New drug "The Hairy Pill" WTF?

HalfFull

Hi guys,

I got targeted on Insta recently with an ad for The Hairy Pill. Curious and sceptical as always, did some digging to see what I could find. 

The reason that I was interested was because it is claimed that is behind the meds, he's certainly a very experienced dermatologist and has a very good reputation (outside of HT's that is). 

The huge issue I have with the whole brand and website is it screams of BS and is very, very convoluted about what the hell it actually is. From what I can gather, I think it is an oral minoxidil tablet.

But that's the issues in and of itself, how the hell can a reputable Dr be associated with a startup like this that isn't transparent on what the hell it's actually selling.

My example is this, imagine if a website was selling a miracle pill for hairloss and after you start taking it find out it's Finasteride and have ED for the remainder of your life. (I'm NOT a fan of Fin if you hadn't worked it out yet). So my concern is that while oral minoxidil might be awesome, without more transparency, what's the potential side effects or other issues?

The website also under its is basically saying they take absolutely ZERO responsibility in anything that happens, and that they're basically an internet middle man. "The Hairy Company is not a pharmaceutical research or development company. We are not scientists and do not test or develop pharmaceuticals. We did not invent the underlying intellectual property (IP) and technology of the hair loss treatment. The underlying IP and technology adapted has been developed by its patent owner Samson Clinical Pty Ltd (ACN 607 005 514) (“Samson Clinical”)."

This is more of a rant than anything, would be awesome if ANYONE could shed some light on this company and what snake oil they're peddling. I actually called Dr Sinclair's office to talk to him or anyone about it. The receptionist hadn't heard about the company, then after I was on hold said "oh yes, seems that is one of his businesses" or something to that effect. The reason I'm really curious is that it's patented, which could well mean it's worth looking at. However given the amount of research I've done in this area over the past 20ish years, without peer-reviewed double blind placebo tests and probably $100mm in funding I'd say it's no miracle. 

I have an appointment booked with him, mainly to quiz him on what the heck is going on and if he knows anything new about hair loss, sadly though the appointment cost is $400 so would prefer to get answers and not waste the cash. It may well be that I'm heading into the good old desperate phase before I need my THIRD HT which I would do nearly anything to avoid at this point in my life...

Thoughts welcomed from the brains trust.

UPDATE: Did some more digging and found the article below, it actually seems very legit. So am now even more curious as to why the brand he's created seems so dodgy.

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/a-revolutionary-new-hair-loss-treatment-could-soon-be-available-h18117

The pill described in the article is just oral Minoxidil. You can already buy this from some online sources depending on where you live, but it's not really anything new. I've seen some people make claims similar to this article that oral ingestion yields superior results to topical application, and while that may be true you're also increasing the possibility of side effects substantially if you're susceptible.

Edited by Mycroft

He is the leading physician of the dermatologist I go to for my hair meds.

I'm on a compound medication containing this oral minox, and finasteride. They claim that there is an inhibitory characteristic of topical minoxidil, and oral completely bypasses this.

Whether this is true, or not, I am unsure, as I haven't cited any legitimate research pertaining to oral versus topical, and their mechanisms.

They always seem to be trialing new treatments at that dermatology clinic, and are often doing clinical trials. 

I've never personally been consulted by him, but the derm at the clinic was good. She actually talked me out of a transplant in favour of trying to keep my hair with medication. But yes, it does all seem very gimmicky from those sites.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bonkling said:

He is the leading physician of the dermatologist I go to for my hair meds.

I'm on a compound medication containing this oral minox, and finasteride. They claim that there is an inhibitory characteristic of topical minoxidil, and oral completely bypasses this.

Whether this is true, or not, I am unsure, as I haven't cited any legitimate research pertaining to oral versus topical, and their mechanisms.

They always seem to be trialing new treatments at that dermatology clinic, and are often doing clinical trials. 

I've never personally been consulted by him, but the derm at the clinic was good. She actually talked me out of a transplant in favour of trying to keep my hair with medication. But yes, it does all seem very gimmicky from those sites.

Ok brilliant, this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I'm definitely interested in oral minoxidil and want to know what the patented pill is he's developed. I'll post back here when I've had my consultation.

Out of curiosity, what is the charge per month for the pills? Must be cheaper getting a direct prescription than through the website above....

