHI technique itself. The warnings about sun exposure after the Hair Transplantation are usually associated with FUE procedure with doing incessions for follicles insertion. But what about DHI? Is sun exposure really less dangerous after hair transplant with DHI?

On 8/15/2019 at 8:39 PM, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

I really doubt that you could have caused any harm to the grafted follicles 3.5 months after the procedure. It is the exposure to the sum immediately following the procedure that is a concern. More because it could cause a more permanent redness discoloration to the scalp. 

The warnings about sun exposure after HT are associated with FUT and FUE procedures where incessions are done for the insertion of hair follicles. What about DHI procedure? Is sun exposure less dangerous after DHI transplant?

The time period referred to avoid sun exposure after FUT/FUE is about 4 months. What about DHI?