Edited by HalfFull

1 hour ago, HalfFull said:

Ok brilliant, this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I'm definitely interested in oral minoxidil and want to know what the patented pill is he's developed. I'll post back here when I've had my consultation.

Out of curiosity, what is the charge per month for the pills? Must be cheaper getting a direct prescription than through the website above....

One of the positives, is the compound medication is really cheap. I think I get like, 100 pills or three months worth for about 70 bucks. It contains: finasteride, minox, biotin, zinc, and a couple of other vitamins. 

Let us know how you go! :)

• Like 1

Ok so have an update. I saw Dr Sinclair and was very impressed. So impressed it's baffling to me how he's not recommended on this forum here as a recommended Dr.

What blew me away is the fact that they actually do FUE and FUT and use Mario Marzola - https://www.sinclairdermatology.com.au/dr-mario-marzola/

Anyhow, while it cost me a fortune to see Dr Sinclair, in my estimation it's nothing compared to the cost I've spent over the past 20 years so may as well get the best advice I can at this stage.

His recommendation to me was oral minoxidil, 1 per day for 4 weeks the 2 per day after that. Also Krastase Densifique and Kerastase shampoo. He showed me the data and clinical trials on them, I said sign me up. The cost for the 4 months on that is costly ($110 cheaper to buy through him though when you get them all). 

Notably the other thing he recommended (much to my shock) was a laser cap. He said he had just finished a clinical trial of the Revian Red and it had amazing results. Mind = Blown. 

He's seeing me again in two months. 

For anyone in Melbourne, or in Australia for that matter. Go and see Dr Sinclair if you're at the start, middle or fearing it's too late of this journey. I've been around the block and he seems to be very good. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HalfFull said:

Ok so have an update. I saw Dr Sinclair and was very impressed. So impressed it's baffling to me how he's not recommended on this forum here as a recommended Dr.

What blew me away is the fact that they actually do FUE and FUT and use Mario Marzola - https://www.sinclairdermatology.com.au/dr-mario-marzola/

Anyhow, while it cost me a fortune to see Dr Sinclair, in my estimation it's nothing compared to the cost I've spent over the past 20 years so may as well get the best advice I can at this stage.

His recommendation to me was oral minoxidil, 1 per day for 4 weeks the 2 per day after that. Also Krastase Densifique and Kerastase shampoo. He showed me the data and clinical trials on them, I said sign me up. The cost for the 4 months on that is costly ($110 cheaper to buy through him though when you get them all). 

Notably the other thing he recommended (much to my shock) was a laser cap. He said he had just finished a clinical trial of the Revian Red and it had amazing results. Mind = Blown. 

For anyone in Melbourne, or in Australia for that matter. Go and see Dr Sinclair if you're at the start, middle or fearing it's too late of this journey. I've been around the block and he seems to be very good. 

Hey mate,

Glad you got a positive experience!

I didn't realise we even had an ISHRS surgeon in Australia. 

Just out of curiosity, how did you actually see Dr. Sinclair? When I enquired with his clinic, I just got put with a doctor who had availability.

She is actually fantastic, so I have no issues there, but I was more-so curious. Do you also mind me asking how much the consult was? Interested to see if it's more expensive than seeing his other doctors.

Best of luck!

6 hours ago, HalfFull said:

Good post, thanks for sharing.

What dosage of minoxidil was recommended to you? Leaves me slightly more assured about taking it as I previous stopped due to long term health concerns.

18 hours ago, s14a said:

Good post, thanks for sharing.

What dosage of minoxidil was recommended to you? Leaves me slightly more assured about taking it as I previous stopped due to long term health concerns.

The oral Minoxidil I was prescribed is 60x 0.04MG Rapid-Tabs. First 4 weeks one under the tongue, then twice a day after that.

To be honest, I'm not concerned about oral Minoxidil at all. Been on the topical one for 20 years. Finasteride is the one everyone should be very concerned about.

6 hours ago, HalfFull said:

The oral Minoxidil I was prescribed is 60x 0.04MG Rapid-Tabs. First 4 weeks one under the tongue, then twice a day after that.

To be honest, I'm not concerned about oral Minoxidil at all. Been on the topical one for 20 years. Finasteride is the one everyone should be very concerned about.

Agree about finasteride, I don't take it.

That's a fairly low dosage of minoxidil, I was on 10mg per day. I think I will try and find some minoxidil to replicate your recommended dosage. Please keep us posted, thanks.